Pets Getting The Run Of The House

samoyedman

I grew up with two dogs as family pets but a strictly 'no dogs inside the house' policy. My mother was very house proud - not obsessively so, but she certainly would not have tolerated dog hair on the carpet or furniture!

Now that I have my own home, I am slightly more relaxed. Having a companion breed, my dogs are allowed in the house but are generally restricted to the main living area (which is tiled). They do sleep indoors but are usually crated. I bath them at least weekly and vacuum often. Not trying to be rude, but it makes me cringe when I see people upload pics to DOL and FB of their dogs inside the house, and in the background you can see dirty floors and grubby walls, hair all over the place etc.

ETA: I also have two Sibes who are strictly outdoor dogs, and they are quite happy with that arrangement.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the fact that my dogs do not smell, I have no wish for GSD or Lab hair all over my bed and a restful comfortable nights sleep is important to us.

Doesn't make them neglected or deprived, actually they make no attempt to get on the beds.

it makes me cringe when I see people upload pics to DOL and FB of their dogs inside the house, and in the background you can see dirty floors and grubby walls, hair all over the place etc..

Why? Is the hair going to rise up and stage a coup? If you don't have allergies I don't see how some hair on the floor is going to hurt :confused: I only vacuum once a week and there is no mistaking ours is a dog-owning house by Friday, but we are all still healthy and happy.

I think who you have in your bed is your own business, be they human or animal. I started letting my girl sleep on the bottom half of the bed, on top of the bedding, when I went back to working in an office. I think it helped offset the sudden change of not having me working from home all day by spending the night closer to her humans. My boy is happy on his bed on the floor of my room or on the couches in the lounge, which works out well for both of us since he is much more of a shedder :/

my three shepherds tend to sleep on my bed gosh Oliver has his own pillow but they get off and sleep on their mats during the night would hate to be a housebreaker entering my home

oh and my house is very clean by the way

My own private theory about dog domestication is that the bedwarmer effect played an important role in the original domestication (or should we call it symbiosis). The cavemen didn't exactly have central heating. Having something that was 2 degrees C warmer than you willing to curl up at your feet would have been a big plus . . . especially during glaciations where temperature got colder and colder . . . and a dry, semi-warm, protected cave with some food handouts would have been a good deal for the proto-dogs.

So many people die of cancer & heart disease. So many get sick every year with colds & flus & viruses but I have never heard of anyone dying or being off work sick because their dog lived inside & slept on their bed.

If a house is filthy, dogs or not, its because the person doesn't clean it up & it would be like that without the dog there.

People tend to over react about dog germs. People germs are a bigger problem.

There are only a handful of diseases you can catch from a dog. Listing those you can catch from a person could be a whole book.

If a house is filthy, dogs or not, its because the person doesn't clean it up & it would be like that without the dog there.

I think so too. I think that if your pets are indoors, if you are a tidy person you just tend to clean more often to accomodate the extra hair etc.

One of the jobs the first Samoyeds had was to sleep with their owners in the tents to keep them warm in Siberian winters. This breed is hundreds of years old, so dogs inside on the bed isn't exactly a new concept :laugh:

I for one am happy to have the dogs sleep with me provided they get off if I ask them.

One of the jobs the first Samoyeds had was to sleep with their owners in the tents to keep them warm in Siberian winters. This breed is hundreds of years old, so dogs inside on the bed isn't exactly a new concept :laugh:

I for one am happy to have the dogs sleep with me provided they get off if I ask them.

argh the white fluff everywhere. :laugh:

I bought a $1500 queen-sized bed and then had the legs cut down so Grumpy could get up on it more easily. He also has a step up so he only has to jump a couple of inches.

Funnily enough, speaking of catching doggy diseases, oft have I woken up to find a Grumpy bum close to my face. Eeew, but them's the charms of living with Grumpy. Of course, then there was the time I woke to find his head facing mine on my pillow. Needless to say, I inched backwards a little.

Edited by Sheridan

argh the white fluff everywhere. :laugh:

Can't say it's ever bothered me Sam Man.

Just one of the things you deal with to have such a fantastic breed ;)

Our dogs are inside dogs, however OH said that he doesn't want our house to look like it has dogs. So he sweeps every night and tries to make sure that no dirt gets on the walls, etc. The dogs are allowed on the bed, but must get off when told - every now and again, I'll wake up with a Husky asleep on my feet, or a Lappie curled up in a teensy ball at the end of the bed, but normally they sleep under the bed.