What Does Your Dally Diet Consist Of?

I feed a mixture of kibble and raw - approx 50/50. Mishka doesn't really care what she is fed so long as it is food and there is plenty of it.

Gus is on proplan Puppy Large, and he gets 2 cups of that a day... I used to feed him chicken wings, but I got a little worried when I heard there is a science involved when feeding raw.. I used to feed him 3 wings for dinner and the kibble in the morning... what raw foods do you feed?

Appollo has advance chicken and rice kibble, with 3 necks at dinnertime, and a wing for brekky ( plus kids toast crusts :laugh: ).

He had a stone blockage a few years ago, so i am very careful not to feed too much raw, or any red meat.

Appollo has advance chicken and rice kibble, with 3 necks at dinnertime, and a wing for brekky ( plus kids toast crusts :laugh: ).

He had a stone blockage a few years ago, so i am very careful not to feed too much raw, or any red meat.

Well this is what im a little cautious of, Gus's grandfather had a stone at 12 years of age, and thats the only history of stones, he drinks HEAPS of water and is very active, but he needs something a little extra for his teeth and other goodness raw food provides that kibble doesnt.... how about roo tail ? once a week a roo tail for dinner? or is that to high in purines?

No Dally any more now my Cookie is gone :( but for all her 13 years she was fed a raw diet.

The important thing with Dallies is purines rather than protein in general.

While I never really needed to do it with my girl (she was still fed lamb/beef/roo etc as part of her diet), this means feeding more chicken and turkey than red meats.

I just made sure I fed a little bit more of these for her rather than red meats. I didn't really add much in the way of veggies, though some do recommend this.

Of course a dog who is a proven stone former you may have to restrict even more, but I would not severely restrict unless this was the case (as it may create other problems for the dog)

Raw can be good as unlike dry foods it already contains a lot of water and the proteins are in a higher quality form that is more easily digested, so less stress on kidneys and liver etc.

Some links that may be of interest:

http://hattrickdalmatians.com/PreventingUrateStoneFormation.html

http://rawdals.blogspot.com.au/

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawdiet4dals/

No Dally any more now my Cookie is gone :( but for all her 13 years she was fed a raw diet.

While I never really needed to do it with my girl (she was still fed lamb/beef/roo etc as part of her diet), this means feeding more chicken and turkey than red meats.

I just made sure I fed a little bit more of these for her rather than red meats. I didn't really add much in the way of veggies, though some do recommend this.

Of course a dog who is a proven stone former you may have to restrict even more, but I would not severely restrict unless this was the case (as it may create other problems for the dog)

Raw can be good as unlike dry foods it already contains a lot of water and the proteins are in a higher quality form that is more easily digested, so less stress on kidneys and liver etc.

Very interesting :) thanks espinay2

• 3 weeks later...

What do you make of the diet in the first website??

3 cups Artemis dry and 1 cup Proplan sensitive OR a large meaty chicken frame (frozen). Plus chicken pieces if he's on the thin side. One or two raw eggs a week when the chooks are laying. One or two Eukanuba large biscuits at bedtime.

Training treats daily include Natures Gift chicken strips and treats, raw or cooked chicken, boiled egg, cheese, 4 Legs roll and balls.

Ziggy does a lot of exercise and there is not an ounce of fat on him.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

3 cups Artemis dry and 1 cup Proplan sensitive OR a large meaty chicken frame (frozen). Plus chicken pieces if he's on the thin side. One or two raw eggs a week when the chooks are laying. One or two Eukanuba large biscuits at bedtime.

Training treats daily include Natures Gift chicken strips and treats, raw or cooked chicken, boiled egg, cheese, 4 Legs roll and balls.

Ziggy does a lot of exercise and there is not an ounce of fat on him.

I just came back from a weekend away... and I never noticed how chubby Gus is getting.... I suspect someone else in the family is feeding him without me knowing about it because he gets 2 Cups of pro plan in the mornings and other 3 wings or a frame at night.... does that sound like a lot of food?....

As I posted, my dog eats twice as much - 4 cups of food a night. It depends on how much exercise your dog is getting, whether they are entire etc

He is entire and is very active, 2 x 30 minute play session a day and 2 x 30 minute walks.... he is 6.5 months also a little on the small side... his not fat... I can just see a little keg belly developing as he has always been quite thin and did not put on weight easy up until now.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

Opps sorry just read you wanted Dally specific. Ignore post if you want :o

Sonny, 3 year old BC, mid moring after 2 hours exercise, half chic frame. 1 cup BH kibble & 125g roo mince & vitamins at 4 pm for dinner.

Stella is 1 year old & has the same only her chic frame is usually smaller & she only has 3/4 cup BH kibble & 100g of roo mince each day.

They are both desexed & both of ideal weight according to my vet. You can't see their ribs but you can feel them. :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Nope. No need if you are feeding a decent dry food. What supplements do you want to feed?

Ow none at all if they are not necessary .... but I was wondering if there would be any benefit of introducing flaxseed oil to his diet....or something to help his stomach because his flatulence is somewhat revolting and frequent he is on Proplan large not sure if that is an ideal kibble for a dally but it is what the breeder was feeding him.... I'm hoping maybe changing to a BARF like diet may help this.

I would double check what others are feeding him first. Have you discussed this with your breeder? They should know the quirks of their dogs better than anyone. There is plenty of info on the internet on dog food and Dally diets as well.

Cheers - Yea when i bought Gus i got a feeding guide... but his stomach is producing some bad bad smells so obviously the kibble is not agreeing with him too much.

Thanks for the advise... I will digg around a bit I know a few dals from the same lines so I will ask them what they feed their dogs.

I would double check what others are feeding him first. Have you discussed this with your breeder? They should know the quirks of their dogs better than anyone. There is plenty of info on the internet on dog food and Dally diets as well.

Cheers - Yea when i bought Gus i got a feeding guide... but his stomach is producing some bad bad smells so obviously the kibble is not agreeing with him too much.

Thanks for the advise... I will digg around a bit I know a few dals from the same lines so I will ask them what they feed their dogs.

I definately second the finding out of what others are feeding. As you know TCM, my living situation is similar to your own, and one night OH's mum offered beef mince when my BARF patties ran out...i was like "no thanks" but she gave me a funny look, then I explained that dallies shouldn't have beef coz of the stone forming issue. The look I got was like I was a dog food nazi (which I am about Cleo, but still lol). I know that at one stage she was also being given extra kibble of the other dog's food... families....they mean well but it can have bad consequences if they dont know what they're doing!

I feed half a cup of kibble in morning, one cup in evening plus one BARF patty (certain varieties only).

I'm a bit lazy r.e raw. That's why I like the BARF, it's so easy for me! Getting home at 6 or 7 leaves me little enough time to shower and eat dinner, let alone make a full on raw diet for the dog, I love the convenience =]

I add kelp powder, fish oil, livermole & when I am almost out of these products, id like to give Missing Link a try. I have always used vitamins e.t.c Yes they have really good quality food but I think it doesn't hurt to keep them at their best. My diets good, & I take vitamins everyday. IMHO.