Updated - He Has Got Worse

kirsty79

To the OP, i wish you all the best with your situation. I agree with what Greytmate said.

For those questioning assessment procedures in a shelter. No matter how good your assessment procedures are- unfortunately there are some behaviours that simply don't present in the shelter environment. I am not suggesting thats the case here- i have no idea who the shelter is or how the dog presented and whether or not the dog was properly assessed.

I have gone out and assessed a dog who had been rehomed from a shelter. The dog had territorial aggression issues that were dangerous in the environment i saw the dog in. I assessed the dog in the home and then again upon its return to the shelter. The issue simply did not present in the shelter assessment and had i assessed the dog prior to rehoming, he would have passed. However, having seen the dog in a home environment and having first hand knowledge of the dogs issues allowed the right decision to be made regarding a second rehoming. While it should NOT happen often, there are situations where a dog is rehomed with a serious issue that no one was aware of. The question then becomes, once you know the issue is there- what is the shelter going to do about it. It should not be ignored or glossed over.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I haven't read through the whole thread but are you able to set up a video recording device to see what he is doing while you are out? I just use the webcam on my laptop and the pre-installed software which will record video. If it is outside maybe up on an undercover perch somewhere so you can angle it towards the door but keep the camera safe.

If you are not sure if it is separation anxiety some video footage would be incredibly useful for you, and potentially for a vetinary behaviourist if this dog ends up needing to go on medication.

All the best with this tough situation :flower:

OH and I were thinking of this just last night :) We have the laptop just no where to put it. Because we'd need to see the back door the only area is the patio which has a giant wooden table on it - unfortunately, due to some toys left up there (and not put there by us) we know Eric gets up on to it often. The laptop would be in pieces in minutes. Will have a look tonight but I don't even think there is anywhere we could put a makeshift shelf to rest it on.

Also on a side note. I am concerned about you having to nail shut your back door. Should you need to leave in an emergency and the other exit is blocked, as in the case of a fire you would be in serious trouble.

I know you are trying to keep Eric out of the house but, even though an unlikely event, your safety still needs to be considered. :)

Yes, I know it is only the shelter's responsibility. However, the OP has an opportunity to ask that this be followed through, as well as the other option to get a refund and just say good bye. If she does insist the shelter gets a proper assessment done, there is a better chance that the poor dog won't be just placed with another family, and they have their hearts broken too.

For the sake of your own sanity and to give the dog some peace, have him put to sleep, rather than shuffled back to a shelter, rehomed and set up for failure once again.

Not that you have failed but honestly I have no idea why people endure what they endure, it's not in their best interests and some dogs are better off given their wings .

I'd have taken him to be put to sleep once he shredded the back door the last time.

I don't think I would have waited past the first instance of him destroying the leather ottoman, he would have been returned to the shelter.

Is there no other shelters close to you? 4 hours away is a big trip. I'm wondering if they are an ethical shelter at all, given the crap advice you've been given.

I really don't understand why you would want such a destructive dog when there are literally hundreds of well behaved canines in foster care waiting for their forever home.

You need to think with your head, not your heart.

Sorry you are going through this, but honestly many people had already said to take the dog back after his last rampage, yet you chose not to.

I'd have taken him to be put to sleep once he shredded the back door the last time.

I don't think I would have waited past the first instance of him destroying the leather ottoman, he would have been returned to the shelter.

Is there no other shelters close to you? 4 hours away is a big trip. I'm wondering if they are an ethical shelter at all, given the crap advice you've been given.

I really don't understand why you would want such a destructive dog when there are literally hundreds of well behaved canines in foster care waiting for their forever home.

You need to think with your head, not your heart.

Sorry you are going through this, but honestly many people had already said to take the dog back after his last rampage, yet you chose not to.

His last rampage was only the end of last week. My partner is currently working a stint of 16 days work back to back, we couldn't have taken him back to the shelter yet. I wouldn't be able to drive 8 hours on my own. When I adopted Eric I believe there was paperwork which stated should at any point in the future I want to surrender or I am unable to keep him then I would return him to that shelter. I thought this was normal practice but I am now questioning the shelter. The shelters owner hasn't mentioned anything about what she will do with Eric if I return him or anything about having him assessed :(

oh well we own sophie a rescue dally that was rehomed to us via dol general pages nearly 2yo ... seems like yesterday. she is almost 4yo now..

i just have accepted that she eats stuff... like thongs.... and we try to keep them out of reach. when we fail she reminds us...she will always poop on the concrete... i have a shovel there at the ready... its just easier. the dog will not be re homed so we find way to live with her.

i would keep him in a run... on his own with a bone., when you are out..

[

His last rampage was only the end of last week. My partner is currently working a stint of 16 days work back to back, we couldn't have taken him back to the shelter yet.

Hope you all cope until your partner is off work. Young active big dog!

:( How sad.

he sounds far too much for most folks to handle .

I don't envy your decision making.

:hug:

Agreed. I don't envy your decision making either. :(

Try to think with your head, not your heart, about what you can cope with. Keep us posted. :hug:

For the person who wanted to know why anyone would want a dog like this - if you can put the work into them, over a long enough period, they are, or can be, the most wonderful, intensely 'all yours' dog. Duke (my IT) is a lot like this, although he's never eaten the door, he has removed the dog door so I now have a dog 'hole', the lounge got thrown out last pickup as he'd eaten quite a lot of it. He has pretty much stopped that, though. He'll eat anything not nailed down, and a lot of people want to know how I could put up with him (he also has full blown attacks of hysteria when you are walking him - much toned down after 3 years of dog shrink)

But- he's a wonderful, people focused dog that,now some focus has gotten into that brain, is translating into a wonderful dog to have around. He's been worth the vet bills, the doctor bills, the slight loss of hearing in the ear nearest him in the car. :)

For Eric, if you still want him, a run to go with that kennel, edged either with concrete or with concrete pavers for when you are not there would probably manage the issue.

Seems PTS is a default position for some . Pretty harsh advice considering it's based on an Internet forum diagnosis. Eric is a large young rescue dog who has only been in his new home for a month with new owners working full time . What do people expect ? He likes people , Pickles , other dogs and has been amenable to training.

To Kirsty79. , I'm sure you wouldn't take the advice to have Eric PTS yourself. I hope you are not too stressed out. It's a hard position to be in and whatever you decide you have to do will be the right thing.

Is there a neighbour or someone who can keep an eye on him to see what he gets up too? It would be good to know exactly what his behaviour is like when someone isn't home. Or maybe on a weekend ... leave him home and go out but sneak home to watch him.

I have a high drive dog ... he can be completely exhausted but leave him home for an hour and he will rearrange the yard. Not because he is stressed or suffering Seperation Anxiety but because he is having fun. Thankfully he is past that stage as he is maturing (touch wood).

Hope you can find the answers ... or at least make the decision which is right for you. Best of luck :hug:

For the person who wanted to know why anyone would want a dog like this - if you can put the work into them, over a long enough period, they are, or can be, the most wonderful, intensely 'all yours' dog.

Or they can give you a life of misery. Depends on what is causing the behaviour. This dog needs professional assessment, the owner does not need to be given hope when there may not be any.

He and Pickles are outside whilst we are at work which is Monday to Thursday 8am till 5pm. My partner and I both work too far away from home to be able to go home and let them out during the day otheriwse I'd have no problem at all with them inside all day. But 9 hours would just be too long toilet wise. They are inside all of the rest of the time, so inside more than out if worked out.

Dogs can go a lot more than 9 hrs. I had a girl who broke her leg and had to have it pinned. I lived in a basement apartment and getting her up the stairs was hard. The vet said she could go 26 hrs. Once a day worked fine.

He and Pickles are outside whilst we are at work which is Monday to Thursday 8am till 5pm. My partner and I both work too far away from home to be able to go home and let them out during the day otheriwse I'd have no problem at all with them inside all day. But 9 hours would just be too long toilet wise. They are inside all of the rest of the time, so inside more than out if worked out.

Dogs can go a lot more than 9 hrs. I had a girl who broke her leg and had to have it pinned. I lived in a basement apartment and getting her up the stairs was hard. The vet said she could go 26 hrs. Once a day worked fine.

Have you somewhere inside he can't completely destroy though?

My daughter and her boyfriend had thought that his mum and dad had taken their dog (9 year old large cross breed) with them to the beach house (as they usually do) but they had left him at home in the laundry. That was on the Friday night. They got up saturday morning, went out for the day, came home, went out for the night. And then discovered dog in laundry on Sunday morning. He had water and had been quiet and also hadn't toileted. Talk about feeling guilty though. :(

Edited by LizT

Seems PTS is a default position for some . Pretty harsh advice considering it's based on an Internet forum diagnosis. Eric is a large young rescue dog who has only been in his new home for a month with new owners working full time . What do people expect ? He likes people , Pickles , other dogs and has been amenable to training.

To Kirsty79. , I'm sure you wouldn't take the advice to have Eric PTS yourself. I hope you are not too stressed out. It's a hard position to be in and whatever you decide you have to do will be the right thing.

I wouldn't have Eric PTS no. As stressed as I am I believe he has so much potential, even if I can't give him the home he needs, someone who is more experienced or perhaps has the finance and extra time required must be able to. And he so deserves the chance. He is extremely obedient when we are home, is so fantastic with Pickles and other dogs, and he is so very very loving. I too also agree a month isn't long for a dog to be settled yet that was unclaimed at the pound by his owners, then rescued by a shelter and now in a new home, all in the matter of 3 months.