How To Remove A Leech

Malamum

Help, Indy has a massive leech on him. It's obviously been there for a while as it's massive and very full.

We know that just pulling at it is not the best way to remove it but are at a bit of a loss at what do.

Help, I'm freaking out as I hate leeches with a passion. :eek::eek:

I thought you weren't supposed to put salt on it.

I've done a bit of a google search and it says to get something really sharp and get under the teeth. However that is easier said than done when you've got a whole heap of fur and an uncooperative dog to deal with.

The general concensus here is salt. If concerned try pouring on salty water. It should let go. If you try to pull it off you may have teeth left in the wound. Told by survival man (OH) that you always use salt. Might be old world but safer than a lit match. I see that the concern is the leech vomiting bacteria into the wound site.

Most important not to try to pull off. You may need to get a vet to check wound site though.

The leech will let go when it's had enough blood, don't worry it will have no ill effect on your dog.

Edited by LizT

Ok false alarm. :o

It wasn't actually a leach. It was a massive earthworm all caught up in his fur.

Mum and Dad were coming over for lunch so while the OH held Indy down Dad had the job of removing the supposed leach. Everyone had a good laugh at my expense once the earthworm was removed. :laugh:

Mum and Dad were coming over for lunch so while the OH held Indy down Dad had the job of removing the supposed leach. Everyone had a good laugh at my expense once the earthworm was removed. :laugh:

:rofl:

poor earthworm :(

:rofl: Poor massive fat 'greedy' earthworm!

I wondered why it was holding on for so long???? :laugh:

Edited by LizT

:rofl:

poor earthworm :(

:rofl: Poor massive fat 'greedy' earthworm!

I wondered why it was holding on for so long???? :laugh:

Probably couldn't find its way out of the fur!