Best Tick Prevention

Hi Everyone, we have a 1 year old Pug Stevie who we have used advocate on since the day we got her

this has suited us perfectly as we are not in a tick prone area, however we will soon be moving to

the coast and was wondering what our best option would be in regards to tick prevention as advocate

basically does everything except ticks? i'd ideally like to continue using advocate as Stevie has had

a problem with mange in the past and it seems to have helped with this. thank you in advance for your

suggestions

Thanks for that, if I switch to advantix what is the best form of all wormer? I'm so lost now that

advocate doesn't cater to ticks

Stevies Mumma No need to Switch you just continue to use advocate and then apply Advantix (at the same time) every 2 weeks for Paralysis tick protection. You are then covered for everything. The 2 products are designed to be used together. NOTE daily searching for ticks is still recommended in high tick prone areas.

Thanks for that, if I switch to advantix what is the best form of all wormer? I'm so lost now that

advocate doesn't cater to ticks

Stevies Mumma No need to Switch you just continue to use advocate and then apply Advantix (at the same time) every 2 weeks for Paralysis tick protection. You are then covered for everything. The 2 products are designed to be used together. NOTE daily searching for ticks is still recommended in high tick prone areas.

Thanks for letting me know that I didnt realise i could use both at once, this is great news, I also intend

to check her daily for ticks :D

You may want to do some heavy thinking about why you are putting so many chemicals in to and on to a dog which already has shown to have immune issues.

Is monthly worming really necessary? Does she actually have fleas so is constant flea control necessary? Ticks, absolutely understand the concern there!

Worm AND flea, unless you have an actual issue with either.

Ticks I have no argument with preventing and use permoxin too :D

By mange I assume you are talking demodex, which is immune related more than anything else, if it sarcoptic then of course it needs to be treated, but more by removing the source (foxes are a biggy apparently) than by constantly treating the symptoms.

Please remember to give her heartworm prevention though.

Advantix also treats fleas. You have to use it fortnightly for tick prevention.

I don;t do regular worming with my dog; however i do give her monthly heartguard treatments which also treats some intestinal worms.

She is flea allergic, so it is very important to prevent any fleas from biting her. I use advantix for flea and tick prevntion

Worm AND flea, unless you have an actual issue with either.

Ticks I have no argument with preventing and use permoxin too :D

Aye but there's the rub. To treat for ticks you're still treating every 2 weeks for fleas if using Advantix or Frontline.

Permoxin I've never heard of but am interested in learning more. How is it administered and is it only a tick preventative?

You may want to do some heavy thinking about why you are putting so many chemicals in to and on to a dog which already has shown to have immune issues.

Is monthly worming really necessary? Does she actually have fleas so is constant flea control necessary? Ticks, absolutely understand the concern there!

Actually your quote is a bit misleading.

Firstly Advantix, advocate and advantage are not "Chemicals" as such. They were derived from the human edible crop divisions that use the same active ingredient of the Advantage family range - Imidicloprid. This product is used on food crops that you and I EAT.

It is safe and has an extremely wide safety margin. It is absorbed into the Lipid layer of skin (on animals) and is absorbed into the whole edible areas on crops. it is not like your Active ingredients of other products ie Frontline sentinel, interceptor ect that use chemically derived actives.

Re worming: Advocate is used monthly and has the active Imidicloprid and an additional additive of moxidectin which separates upon application and goes to the differing organs that are affected by the myriad or worms that animals are afflicted by. The major difference and UNIQUE properties of advocate as opposed to other preps are:

Advocate kills and evacuates worms, hatchlings and larvae that have accumulated and then PROTECTS against getting ANY new worms as opposed to ALL other worming preps that just evacuate accumulated worms. ie NO PROTECTION.

This unique property of Advocate is called "steady state" whereby the plasma holds a level of protection that DOES NOT ALLOW WORMS to enter, migrate or procreate at any time. the worms are killed immediately upon coming to the treated animal AT ALL TIMES.

Compliance of use (CONTINUITY) is extremely important for complete protection against getting any new worms or new fleas or new ticks. Use monthly (or fortnighly) to maintain Steady state.

Advantix is the ONLY registered product available that not only KILLS but REPELS all biting insects ie ticks fleas flies mosquitos horse flies ect ect etc. Sarcoptic mange mites and demodex are not immuno deficient nor auto immune related issues. The are parasites and advocate treats and PROTECTS the animal from reinfestations.

Re Permoxin. This is a PERMETHRIN and as such is TOXIC to cats. It must never be applied to cats and should NEVER be sprayed on dogs that live with cats as the direct contact may lead to serious issues for the cat including death. CATS cannot metabolize Permethrins. With regard to ADVANTIX it has Imidicloprid and the additive of Permethrin. It should NEVER be applied to cats - HOWEVER at the time of APPLICATION ONLY you need to separate the dog and cat for approx 6 hours until the actives have spread throughout the lipid layer of the dogs skin. From this time forward there is ABSOLUTELY no issue of a cat and dog together. The can lick cuddle sleep ect till their little heart is content.

The Advantage range of products is unique in that Imidicloprid kills parasites on contact within 1 - 3 minutes 100% efficacy for the full 1 month. All other products including frontline, comfortis, sentinel ect ect ect require the flea, tick mossie ect to BITE TO GET A DOSE of their actives from the bloodstream of the dog/cat because their active ingredients cross through and remain in the bloodstreams. Also Parasites cannot become "immune" to Imidicloprid like they do to the other products ie fipronil (frontline) ect.

Permoxin has a low efficacy hence the requirement to apply frequently.

Imidicloprid kills on contact so where ever your pet lays or goes it is killing parasites environmentally too. Oh and one more thing, You may still see fleas or ticks on your pet (that is wearing advantage family products) at any time, HOWEVER, those fleas will be in the process of dying and will appear slow and partly paralysed. The will be dead within 1 - 5 minutes of coming into contact with a protected pet. The are immediatly paralysed so cannot bite your pet but will die off. The new fleas in the environment will jump on your pet but will be killed on contact with either a hair shaft or skin that is wearing the product.

The fleas cycle is only 5 % of the environment are live adult fleas, 50% are larvae the rest eggs and hatchlings. Advantage family kills live, and larval.

Fleas need a blood feed to be able to lay eggs. eggs do not cause animals greif, LARVAE hatches to become Adult fleas HENCE killing adult fleas and larvae will acheive a flea free environment.

It is waterfast and does not leave greasy marks. Apply to a dry dog and do not bath for at least 2-3 days after application. Safe on pregnant and lactating bitches and Advantage can be used from newborn age also suited for rabbits and ferrets Advantix from 7 weeks and Advocate from 7 weeks of age too. Advocate for Ferrets.

Re advocate not doing tapeworm - If you dont have fleas you dont get tapeworm. hence you dont need to tapeworm your dogs when using advocate.

Hope this helps

Edited by nowstarin