Puppy Hates Having Bath

PennyLane

Hi, just after some advice.

My puppy HATES having a bath. She cries and howls when I even try to put her near water.

She does however try to sit in her water bowl throughout the day but it seems to be on her terms only!!

Does anyone have any tips on trying to make her bath time a happy time?

It's scary!!

How old is your pup? Unless she is really filthy - she doesn't need many baths .. if she is a short coated dog - a good brush every day, and wipe over with a damp microfibre cloth to remove dust/loose hair may be all she needs for a few weeks ...

I usually start pups off outside .. standing on a firm non slip surface (ground is best ) .. and obviously on leash . I have everything ready .. usually just a bucket full of warm water to begin..

then I show pup the jug ..fill it with warm water.. and gently tip it over pup's feet/legs , and backside ..while massaging, patting pup , and talking ... then I do shoulders and belly , NOT stopping if pup carries on .... finally , I wet my hand and rub it over the head/ears a couple of times .. then use a towel , and release pup with heaps of praise . I have two 5 mth olds here who will stand under a hose to be washed , or go in a laundry tub .. no soap or anything, they don't need it .. but just because it's so HOT here :)

Thanks, she is 4 months old and she is a Staffy.

I know it can be scary for her which is why I want her to learn that bath time is a good time.

I have tried doing it outside on a leash but she jumps and makes a huge fuss when I try to wet her with the smallest bit of water. She is great on a leash usually (walking and training etc) but just not when it's bath time.

Ive also tried in the laundry tub but again she howls and cries and tries to jump out. I try to reassure her that it is ok but she just cries and cries.

I don't usually wash her too often but she plays with my parents German Shepherd pup and they get into all kinds of mischief including jumping through mud LOL.

I guess what really makes me worry is that she doesnt hate water as she sits in her water bowl. It is just bath time she hates.

I guess I will try again with the leash and be super patient.

Thanks again for your help :-)

I started my pup out playing in the sprinkler over Christmas when it was hot, and then in the hose and now she tries to get in the shower with me ;)

But she also gets splashes of water to cool her down occasionally, so she's not scared of water. Can you try and make water fun, like playing in a sprinkler, going to the beach etc to get her used to it?

My pup hated being washed as well and i was given a tip to use warm water not cool. I thought cool water would be better as it's been so warm in WA but since using warmer water he's much better and seems to enjoy it now. Another tip would be to get one of those clam shells and fill it up with water and let her play by herself in it to start with then slowly introduce the hose, then soap.

My advice?

Just do it. Do a quick wash (or even a rinse), ignore the tantrum and reward like crazy with games/treats when its over.

And do it regularly. A pup won't learn that it's no big deal if you make it one and it doesn't happen often.

Even 2 minutes in the tub, a good rub down and a game is better than a big production when it really needs to be done.

Same applies to nails.. don't give a choice and do it often with rewards and a game when its over.

One tip though - don't wet the head for a while. Wait until body wetting is being tolerated.

I bath my 2 dogs in the laundry tub to save my back. The 1st time or 2 they tried to jump out & struggle so I had a collar on them to prevent this, the whole time telling them if was alright in a soothing voice. They are both coated breeds & take quite a bit of time to get them wet through & rinse off. I would think a staffy would be a lot easier to wet this & rinse.

Get a squeezy bottle like an old dishliquid or sauce bottle and put a squeeze of shampoo in it then fill it up with warm water and shake it up. Put your puppy in the bath or sink. DON'T put water in the bottom, and DON'T wet your puppy. Just sit them in the bath and start squeezing the warm shampoo mixture over close to the body, not from a distance away from the body, starting away from the head, and rub it in to get a lather. Use a bit of the lather on your hands to just wipe over the head/ears/face, and give your puppy a nice warm soapy massage. Then rinse by either using a few more squeezy bottles of warm fresh water, or use a small ladle like a cup and take warm water from a bucket prepared before you start. Just gently tip or squeeze the fresh warm water onto puppy close to the body, don't just drop it on from above. Essentially the idea is not to turn on a tap or use water pressure. I haven't found many puppies that will not at least tolerate this method. Puppy may still squirm & wiggle but gently persist. A nice towel massage to finish. And yes, practice once a week or so and reward even the tiniest improvement lavishly. Also stay calm and quiet yourself. Don't allow yourself to get caught up in the struggle & emotion. Good luck .

My advice?

Just do it. Do a quick wash (or even a rinse), ignore the tantrum and reward like crazy with games/treats when its over.

And do it regularly. A pup won't learn that it's no big deal if you make it one and it doesn't happen often.

Even 2 minutes in the tub, a good rub down and a game is better than a big production when it really needs to be done.

Same applies to nails.. don't give a choice and do it often with rewards and a game when its over.

One tip though - don't wet the head for a while. Wait until body wetting is being tolerated.

This. Agree totally. They dont have to love it, just tolerate it.

Be firm, work with a businesslike purpose and praise when the dog stays still or stops yelling for a second or two.

The more you 'give in' or be soft about it the more the dog learns that if it yells and wiggles it gets away with what it wants (and it will yell and wiggle even more next time).

As a groomer I had a LOT of dogs that yelled blue murder at first and 'hated baths'. With this type of approach after a number of sessions they generally would settle into the routine and no more yelling. They would hop willingly into the tub too and always enjoyed their post bath treat :D .

Agree with the squirt bottle idea too. Also use a bucket and sponge rather than a hose (one bucket for soapy water and one for rinsing). Much easier and more likely to be tolerated than a hose.

Edited by espinay2

Also ... maybe try one of those rubber suction mat in the bottom of the tub ... it makes the surface less slippery and they tend to feel more secure with their footing.

My older boy stopped wanting to be bathed after his feet slipped out from under him in the hydrobath ... the rubber mat makes it easier for him.

Edited by Tilly

I put a bit of water in the bath just enought to wet his paw and I played with him he has his rubber ducky which he chewed and chased in the tub. And all I did was pour water on him as he played so hey thought it was a game and now he is a ANGEL to bath boy noise nothing.

And as he got older less play and more rewards for good behaviour :)

I agree with the suggestion of treats.

From when he was really young i put Jager in the bath every few days (no water) and just gave him treats. When he was happy with that, i took a small jug of water in and pour a little bit in the bottom of the bath so that he can feel it running under his paws, continually treating. From there, i went to putting the plug in and putting a little bit of water in and splashing it around his legs (treat treat treat)... well you get the idea. I worked slowly up and now he stands while i wash him, dont need a lead or collar, just need my treats! I cant say he ENJOYS the experience but he stands quietly.

You just need to make the place that you will be washing him a great place to be.

I go along with the suggestion of putting the dog in the tub/bath, explain that you are the boss and this is going to get done! Works with cutting nails, grooming, injections, eye/ear treatments etc. Treat when the job is done.

eta - a '4' snuck in somehow.

Edited by pebbles