White Dog Poo

Staffyluv

I think I recall something about raw bones causing it but I wanted to make sure...

Today on our morning walk, Ziggy did 3 small poos and they were white.

He had a big marrow bone yesterday. I checked when I got home this morning and he has eaten nearly all of it...

Can someone put my mind at peace please... The white poo is just from the raw bones?

TIA

yes, it is :)

Marrowbones/shanks can be very hard on teeth, and also shards can splinter sometimes ..sharp bits which aren't really ideal in stomachs ...

will he eat roo tails , or frozen chicken frames, or beef brisket bones maybe? They are a bit softer, and don't splinter .Freezing them slows down chewing time a bit ;)

Thanks all.

I am relatively new to feeding raw bones as my old boy got fussy and would never eat them.

Maybe one every couple of days is to much. I usually give frozen chook wings or brisket bones but could not get the brisket bones so bought him a marrow bone. It was probably 4 times the size of his usual brisket bones (they are about 10cm) and the marrow nine would easily have been as big as a ruler...

I bought some turkey necks today so will try him on them tomorrow

I never feed weight bearing bones, including roo tail - they are too hard - at best cause teeth to wear down & at worst lead to slab fractures of the tooth. I feed chicken carcases or wings every other day, brisket bones & whole rabbit occasionally, but best of all I (& the dogs) like lamb breast bones & shoulder blades. They are lovely soft, cartilage type bones. Staffyluv, make friends with your butcher or head out to the Fyshwick markets :D

Edited by trifecta

Trifecta, I will get some chicken carcasses and see how he goes. I freeze the wings as he tends not to chew them and then throws them back up, silly pup.

I always thought lamb was fatty? After having an old dog with pancreatic issues (requiring an almost fat free diet), I must admit feeding fatty meaty bones makes me nervous. But I will,get some as i am sure he will love them.

He seems to prefer raw bones to anything else.

At the moment he gets a cup of Nutro large need puppy and a tin of sardines in oil for breakfast and a bone of some description (chook wing, brisket bone, turkey neck) durning the day and then half a cup of Nutro and some roll ( from petstock, can't recall the name) or just some human grade mince with some grated/chopped veg added.

He has days where he seems to be extra hungry and others where he does not eat a lot at all. I try to take his lead and remove food after about 20 minutes if he leaves it...

His weight is good and he seems healthy enough, so I must be doing something right :)

I was feeding my dogs lamb bones every day until Hamish got pancreatitis days before Christmas last year. He is eating chicken, rabbit and turkey barf and chicken frames now and I have decreased the amount of lamb bones for the others. I think having lamb bones every day may have caused the pancreatitis buy he is back to a normal diet without any issues. Just keeping a closer eye on the fat that he gets and feeding less of the fatty bones to all of them now. I have given him the odd lamb and beef barf, without issues and hubby had a brain fart last week giving him a marrow bone. Luckily I got home in time before he had a chance to really get in to it.

I don't know if he will have issues again but I am happy to be able to continue feeding him bones - just need to be careful keeping the fat down.

I was feeding my dogs lamb bones every day until Hamish got pancreatitis days before Christmas last year. He is eating chicken, rabbit and turkey barf and chicken frames now and I have decreased the amount of lamb bones for the others. I think having lamb bones every day may have caused the pancreatitis buy he is back to a normal diet without any issues. Just keeping a closer eye on the fat that he gets and feeding less of the fatty bones to all of them now. I have given him the odd lamb and beef barf, without issues and hubby had a brain fart last week giving him a marrow bone. Luckily I got home in time before he had a chance to really get in to it.

I don't know if he will have issues again but I am happy to be able to continue feeding him bones - just need to be careful keeping the fat down.

Once Ollie had it once, he was prone to small 'attacks' if he ate anything out of the ordinary.

He spent 3 days in hospital on a drip because the next door neighbours felt sorry for him and gave him a rissole and sausage from the BBQ (one day when I was out for the day)... They felt bad when I explained it but they weren't to know...

If he ate anything fatty, he would get ill again..

I am going to get some lamb bones for boofhead and see how he goes though - he will only get them rarely until I feel sure about it (having had a sick dog, I seem to be over protective of this one because I don't want him to get sick)...

Andisa - Cant I ask how often do you feed bones now? do you give a chicken frame daily?

He was on rabbit barf for the first few weeks, then tried him on chicken, then turkey allowing plenty of time between variety to see how he went. It was probably a month later that he got his first chicken frame. I gave him a chicken frame every second day for a week then gave him 2 frames daily with the barf for another week to see how he would go, so far so good. Now I give him chicken frames a few times a week.

When he was sick he was still hydrated enough to stay home, had he stopped drinking he would have been admitted to the vets and on a drip, vet was happy for him to come home but we stayed in touch.

I might be wrong but I honestly believe that he was not put on a drip due to the raw diet.

Once Ollie had it once, he was prone to small 'attacks' if he ate anything out of the ordinary.

He spent 3 days in hospital on a drip because the next door neighbours felt sorry for him and gave him a rissole and sausage from the BBQ (one day when I was out for the day)... They felt bad when I explained it but they weren't to know...

If he ate anything fatty, he would get ill again..

I am going to get some lamb bones for boofhead and see how he goes though - he will only get them rarely until I feel sure about it (having had a sick dog, I seem to be over protective of this one because I don't want him to get sick)...

It's only natural to be worried with another dog after everything you went through with Ollie.

I asked the vet about changing the diet for Hamish and he said as long as I keep the fat down he should be right. Another vet at the same clinic tried to talk me in to giving him Advance but I told her no thanks and I would go back to the basics with him on a lower fat natural diet. So far so good, just hope I have made the right choice - mind you I did question myself about the way I was/am feeding there for a while :confused: . The first vet was more concerned about cooked bones/fat but I don't feed them anyway - what a shame your neighbours gave them to Ollie.

It's strange how some dogs can eat anything and never have a problem while others can be sensitive. Hamish is the first dog I have had that has needed a little extra thought in to what I give him other than when I started raw feeding.

I suppose I just have to wait and see. I never give them Marrow bones and no idea why hubby bought them - it's been 8 yrs since he bought bones for the dogs (for his old girl) and he just "assumed" I fed them, goes to prove he isn't listening to me.

Edited by Andisa

I think I recall something about raw bones causing it but I wanted to make sure...

Today on our morning walk, Ziggy did 3 small poos and they were white.

He had a big marrow bone yesterday. I checked when I got home this morning and he has eaten nearly all of it...

Can someone put my mind at peace please... The white poo is just from the raw bones?

TIA

Watch this old video with Ray Martin & Tom Lonsdale. Almost half way through TL will explain this question.

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/tvVideo/raymartin/raymartin.html