Herald Sun Today

piperspal

Observed

Mind blowing information presented by the Council legal team and Council representatives. Duration 4 1/2 to 5 hours not including breaks. Patently false to many of us but sadly not to the poor 20 year old kids representing themselves and trying to save the lives of their two dogs. Also, I would guess not to the VCAT members hearing the case who I don't think are required to have any particular knowledge on the subject.

The Government would be proud of the Council flexing their muscles, abusing their power and spending their ratepayers money, as their legal eagle inferred in the interests of public safety.

Also the ACO Robert Ianson (an ex policeman of 30 years service) stated under oath that he had attended a Victorian Dog Breeders (aka VCA / Dogs Victoria) course on restricted breed dog identification therefore alluding that he was qualified to id. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that this was when Dogs Victoria showed breeds that may be mistaken as restricted breed dogs. There were no restricted breed dogs (known or otherwise) present.

It is a disgrace.

Observed

Mind blowing information presented by the Council legal team and Council representatives. Duration 4 1/2 to 5 hours not including breaks. Patently false to many of us but sadly not to the poor 20 year old kids representing themselves and trying to save the lives of their two dogs. Also, I would guess not to the VCAT members hearing the case who I don't think are required to have any particular knowledge on the subject.

The Government would be proud of the Council flexing their muscles, abusing their power and spending their ratepayers money, as their legal eagle inferred in the interests of public safety.

Also the ACO Robert Ianson (an ex policeman of 30 years service) stated under oath that he had attended a Victorian Dog Breeders (aka VCA / Dogs Victoria) course on restricted breed dog identification therefore alluding that he was qualified to id. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that this was when Dogs Victoria showed breeds that may be mistaken as restricted breed dogs. There were no restricted breed dogs (known or otherwise) present.

It is a disgrace.

I'm really upset to hear this. I wish they were being represented by someone who could really help them :(

Correct. Dogs Vic showed purebred dogs of various breeds that could be mistaken for restricted breeds to the untrained eye. The idea was to show what these recognised, ANKC acknowledged purebreed dogs looked like, to assist with identification when the council officers were out in the field.

How disappointing these pupppies are cross bred who knows what they will look like when they finish maturing, right now they look like pit bull crossing but give them a chance bull mastiffs are slow to mature and who really knows what a bull mastiff, American bulldog and staffordshire cross pup looks like at 7 months.

The pups have done nothing wrong they have not been found at large, the owners tried to have them registered and are being punished for doing all the right things. :(

"These traits included "lock jaw and scissor teeth", muscular build, head profile and size-to-weight ratio. "

so anything with a scissor bite could end up under suspicion... I dont even like the pit bulls..

but those puppies are adorable and at 7 months sure look like a friends mastiff pups

no one can predict what many purebreds are going to end up...as for x breds.. that council worker sure has some big ideas of their ablity

How stupid. Those poor people doing the right thing by registering their dogs only to end up losing their dogs that are innocent and whose only fault is 'looking' like a perceived type of dog.

What gets me is this stupid rule of focusing on dogs that 'may' be a risk down the track, just because of the way they look rather than focusing on dogs that are already nuisances. We have a stumpy tailed blue heeler in our street that is very agressive, has bitten children, attacked dogs and roams the street, yet that dog is still alive. :mad

How stupid. Those poor people doing the right thing by registering their dogs only to end up losing their dogs that are innocent and whose only fault is 'looking' like a perceived type of dog.

What gets me is this stupid rule of focusing on dogs that 'may' be a risk down the track, just because of the way they look rather than focusing on dogs that are already nuisances. We have a stumpy tailed blue heeler in our street that is very agressive, has bitten children, attacked dogs and roams the street, yet that dog is still alive. :mad

No justice - these dogs have done nothing wrong and have responsible owners doing the right thing, and yet like you said pooch a dog in your street attacked other dogs and bitten children - go figure :confused:

Observed

It is a disgrace.

I'm really upset to hear this. I wish they were being represented by someone who could really help them :(

I have given them contact details for Solicitor, and they have said they will be contacting him. :)

Observed

It is a disgrace.

I have given them contact details for Solicitor, and they have said they will be contacting him. :)

Thank you carolee ...x

While I think this case appears to be a joke perhaps it might help discourage people from buying from BYB and unregistered breeders.

Lol you cant buy an APBT from a registered breeder..... unfortunatly they are also illegal to breed....

I am aware of that and nowhere did I say they brought a pair of APBT!

The dogs pictured look like the typical "pig dog" that is usually produced by ferals and bogans who live in that area.