The Lurcher, & Rabbiting With Ferrets

Kirislin

Thanks for posting that Kirislin....just love the Lurchers!

I find that not a lot of people know what they are though (unless you're English ;) )so when I list them in rescue thread I usually call them Wolfie x (which half the time they're not ) or just big scruffers,lol

I have ferrets that can drag them out for you ;) you're welcome to come one day

Aye, tis a noble sport. I wish it was more commonplace, we have so many rabbits and so many wasted dogs. OH is desperate for a rabbiting dog, he wants to try a pharoah but needs to get it from a pup so it learns to be around ferrets and how to listen to the ground properly. His last rabbiter was a ridgeback x I think.

I can't believe Jack Hargreaves is still around :laugh: He looked an old man when I used to watch 'How' on kids' TV 45 years ago :confused: Thanks for that Kirislin, you've unwittingly taken me back to my childhood - JH, lurchers & all! :thumbsup:

I think he's long since departed, they're pretty old films, but a bit of history, and something I'm glad has been recorded presented on youtube for the world to see.

Interesting but.....

From this site http://www.celticlurchers.com/aboutlurchers.htm

The name "Lurcher" comes from the ancient Romany words for "lur" meaning thief and "cur" meaning a mixed dog breed.

My understanding is that Lurchers are mixed breed dogs, usually cross between sight hounds and terriers though not always.

This type of dog often accompanied Gypsies about the country and were invaluable in providing meat for the pot, usually through acts of "poaching" henceforth the association with the Romany word for thief "lur".

Edit: I actually found this to be a very poor presentation and not one I would use to provide instruction or information relating to the history of the Lurcher.

Regards,

Edited by Bob

Interesting but.....

From this site http://www.celticlurchers.com/aboutlurchers.htm

The name "Lurcher" comes from the ancient Romany words for "lur" meaning thief and "cur" meaning a mixed dog breed.

My understanding is that Lurchers are mixed breed dogs, usually cross between sight hounds and terriers though not always.

This type of dog often accompanied Gypsies about the country and were invaluable in providing meat for the pot, usually through acts of "poaching" henceforth the association with the Romany word for thief "lur".

Edit: I actually found this to be a very poor presentation and not one I would use to provide instruction or information relating to the history of the Lurcher.

Regards,

He did say that is what they've become. I have the book The Complete Lurcher by D. Brian Plummer which says the same as Jack Hargreaves, that originally Lurchers were a cross between the Smithfield collie and the greyhound. Now the term has been broadened to mean a sighthound/working dog or terrier cross.

Thanks for posting, very nice to see. We do a lot of ferreting in the winter months with pursenets and longnets and it really is a wonderful way to fill the fridge.

Lurchers are great dogs. :)

Just picked up on this....we do Earthdog at Erskine Park through the winter months, and are always needing rabbit carcasses to use as our quarry (not allowed to use live ones). It's always hard to find them - would you sell them too, Polecatty? :)

To keep this on topic - I've always loved Lurchers and the 'romance' behind them :)

I have ferrets that can drag them out for you ;) you're welcome to come one day

Aye, tis a noble sport. I wish it was more commonplace, we have so many rabbits and so many wasted dogs. OH is desperate for a rabbiting dog, he wants to try a pharoah but needs to get it from a pup so it learns to be around ferrets and how to listen to the ground properly. His last rabbiter was a ridgeback x I think.

I'd love to but you're a long way from me (Yarra Valley), do you ever go a bit further East to somewhere that might be a bit closer to me?

Thank you for posting :thanks:

I grew up in the Northeast of England, living on the edge of town with corn fields at our back fence. It was a wonderful place to grow up, the collie rough who lived next door was an excellent hunter, I can still see him as he would be on the hunt through the corn field every now and again he would leap in the air to see where the hare had gone :)

Our first dog was a lurcher type of dog a Border Collie X.

Great memories you have stirred up here :wave:

Winston is just beautiful, with that colour he would surely be able to sneak up on those pesky rabbits and hares.

I really miss those corn fields.

During the harvest one time the farmer called out to us that a black & white cat had been run over by the combine harvester .... mad frantic search through the house for our cat who we found sound asleep on a bed. :)