Pet Insurance

A-B-C

ABC I *think* they will only not cover anything they'd consider pre-existing, and they're pretty broad with that.

So if Bronson's ever had itchy skin noted on his file - they won't cover you for any skin conditions.

Had an eye infection? No eye problems

etc etc etc

Petplan only pay 65% of the bill once they're over 7-8 years old too. So you'd have to weigh up if it's worth it cos the premium would probably be expensive too.

My insurance has paid over $5000 - and my dogs aren't elderly or sickly. If I had saved I wouldn't have been able to cover the costs with those savings. Most things are covered, but then I've had them covered from day 1. You can't expect insurance to cover everything for an elderly dog if you're insuring them for the first time.

I wasn't meaning that I expected them to cover everything etc, just worried that it would be an excuse for them to knock back everything (thus waste my money). Was pet insurance even around 8 years ago??? If it was, it was far from normal.

TBH I've always been more than willing to foot the bill myself. Thesedays it seems that vet's prices are being plumped up nicely thanks to insurance becoming more common and 'real' people not actually having to foot the bill... thus they are becoming less and less affordable. :(

I doubt it has anything to do with insurance becoming more common- It seems to me everything has become more expensive. Why not veterinary services? I don't even think pet insurance is all that common :confused:

ETA- I had to actually ring up to insure my girl because she was 6.5yrs at the time so probably best to ring and see what they will/won't cover in an 8yr old dog.

Edited by Jumabaar

I am with Bow Wow Meow, they were the only insurance I could find that would cover Penny and Mac who were older dogs(7 and 8) when I adopted them. BWM would only cover them for accidents. I did have a claim from them when Penny got a pig knuckle stuck in her oesophagus...they paid promptly, it was classed as an accident/injury.

I also have the two of them covered with RACQ as an extra to our house and contents insurance. This covers up to $500 but as the excess is $50 I only get $450 back....it is a great help though as Penny got a tick and was in the vet hospital over Christmas and then 3 weeks ago she had a lump removed from her nipple...RACQ paid $450 for both those claims (the vet bill was more than the $450!)

I insured Daisy with BWM as well, as I get a little discount, she is insured for sickness and injury, no claims so far, she has an excess of $500

BWM cost me just under $800 a year, I do an automatic monthly direct debit which does cost a little extra than paying the full annual amount but I can always cancel this if the pi$$ me off,

RACQ will only insure two dogs per household.

I know some of the DOLers have no time for BWM as they have been treated badly by them but so far I don't have a grizzle.

Edited by Boronia

• 3 weeks later...

I use and LOVE Medibank Private. It only costs me $222.58 a year to insure Kyojin, with $500 excess.

I made my first claim 4 months after getting pet insurance when we discovered that Kyojin had luxating patellas. Since May of last year, We have spent approximately $7000-8000 on him. That is for about a squillion consults, xrays, and surgery of his left knee. The actual cost to us has only been the $722.58 - excess and premium. Otherwise, every cent has been returned to us and each claim within 2 weeks, no questions asked.

Minxy, when was this ?

Medibank Private, underwritten by Hollard Insurance Company specifically states in section 2.2 (point 2) that they will not pay for or cover any vet expenses attributable to petellar luxation.

Looks like all pet insurance underwritten by Hollard has the same PDS.

http://www.medibank.com.au/pet-insurance/pdfs/MPL918%20-%20Pet%20Insurance%20PDS%20FA%20web2.pdf for reference

I use and LOVE Medibank Private. It only costs me $222.58 a year to insure Kyojin, with $500 excess.

I made my first claim 4 months after getting pet insurance when we discovered that Kyojin had luxating patellas. Since May of last year, We have spent approximately $7000-8000 on him. That is for about a squillion consults, xrays, and surgery of his left knee. The actual cost to us has only been the $722.58 - excess and premium. Otherwise, every cent has been returned to us and each claim within 2 weeks, no questions asked.

Minxy, when was this ?

Medibank Private, underwritten by Hollard Insurance Company specifically states in section 2.2 (point 2) that they will not pay for or cover any vet expenses attributable to petellar luxation.

http://www.medibank.com.au/pet-insurance/pdfs/MPL918%20-%20Pet%20Insurance%20PDS%20FA%20web2.pdf for reference

He's still being treated for it currently. Medibank won't treat for patella luxation under Accident cover, only Illness.

Hadn't realised there was a difference between illness and accident cover before, thought that clause applied to all cases of luxating patellas!

Thank you for clearing that up :)

I've been looking this up as it looks like my dog has grade 2, might be headed to grade 3 soon.

I wonder if its considered a pre-existing condition in this case.

Minxy, when was this ?

He's still being treated for it currently. Medibank won't treat for patella luxation under Accident cover, only Illness.

I have both my cats under PIA and Archie is with BWM. The only illness that any of them had was the older cat when she got Panleukapenia (Feline Parvo), it cost me over $2,000 but that was before I got insurance. None of them have been sick or injured since.

Our vet does a Vet Plan, where if you can't afford the bill they will arrange a payment plan over 12 months, interest free. I am seriously thinking of cancelling their insurance and banking it into a "Pet Fund" instead....

How do you cancel insurances?

Do you have to write a letter and send it snail mail, or can you ring up or email them?

Lynn

Medibank for my 3 too. They paid promptly when Nellie sliced open her pad at the park which required stitching. Had a bit more of an issue getting them to pay the 2k knee surgery bill for Shaemus as they tried to say it was pre-existing but with a letter from the vet it was all sorted and they paid up.

I just received a letter in the mail recently saying they will now only cover up to 80% of the total bill but that seems to be what most pet insurance companies do now..

Medibank for my 3 too. They paid promptly when Nellie sliced open her pad at the park which required stitching. Had a bit more of an issue getting them to pay the 2k knee surgery bill for Shaemus as they tried to say it was pre-existing but with a letter from the vet it was all sorted and they paid up.

I just received a letter in the mail recently saying they will now only cover up to 80% of the total bill but that seems to be what most pet insurance companies do now..

Petplan still cover 100%, minus your excess.

They are a little pricier than some of the others but I felt it was worth it for peace of mind that they will pay all of the vet bills (minus our $100 excess)