Dog Bites On Tv

oakway

I don't know why we're blaming the anchor, it's the owners job to know the dog and look after it. The anchor is just a normal person who doesn't know much about dogs.

Aidan surely you are just saying this to get a bite....pardon the pun.

Nope. Your dog, your responsibility. Assume everyone else in the world knows less about your dog than you do, unless you have a very good reason to trust them. To do anything else is naive, and could cost your dog's life. Obviously people can still do things that are beyond your control or responsibility, but this is not the case here.

I don't know the full circumstances but there are a number of questions raised when a dog has been chasing wildlife, without mandatory vaccinations, then gets paraded around the media in a studio filled with bright lights and pointed cameras, while a complete stranger is allowed to molest the dog, the whole time the owner has a nervous death-grip on the leash...

Yep fair call you are right.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why we're blaming the anchor, it's the owners job to know the dog and look after it. The anchor is just a normal person who doesn't know much about dogs.

Aidan surely you are just saying this to get a bite....pardon the pun.

Nope. Your dog, your responsibility. Assume everyone else in the world knows less about your dog than you do, unless you have a very good reason to trust them. To do anything else is naive, and could cost your dog's life. Obviously people can still do things that are beyond your control or responsibility, but this is not the case here.

:thumbsup:

When I first started driving my pop told me to assume everyone else on the road is an idiot and to watch them.

Most people don't know how to read dogs, what seems common sense to us really isn't. She looked like a well meaning dog lover to me, an uneducated one, but obviously a dog lover the way she wasn't showing breed bias to a dogo. To an anxious dog these are the worst type of people to be around! The owner never should have put the dog in that position.

I feel sorry for everyone involved in this story and hope it doesn't end in poor Max getting put down.

Edited by Sezz

What kind of idiot tries to kiss a strange dog!!! I mean seriously, who in their right mind does that?

A vet I tried not so long ago!!!!!

Seriously... He was recommended to me by a friend (I should have known better, she doesn't have much dog knowledge).

I took my boy there for his vacc. as I thought I'd give the guy a try..

Took my SBT into the surgery and the guy proceeded to grab Alf either side of his head and started rubbing his face around the dogs face - I was like 'woah bud what are you doing????'. He was saying oh he's so lovely, my reply was - you don't even KNOW the dog and you're doing that to him????

Needless to say I stopped the appointment there and then and went back to my normal vet.

This is a supposedly qualified, 'sensible' person???? sheesh

This has happened to me too TWICE - unbelievable, once at the surgery and once at a dog event where the vet got the dog so silly she caused the dog to do a sort of back flip and land heavily when she was cuddling the dog and roughing up its head while carrying it. The bloody woman has had all sorts of trouble with her dogs, no wonder !

All I can say is

Sums it up.

Quite a few years back, a young labrador bit someone at a public event in Brisbane. But everyone understood, in that case... including the bitten person.

It was at a Blessing of the Pets on World Animal Day.

Then-Archbishop of Brisbane, Peter Hollingworth, was going along the lines of dogs & owners, with a holy-water shaker (looked like a larger salt dispenser).

He'd shake it in the direction of the dog's head. Most dogs just blinked, copping a sprinkling of holy water. Except one, a young labrador owned by the Councillor who was in charge of animal control.

When the holy water shaker came at his head, the lab thought he & his owner were being attacked. So he bit the Archbishop's hand. Not causing awful injuries, but it was a bite.

The Archbishop, who loved dogs, said it was understandable. The owner was a bit embarrassed as he was in charge of the city's dog control. The labrador had already shown his opinion...& was duly forgiven for mistaking an archbishop for a mugger.

All I can say is

Sums it up.

Quite a few years back, a young labrador bit someone at a public event in Brisbane. But everyone understood, in that case... including the bitten person.

It was at a Blessing of the Pets on World Animal Day.

Then-Archbishop of Brisbane, Peter Hollingworth, was going along the lines of dogs & owners, with a holy-water shaker (looked like a larger salt dispenser).

He'd shake it in the direction of the dog's head. Most dogs just blinked, copping a sprinkling of holy water. Except one, a young labrador owned by the Councillor who was in charge of animal control.

When the holy water shaker came at his head, the lab thought he & his owner were being attacked. So he bit the Archbishop's hand. Not causing awful injuries, but it was a bite.

The Archbishop, who loved dogs, said it was understandable. The owner was a bit embarrassed as he was in charge of the city's dog control. The labrador had already shown his opinion...& was duly forgiven for mistaking an archbishop for a mugger.

Great story Mita. :D

A DENVER morning television anchor bitten on the face last week by a just-rescued dog has revealed her injuries required 70 stitches, which meant her mouth was effectively sealed shut, The Denver Post reported.

Anchor Kyle Dyer, of KUSA-TV, was leaning close to Max, a three-year-old Argentine mastiff, when he suddenly bit her live on air during a segment last Wednesday about the dog's miraculous rescue from an icy reservoir the day before.

She was rushed to the Denver Health Medical Center, where she underwent reconstructive surgery to repair injuries to her lip and face.

Over the weekend she posted a message on her Facebook page which said the surgery had taken four hours and that her face was now covered by 70 stitches, The Post reported.

"I am unable to talk because my mouth is stitched shut to allow for the skin graft to take and get the blood circulating in my lips again," Dyer wrote, adding her thanks to friends and viewers for their messages of support.

"I return to the doctor this ... week and expect another procedure in the next few weeks."

Meanwhile, Max is still in quarantine at a Denver animal control facility, where authorities are monitoring him for signs he is carrying a communicable disease.

After 10 days, the dog will be released back to his owner.

"I am unable to talk because my mouth is stitched shut to allow for the skin graft to take and get the blood circulating in my lips again," Dyer wrote, adding her thanks to friends and viewers for their messages of support.

Good.

Maybe it'll give her time to stop flapping her mouth and think about how much of a idiot she was.

That's a bit harsh, BettyPup. Normal dogs don't do that and normal people don't know what dogs can deal with. No doubt she has learned now, in fact I'd be surprised if she didn't feel some apprehension just seeing a dog in the street now.

That's a bit harsh, BettyPup. Normal dogs don't do that and normal people don't know what dogs can deal with. No doubt she has learned now, in fact I'd be surprised if she didn't feel some apprehension just seeing a dog in the street now.

It wasn't a normal dog though.

The dog was probably under immense stress from it's ordeal, only then to put up with that woman and the camera lights and the studio audience.

Putting her face so close to a unknown dog is a stupid thing to do to begin with, but after knowing what that dog went through and acting the way she did, it was idiotic.

Edited by BettyPup

The dog was probably under immense stress from it's ordeal, only then to put up with that woman and the camera lights and the studio audience.

Putting her face so close to a unknown dog is a stupid thing to do to begin with, but after knowing what that dog went through and acting the way she did, it was idiotic.

I agree with what your saying 100% but I think the dogs owner should have assesed the situation and warned her accordingly aswell... unless he did and the makers of this news segment didnt take his advice and wanted to push some kind of image through

I agree with what your saying 100% but I think the dogs owner should have assesed the situation and warned her accordingly aswell... unless he did and the makers of this news segment didnt take his advice and wanted to push some kind of image through

Yea, I'm hoping it was just the presenter being ignorant to the situation.

Given how quickly the owner was able to pull him back though is a good sign.

The woman still should've shown some respect to the dog, regardless of being told or not. :C

Just common sense ya know.