Preventing Wound Licking

KK Team

Hi All,

I hope I have posted to the right area.

Just wanted to see if anyone has advice to help. My dog recently had an operation. Stitches, on the inner thight have come out. I need advice on preventing her from licking the wound. I have an Elizabethan collar on her (25cm), but when she lies down and curls up, even with the collar, she can lick the wound.

She can wriggle out of bandages. I have tried a sock over the leg and thigh, but it slips down to her hock when she moves or lies down.

Does anyone know if you can get Elizabethan collars that are longer in length? I think as she is a Dobermann, the standard Elibethan collars don't work as efficiently die to her longish muzzle.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

regards

KK Team.

Another one here for a basket muzzle, Smooch wears one every night as he has a sore on his leg that I have been trying to heal up for months, he only licks it off a night when I am asleep or when I am in the shower, he is so cunning about it. It is nearly healed up I just have to make sure I put it on him of a night.

One of these. http://www.farmerswarehouse.com.au/product.php?productid=22552&cat=606&page=1

Hi All,

I did consider that and will give it a try. It just seems sad that she will have to wear it when I'm not home.

Hey Ruthless, I've met you and your hubby before. Friend of Monika's. Tow of my dogs are sired by her Rex.

Another one to consider is a Novaguard.

This is one of our kids wearing one while flying through a doggy door. As you can see it doesn't restrict them like a traditional elizabethan collar does. The one in the photo is trimmed short for our dog but it does come longer and is fully adjustable. Might be worth an email to them or contact them via Facebook.

post-37151-0-16196700-1328595699_thumb.jpg

Instead of using an elizabethan or the like How about you spray some cetrigen (purple spray) on the wound. It deters licking or chewing by a foul taste and is an antibiotic and fly repellent. it works wonderful sprayed on bandages too. Ensure it is applied outdoors and is dry before re-entering indoor areas ( Stains purple when wet).

Will shampoo off when required.

Even the most frantic lickers or chewers are deterred by this and No discomfort of a collar.

Edited by nowstarin

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

Dxenion. The Novaguard looks interesting and agree, it is more streamlined than an Elizebethan Collar. Pity there are no vets in Sydney that sell them. I might order one on line.

Nowstarin. My girl is a licker and I don't think the spray will deter her. I just need the few days where she leaves the wound alone and allow the skin to heal and she should be fine. It's not an open wound and there's only a slight red tinge.

I might try the muzzle as I can easily get that from a pet store and won't have it on when I am at home. Will order a Novaguard to have handy at home.

Thanks all. :)

Make sure you have the muzzle properly fitted. Some are too narrow in the bit under the eyes, and it rubs uncomfortably on cheekbones :( Some are also not deep enough to allow full opening of mouth .

You need to train the dog to wear a muzzle ..just can't put it on and go to work :( IMO It takes a few days to get them Comfortable with it, and used to drinking , resting etc with it on. Some dogs react badly to having that thing on their faces .

There is a risk if the dog tries to paw the muzzle off .. and gets a claw or foot stuck .

No way do I ever leave one on when a dog is unsupervised (except in bed of a night, cos Hamlet sleeps in my room, and he has been wearing one on & off for 6 years)

We used a 35cm ecollar for our dobe. It was the perfect length but his neck was to thin, so we had to tape it a bit smaller then attach it to a collar so it would stay on. Looks pretty dodgy, but does the trick :) I can post up a pic if you like.

It took several different sizes to finally work this out, after having a few dobes at work (a vet clinic) getting to their staples.

Persephone - She is in a secura pen and not allowed out except on a lead for toilet breaks. I go home at lunch to let her out for a toilet break. There will be someone at home too keep an eye on her, but I can't expect them to sit there and watch her like a hawk. When I get home, it will be taken off as I will be able to watch her. I will of course take some time for her to get used to it before just leaving it on her.

Jessca - she is currently using a 25cm Elizabethan collar. It fits perfectly around the neck, but not long enough. Happy if you could post or message me a pic of the 35cm.

thanks again everyone

These are photos of a 40cm, but you get the idea of how we did it.

It's doubled over (you can see where the light shows thru one side more than the other)

5F89DFC7.jpg

And how wr've taped it.

FF8F595D.jpg

It looks dodgy but does the job.

Sorry I didn't take any on my dobe, he was asleep and I didn't have the heart to wake him :laugh: If you want a pic with him wearing it I'll take one later (although the 40cm is way to big on him).

Hamish (Rottweiler) has just had ingrown hairs removed from his hock, vet put a 30cm elizabethan collar on him. Luckily he doesn't need it as someone is usually home to remind him to leave it alone. Bandage comes off tomorrow but the collar will go back on if he won't leave it alone.

He had the biggest sulk when the collar was fitted :laugh: .

Hope everything goes well.

I must remember to get one of those - would be handy to have rather than the massive bucket the vet gave me.

Dxenion, I did not realise Rakim was a poster boy for them

He's one of them. The White Swiss Shepherd with the ball in her mouth belongs to another DOLer (name escapes me at the moment though)

Thanks Andisa.

Yes. You should see her face when the E collar gos on. Like the world has ended............lol.

I spoke to the maker of Novaguard yesterday and after a few messages and advice from Dxenion, I'm going to try Novaguard.

Thanks All.