Where To Buy Pp Collar In Sydney?

Hi everyone, I've just got a quick question, I've searched the forum but I couldn't find an answer.

I'm looking for somewhere around the Glebe area of NSW where I could get a PP (prong or pinch for those who prefer) collar.

I have been shown how to use it and if in any doubt at all will call the *fantastic!!* trainer who introduced me to their non-evilness, but because I live in the Nanny state, it's for a "friend", who definitely lives across the border.

So, if anyone could point me in the direction of a retail-type outlet that stocks them, preferably in a medium or large (I haven't measured his neck yet but will be tonight), it would be HUGELY appreciated.

Have you tried http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories/Prong-Collars/Herm-Sprenger-Stainless-Steel-Prong-Collars/ ?

Hi everyone, I've just got a quick question, I've searched the forum but I couldn't find an answer.

I'm looking for somewhere around the Glebe area of NSW where I could get a PP (prong or pinch for those who prefer) collar.

I have been shown how to use it and if in any doubt at all will call the *fantastic!!* trainer who introduced me to their non-evilness, but because I live in the Nanny state, it's for a "friend", who definitely lives across the border.

So, if anyone could point me in the direction of a retail-type outlet that stocks them, preferably in a medium or large (I haven't measured his neck yet but will be tonight), it would be HUGELY appreciated.

Of course it will be nothing but a stainless steel Sprenger, I wouldn't touch anything else, and I like the idea of quick release because i'm lazy like that, but I don't need it and prefer the security of the traditional ones. I did find the k9pro website, but i'm not sure whereabouts the are/if the have a shopfront type retail outlet of if they need to be ordered. as soon as I can find my phone, I will call them and ask.

Thank you Nekhbet, I was a bit hazy on whether I *cough* my friend would need a medium or large, so thank you very much for guessing. :D

I am trying to work out what on earth you are trying to train your dog to do that requires a tool like that????

They are actually a great tool in helping calm and control dogs, they work on a pressure point system that effectively regresses a dog back to puppyhood when used properly. So many dogs actually love them, there is no pressure on the neck like a correction chain and no big corrections either in harder dogs.

Extremely popular over seas as just an everyday training collar like we use correction chains believe it or not. You can order online disintegratus.

Not that I know *L*

Stupid computer, I just lost my whole freakin post! Twice!

Bull Arab: I have an *extremely* fear aggressive Heinz 57, probably ridgeback cross named Thundercleese.

Mostly, I want walk times back. It's gotten to be a stressful and regimented exercise, and I don't enjoy it any more. Given that he will NEVER be offlead in a public place, it's not fair on him or me if we can't enjoy our walks. It's not the only thing I'm using, I work with him every day, and he is getting better, he's improved a huge amount, but it's a long slog, with baby steps forward, and if we're not careful, huge steps backwards. I looking for a tool that makes the process easier.

Thanks guys just learning this sort of stuff not trying to enter a debate just curious!!

'they work on a pressure point system that effectively regresses a dog back to puppyhood when used properly. So many dogs actually love them'

Why would I want to regress my dog to puppyhood? Given puppies learn the basics faster, but my dogs have learned life skills since then (including bite inhibition and other social behaviours) would it not be better to work and train with them in adult dog mindspace when I am going to expect them to act like adult dogs and not a puppy?

Cheers

Bull Arab - you might want to edit your original question then, because it sounded very judgemental.

I have never used one - they are outlawed in Vic - however they have saved many dog's lives. They are not a tool to be used by newbies with no guidance. When used in conjunction with behaviour modification, they can help rehabilitate a dog.

I believe that *~shell~* used one with her dog Zero when he was so fear aggressive he would try to attack anyone or anything that spooked him. He was a large dog so she couldn't walk him without one. By giving her a tool that allowed him to be walked safely, she could then work on his bahaviour. I hope I've explained that correctly.

I don't get where the whole puppy thing comes from to be perfectly honest.

To the OP - your firend could get a cover for it, just in case they don't want people to see that it is a prong.

Why would I want to regress my dog to puppyhood? Given puppies learn the basics faster, but my dogs have learned life skills since then (including bite inhibition and other social behaviours) would it not be better to work and train with them in adult dog mindspace when I am going to expect them to act like adult dogs and not a puppy?

sorry was on my way out when I wrote that. It's something you understand when you see it, the dogs go into that puppy mode of when the mother puts the teeth around their neck to calm them, you just see them calm down and their eyes soften. Very zen :laugh: not total regression, dear god I'd go mad if I regressed two Malinois to that age :rofl: It seems to just touch on something way back when the dogs were pups, those more carefree simple times... call me crazy but I see it. For some dogs it is like a comforting thing to have on, just like some dogs behave better and love the feeling of a muzzle on. It works on the dogs primal level without a person having to give massive corrections on the hard necks of some dogs, and the best thing is the dogs don't pull against the collars because they can self correct on them. The minute they apply forward pressure onto them they get the sensation that tells them 'uh uh we don't do that thanks' faster then a correction chain can. In the US they call them power steering for dogs because they are so great. It's something that works with the dogs brain, not just something you yank on.

not that I would know any of this *L*

Secretkei those necktechs are for the smaller or really soft dogs. Saw one on a rottweiler once didn't work at all.

Edited by Nekhbet

I have a quick release with the normal dog clip ... it fails constantly and is now used for spare links.

We also have quick release with scissor snap - fantastic - has never failed.

Consider using a back up collar ... I use a light weight nylon check (K9Pro also sell them).

My grandma said she was going to make a nice cover for it when I finally get one. She loves Thundercleese, she thinks he's a great guard dog. She can't seem to wrap her head around the fact that he's fear aggressive from a distance, get too close or do anything even remotely scary and he'll wee himself and run away. I've been trying to call k9pro for ages, are they always this hard to get onto?:|

My grandma said she was going to make a nice cover for it when I finally get one. She loves Thundercleese, she thinks he's a great guard dog. She can't seem to wrap her head around the fact that he's fear aggressive from a distance, get too close or do anything even remotely scary and he'll wee himself and run away. I've been trying to call k9pro for ages, are they always this hard to get onto?:|

I think Steve is travelling at the moment? Have you tried emailing them or PM'ing them here?

I'm sure your gradma will need a cover for your friend when she finally gets one.