Pets Getting The Run Of The House

samoyedman

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-nsw/doggy-beds-are-fit-for-a-king-pets-getting-the-run-of-the-house/story-e6freuzi-1226273246195

WHEN Rebecca Fitzgerald bought a king-size bed to share with her two german shepherds, her friends thought she was crazy.

But it turns out she's among a growing number of dog and cat owners giving pets free rein of their homes, with research revealing four in five pets now sleep inside - including a third in their owner's bed.

Ms Fitzgerald, who runs a dog grooming salon in Newington, in Sydney's west, said her beloved pooches were a key part of her family and deserved to be treated as such.

"Most of my friends laughed when we got a king-size bed because they think it's strange because of the size of the dogs, they're so big," she said.

Does your dog or cat sleep in your bed? Tell us below

"But our dogs are an important part of our family so we believe that they should be an integral part of our lives, and we don't want them outside and alone all the time."

Petcare Information and Advisory Service spokeswoman Susie Willis, whose group released the figures, said advances in pet hygiene products and grooming services had made it acceptable for pet owners to keep their furry four-legged friends indoors.

"About 15 years ago people worried about health issues, hygiene and things like fleas but with parasite control and a proactive approach to hygiene there is no reason why pets can't stay indoors," she said.

However, Ms Fitzgerald said there were limits.

"We don't let them sleep on our pillows, we don't let them sleep under the sheets, there still needs to be rules and regulations to it," she said.

"If you don't keep them clean and you don't brush them, absolutely it's going to be a hygiene issue."

Ms Willis said the best way to build a bond with pets was to allow them to spend time indoors.

"I don't think it's pandering to the pet if you let them stay indoors, I think its a positive," she said.

"Pets like dogs and cats are social creatures and the best way to bond with them is to let them inside. It's better for dogs and cats to spend time with people rather than them being lonely in a big backyard."

However, letting your pets rule the roost can have consequences. The NRMA says there has been an increase in claims by homeowners because of damage caused by pets spending more time indoors.

Edited by samoyedman

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.dailytele...i-1226273246195

WHEN Rebecca Fitzgerald bought a king-size bed to share with her two german shepherds, her friends thought she was crazy.

. . . .

"I don't think it's pandering to the pet if you let them stay indoors, I think its a positive," she said.

"Pets like dogs and cats are social creatures and the best way to bond with them is to let them inside. It's better for dogs and cats to spend time with people rather than them being lonely in a big backyard."

However, letting your pets rule the roost can have consequences. The NRMA says there has been an increase in claims by homeowners because of damage caused by pets spending more time indoors.

Opinions on this are cheap. Slow news day?

Interesting that the story didn't consider the reduction in asthma associated with close contact with pets.

I'd like to see comparison of the damage caused by bringing pets indoor vs that caused by keeping them outdoors . . . especially if it included costs borne by the neighbours and community.

I'm kind of surprised that this is considered all that odd.... That said a gossipy Dad came to my house to collect his daughter from a playdate and told me in shocked tones about a messy mum who (shock horror) let her two large hairy dogs inside the house. Moments later, Daisy saunters down the hallway :p Apparently I'm OK because my house doesn't smell like dog and Daisy has short hair.

Personally I think dogs are much cleaner than your average toddler.

People act like this is new.. frankly with the exception of certain working dogs, its been the custom for millenia to share living and sleeping space with dogs.

Australia, IMO is probably one of the least dog friendly cultures amongst those who keep pet dogs.

People act like this is new.. frankly with the exception of certain working dogs, its been the custom for millenia to share living and sleeping space with dogs.

Australia, IMO is probably one of the least dog friendly cultures amongst those who keep pet dogs.

Totally agree with this.

ETA: And with what Weasels said, there's no way we could leave our two out at night, especially Mo,we wouldn't get any sleep ourselves, not to mention the poor neighbours. But inside he's a gem.

Edited by Aussie3

People I talk to are always so suprised when I mention that Mikey has free reign of the house and where he sleeps.

They think it's gross, and disgusting, even though he's very clean and it's all mainly shedding.

D:

He's the first indoor dog I've had, and it's better for me personally, I bond with him a lot more this way.

It's awesome. :3

People I talk to are always so suprised when I mention that Mikey has free reign of the house and where he sleeps.

They think it's gross, and disgusting, even though he's very clean and it's all mainly shedding.

D:

He's the first indoor dog I've had, and it's better for me personally, I bond with him a lot more this way.

It's awesome. :3

You must talk to different sorts of people than I do. Most of my friends would be surprised by dogs not having free reign.

My dogs do get dirty and, yes, they mean more washing, cleaning, vacuuming, and a lower standard of cleanliness.

So what? Tray a cost/benefit analysis.

Living around dogs all my life has given me a much stronger immune response, and imparts an element of grounded wisdom in a world that offers all sorts of insanity.

Sure is & it still confounds me.

Every family I knew growing sent the kids to bed & the dog with them. They slept on our beds, played with us, guarded us & woke the family if anything was amiss & guess what.

We all survived & didn't catch anything from them.

We did catch plenty of things from people though.

I always had my dogs with me inside. but gee after visiting a lady with only two toy sized dogs i left reeling. not only from the incredible stench but the worst bout of asthma ive ever had.

the house was large with a long hallway. the last 8 feet of the hallway was black with excrament, the tiolet when i asked to use it was also to the extent the only place i could put my feet was sideways to the tiolet.

the hallway was only free of dog hair down the centre. I thought the lady had been ill and needed help so offered to clean up the hair. found a broom and discovered it was 6 to 9 inches deep along the edges of the hall and vestibule. not quite os thick in the kitchen. got it all together and half filled the wheelie bin. about that stage i couldnt breathe anymore and realised the lady was far from happy that i had moved any of it.

and when i realised the enormity of the task re the excreament was glad to beat a retreat.

Perhaps i should have explained. we had paid to attend a seminar and three of us were to stay with the organiser, that is the scene we arrived too and the seminar was to be held in this house with some 20 others due to arrive the next day. we were expected to eat and sleep in this house for the next week.

needles to say the seminar was cancelled by the speaker (one of the three of us) we did eat two meals there and all three of us becam ill. One to the point of needing to attend hospital and was still at risk of death weeks later.

it was an interesting experience we could have gladly gone without.

Edited by asal

My dogs are allowed inside but decided they prefer outside.

Inside there is rules about running around silly, drinking water nicely (no bathing in it) and throwing their balls around ... outside doesn't have any such rules (other then barking) ... so guess why they prefer outside ... ;)

Tibetan Spaniels were bred for particular jobs in the Buddhist monasteries and homes of the nobles, in Tibet.

One job was to be bed warmers.

That was for practical reasons, to keep people warm in a cold climate.

Here's a tibbie in Tibet saying, 'Is it time for bed yet?'

post-3304-0-02952200-1329548247_thumb.jpg

I saw an online ad for lovely bedspreads made by Tibetans in exile in northern India. On each bed, sat a lovely Tibetan Spaniel.

So, to Tibetan people, think 'bed', think 'tibbie'.

BTW Our Tibbies sleep on cushions beside the bed. We don't want them falling off a bed while asleep, with their short legs & long backs.

Edited by mita

I've shared my bed with a dog for as long as I can remember... :shrug: We got our first dog when I was eight and she slept on my pillow most nights. My current dogs all sleep on the bed whenever they want, and have access to the house/yard (inc. upstairs) 24 hours a day. No smell or dirtiness here!

I have a no dogs on the beds rule now, but only cos of the baby. That being said they never slept here, I toss and turn too much and it ticks them off. Kodi sleeps under the bed, directly beneath me. Doof sleeps beside me until the first time I fall over him, then goes out to his bed.

Growing up I had a double bed, and dad chucked a single mattress on top of the double one. The dogs could sleep on the bed only if they stayed off the single mattress and kept to the double bed mattress. It was a big concession on my parents part. Although saying that mums malt x is a total bed hog!

I cannot imagine being able to have a restful full nights sleep with two GSD on the bed even if it is king size. My dogs share my home, but they do not run my home they also do not share my bed.

It doesn't make them deprived or any less loved. I can also understand that some people wish their dogs to sleep outside, or that the dogs themselves choose to like my Lab often does.