Ingrown Hairs

Andisa

Ok I got curious enough to ask now.

Hamish had swelling to his hock for a couple of weeks, at first I thought he must have knocked it or something bit him, then when it got worse - a grass seed. He was not lame and it never bothered him until the other day and he started licking it constantly and made a mess of it within a few days. Took him to the vet and it was ingrown hairs, he was sedated to have a good look and clean it out. Hope the vet got it all, if not he will need to get knocked out to have the whole area cut open to get at it.

420258_369464846399889_100000091313049_1531730_71296805_n.jpg

420258_369464849733222_100000091313049_1531731_352408236_n.jpg

3 days later.

420258_369464856399888_100000091313049_1531732_531319068_n.jpg

420258_369464859733221_100000091313049_1531733_349271405_n.jpg

Has anyone had a dog with ingrown hairs before, just seems weird :o ?

I have seen ingrown hairs along the spine on Ridgebacks but I have never seen the problem in that area, on the last pic it looks like the skin is sloughing off. Is that what is happening?

Are you applying anything to the skin and is he on Antibiotics?

I have seen ingrown hairs along the spine on Ridgebacks but I have never seen the problem in that area, on the last pic it looks like the skin is sloughing off. Is that what is happening?

Are you applying anything to the skin and is he on Antibiotics?

Some of the skin was licked/chewed off and I suppose dying off, yes he is on AB's. I was told to either leave it alone or just wash it with salt water, the bandage came off a few mins before the last 2 pics were taken.

Vet said it was like a little cave of ingrown hairs :confused: .

Oh - you just reminded me that I have seen ingrown hairs that turned in to nasty abscesses too along the spine of a GSD many years ago, forgot all about that one.

One of my bitches had a lump between her toes, I thought it was a grass seed, but it didn't go down and nothing came out so I took her to the vet and they charged me $450 to put her under, cut it open and clean it out, but they couldn't find a reason for the lump. Six months later it came up again and I decided to treat it myself instead of forking out another $450 so I waited until it came right up into a big red lump then I popped it and squeezed it and out came a heap of ingrown hairs. I washed it out with warm salt water twice a day and put Betadine on it and it's never come up again.

It's a common problem in GSD's, my girl(God rest her beautiful soul) had several in her lifetime and my GSD boy has had only two.

Feels like a large lump and when you squeeze it puss and what looks like a small white ball pops out. This leaves a nasty small hole which bleeds and I treat it like an open wound and rub Ilium Neocort into it twice daily till it heals.

It's a common problem in GSD's, my girl(God rest her beautiful soul) had several in her lifetime and my GSD boy has had only two.

Feels like a large lump and when you squeeze it puss and what looks like a small white ball pops out. This leaves a nasty small hole which bleeds and I treat it like an open wound and rub Ilium Neocort into it twice daily till it heals.

Both my GSD's boys have/had these. I'm told they are sebaceous cysts and are filled with a fatty deposit. When the old boy got one it grew so large he had to be put under and have it surgically opened up andcleaned out. Nowadays I pop them while still small and deal with them much as you do.

Both my GSD's boys have/had these. I'm told they are sebaceous cysts and are filled with a fatty deposit. When the old boy got one it grew so large he had to be put under and have it surgically opened up andcleaned out. Nowadays I pop them while still small and deal with them much as you do.

Agreed

Brutus has had an ongoing problem with the ingrown hairs, he had a spot on his leg like that that comes an goes. Its an ongoing problem... hit it with the antibiotics for a while and it goes a away and then nearly heals then for some reason it will randomly flare up again. I also mix up a magnesium solution to draw the hairs out and the other gunk... that works wonders.

Our old dobe (rip) had ingrown hairs in the same spot. Bloody vet gave us a heart attack when he mentioned the word cancer. But luckily it was just the hairs. He only ever had it the once so hopefully hamish is the same!