Vet Nurses>>>>

jossfarmer

Help from fellow Vet Nurses please :)

WHAT TRAINING PROVIDER (TAFE ect) DID YOU USE TO GAIN YOUR CERT/DIPLOMA?

I'm having trouble deciding where to do my Vet Nursing course. What where the pro's and con's to where you did your course. Any suggestions or help would be amazing! Im very open to listening to all opinions.

I'm in Victoria but I am very open to distance education from other states.

Also what text books do you have and recommend?

Thanks SO MUCH in advance guys.

I went to Box Hill TAFE- the vet nurse campus area is small, you are in the same class room most of the time. Its good to meet other nurses, learn different techniques, the days where you get to work in the surgery there are really good. My only criticism is more hands on stuff would be great but the course is designed as they assume you should be able to do all that stuff at work. Got to assist in a Cesarean though which was awesome. Cons - our notes were outdated for many units (but I'm told they are updating them all now), some units seemed like a waste of time (entire course has now been changed I'm also told).

Books, I prefer the books designed for veterinary technicians as I found the one tafe recommended was too basic. I bought from amazon -

Anaesthesia and analgesia. John Thomas, Phillip Lerche

Small animal surgical nursing: skills and concepts. Sara Busch

BSAVA Textbook of veterinary nursing - our tafe recommended textbook.

Im looking for something more via correspondence as I work full time at my clinic.

Look in to GOTafe (I think it's Gouldburn valley but search GOTafe and something should come up), they do quite a few things by distance. Don't know anything about them other than they seem to offer a lot by distance but it may be worth looking in to.

Im looking for something more via correspondence as I work full time at my clinic.

Oh sorry didn't realize you were only interested in correspondence, its one day a week in class if you wanted to do it that way. If not they do correspondence with a practical component that is run on a weekend and I think it is only once per semester. Same course materials and I am not sure but they may do a workplace visit as well.

AVT in Perth has a correspondence course: http://www.appvoc.com

I started the course several years ago (didn't get very far, life got in the way) but I found their materials and support quite good. :)

This course is for students who cannot attend our centre. It is suitable for people from outside of Perth, both within Australia and Overseas. This program operates similarly to the Part Time program, except all studies are done away from our centre. Students will need access to a veterinary practice at certain times during their course. This access must be arranged by the student prior to us offering you a place in the course. If you are already working in a practice, you will do your practical training in that practice. If you do not have an arrangement with a practice, either as an employee or volunteer, then you will be required to locate one that will support your training. We do have a package available to assist in locating and approaching a practice.

Students may get all of their practical training in practice, or attend some of our workshops if possible.

You can do the Vet Nursing courses through these people - Animal Industries Resource Centre.

I did my Cert II through them and found them great. I had all the notes sent to me and had to submit regular assignments as well as do exams. I found it a lot more nursing focused than TAFE. I had an assessor I could call if I had any troubles and she also came to our clinic for a day to assess my practical skills.

ditto, AIRC are very strict on their assignments but its worth it as you learn a heck of a lot more, plus they are very helpful and flexible if you are hving difficultie, couldnt recommend them more... seriously give them a call...

I've been thinking about vet nursing a lot lately.. but wondering if I'm too old to start all the training, or even gain employment in the field. I'm turning 40 this year, what do you think? :eek: A friend who is a vet nurse, thinks I missed my calling. I don't know, but I can't stop thinking about it either. I've never done any work with animals in a paid capacity. If I did go for it, distance education would be the only way I could do it, as I have school aged kids.

I'd love to work with animals, I've never had any trouble pilling any of mine and often help out friends with their difficult ones. But the biggest thing I have reservations about is helping in surgeries.. I honestly don't know if I could handle it or not.

I didn't think I would be able to handle it, but it was fine. Mind you our surgeries aren't too bad in the scheme of things (eyes) but they can still be pretty gory. We had a vet student almost faint during one!