Puppy Buyer Etiquette

Podengo

Depending on the breed many people are still overseas after doing the world dog show & there have been many circuit shows/national shows on so some breeders can be away for a week here & there or judging .

Phone again & email again.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... Well this is an interesting thread, I wish I had come across this last week, when I contacted multiple breeders to enquire about the process of buying a puppy from them. I have only ever owned dogs from the pound or a pet shop, and didn't realise there was an etiquette to be followed when dealing with a breeder. It does explain why I haven't heard back from a single one, despite also following up with a phone call several days after sending an email.

A few days or a week isn't unreasonable - people are busy and often aren't chained to email or the phone.

Don't give up. If you act this desperate it will turn people off selling you a puppy.

Hmmm... Well this is an interesting thread, I wish I had come across this last week, when I contacted multiple breeders to enquire about the process of buying a puppy from them. I have only ever owned dogs from the pound or a pet shop, and didn't realise there was an etiquette to be followed when dealing with a breeder. It does explain why I haven't heard back from a single one, despite also following up with a phone call several days after sending an email. After doing research, I discovered that the breed I want is not overly common, so thought by contacting the breeders from the official 'clubs' list (5 here in SE Qld) - and making contact with them, (via a brief email or online form) I would then have a better idea of how long the process would be, and what that process ACTUALLY is.

I'm actually extremely dissapointed that despite all the time I've spent reading, talking to owners of the breed & waiting patiently for the best time for my family to welcome a new member, it seems that it may not be a reality after all. I really don't think it should be too much to expect a breeder get back to me with the basic information. I don't expect a puppy in my lap within the week, but do think I should be able to know are they currently breeding?, is there a current litter?, how long is the waiting list generally? What is the process for approval? What is the history of the pups heritage, health history etc...

Anyways, a lesson learnt I guess. I really do feel sad about it all, and if this usual practice, then I'm probably not the only one who will go back to a pet shop or shelter for a pup, which is ironic, because my not wanting to support byb's or puppy farms is what got me looking at purebred dogs to begin with :(

What breed are you after???? Often to get the pup you want, you will have to go on a waiting list as responsible breeders are not breeding all the time. Have you contacted the breeders advertising on DOL? I would be interested to know what breed you are looking for. A good idea when approaching breeders Is not to ask "how much" in your first conversation...it is a real "turn off". Get to know all you can about the pups first before you approach this question....JMO. :)

Funnily enough "how much" does not turn me off if it's in the first email. It's a reasonable question and I prefer email to phone calls as a night shift worker. But you might have to wait a few days for a reply. Don't discount looking interstate.

Buyers need to also remember that dog breeding is a hobby, and people may be busy with other things etc. I sometimes forget to check emails for a week or more, and travel away for work most weeks, have a busy family etc.

So while it may seem disappointing to not get an instant response, persistence or patience may need to be involved too.

Like Showdog said, I too know that many folks are in Europe, and in my breed,in the US - for big shows. So those at home are extra busy, and little things like email and massages can easily be put to one side.

I would sooner people ask how much & decide they may not be able to afford the breed than spend countless phone calls or emails back & forth only to realize it is out of there price range.

When we go buy fridge,cars etc etc we generally look at price first & its either in our price range or it isn't, i don't see why people make such a big deal about asking the price first .

What i will say though there is away of asking the price than the one liner .

I would sooner people ask how much & decide they may not be able to afford the breed than spend countless phone calls or emails back & forth only to realize it is out of there price range.

When we go buy fridge,cars etc etc we generally look at price first & its either in our price range or it isn't, i don't see why people make such a big deal about asking the price first .

I think that is probably more what I meant :) I am not a breeder, but I am pretty sure I would be turned off someone if the first question I was asked is "how much"...but that's just me. People who ask "how much" in the first instant are usually after a bargain compared to good quality & I wouldn't sell to someone who's priority was money over quality. If someone has done their homework in choosing which breed is right for them & which breeders, then they should have a bit of an idea of the price range anyway.

I think that is probably more what I meant :) I am not a breeder, but I am pretty sure I would be turned off someone if the first question I was asked is "how much"...but that's just me. People who ask "how much" in the first instant are usually after a bargain compared to good quality & I wouldn't sell to someone who's priority was money over quality. If someone has done their homework in choosing which breed is right for them & which breeders, then they should have a bit of an idea of the price range anyway.

not in my breed they wouldn't, only pricing guidelines likely to be found are for race bred greyhounds. And I don't think wanting to know the price up front means they are looking for a bargain either.

Not true at all.

In my breed varying from state to state there can be near $2000 difference & the more expensive isn't the best at all.

There is the average price but in general a person who has done there homework will be very aware of the massive price difference so i don't see it as a person wanting a bargain , infact it could very well be the opposite & that its a breeder who is very greedy in there prices .

A person doing there homework can get very lost out there in the price area

In our breed the Pet shops also list there pups as the same price as reg breeders without all the health testing

I can guarantee 90% of people who phone about our breed ask price & then go on with more questions on there list & these people aren't after a bargain but asking all the right questions .

I can guarantee 90% of people who phone about our breed ask price & then go on with more questions on there list & these people aren't after a bargain but asking all the right questions .

Sometimes a price can give an indication of the type of breeder as well. When I was looking for my pup, I got several "x amount with papers, x amount without papers" answers from breeders that seemed really decent, so that automatically chopped them off my list.

Some might see asking for a price as tacky or cheap or whatever, but honestly, 99% of the time it's a deal breaker in decision making.

That being said, my pup is 8 weeks old, coming home after he's been desexed at 13 weeks, and I've not yet asked how much he is :rofl: So maybe there is a compromise between not asking up front, but asking at some stage before you pick them up :p

Buyers need to also remember that dog breeding is a hobby, and people may be busy with other things etc. I sometimes forget to check emails for a week or more, and travel away for work most weeks, have a busy family etc.

So while it may seem disappointing to not get an instant response, persistence or patience may need to be involved too.

Like Showdog said, I too know that many folks are in Europe, and in my breed,in the US - for big shows. So those at home are extra busy, and little things like email and massages can easily be put to one side.

You're not wrong there.

I've had times that I've missed emails for one reason or another and have noticed it later, or it goes to the junk email box (this seems to happen often with free email accounts) which I almost never check or I've had internet issues ( I live in the country and our connection isn't great).

JaCaMa - A week is nothing and people are busy.

Take my situation for example.

I currently have a 3 week old litter on the ground, I work from home, I do volenteer work for our breed club, I've been sick for over a week and I have three other adult dogs who need attention, not to mention daily household chores.

I don't have much time to be sitting down and reply to emails so they do get put off for a time, nor do I really want to be returning a phone call when I have a sore throat. Thankfully my puppy people are super understanding and have been great about late puppy photos and such.

Keep trying to contact people and don't limit yourself to one state, you could end up waiting a very long time for a puppy if you do.

Also make sure you read breeders websites very closely. I can't stand it when I get an email (or worse a phone call when I have clearly stated I would rather people email me) from someone who says they have been looking for a puppy, looked at my website and then go on to ask a bunch of questions that could have been answered by my website.

without going right back through thread below are 2 links which show the difference between the PennHip/OFA (USA) and the Australian method. both need extensive radiological examination and therefore anesthetic. Interestingly enough when this is done a certificate is usually issued to the owner/breeder. So any breeder who has had this process done should have such a certificate to show potential clients. My philosophy is no papers no purchase and this also goes for other breeds including PRA (eye disease) Gene profile for certain diseases that are very common such as hemophillia (bleeding disorder) Renal Dysplasia and Weimaraner Immunodefiecency, this is an interesting contact point for breeders and buyers

http://ic.upei.ca/cidd/

http://www.online-vets.com/hipscore_1.html

http://trends.aahanet.org/vetnewsarticle.aspx?key=92adb5db-6388-4c9b-a626-bb5d7ac3cad4

Personally, I can't see any reason why a prospective puppy buyer should feel awkward in asking the price of a puppy he/she is interested in buying. I realise there is an 'average' price for certain breeds, but in my own case, I paid twice the going price for a puppy, (and I'm not complaining,) but I wanted that breeding, and it was my choice to either pay, or look elsewhere. As was mentioned in an earlier thread, you wouldn't walk into a showroom and not ask the buying price, so really, why should it be any different with buying a puppy.

That being said, my pup is 8 weeks old, coming home after he's been desexed at 13 weeks, and I've not yet asked how much he is :rofl: So maybe there is a compromise between not asking up front, but asking at some stage before you pick them up :p

Yeah I've done that. Personally I have never asked the price up front but I don't mind at all if others do it to me.

Good Evening DOL's

mr.mister - I am looking for a Weimaraner pup.

showdog - I think i'll give it a few weeks before recontacting the breeders i haven't heard back from.

minimax - It really isn't my intention to come across as 'desperate', more like very keen to show I am a serious, comitted buyer and not a tyre-kicker (the doggy equivalent :confused: ). I certainly don't want to offend or annoy any breeders or purbred dog owners, its a whole new world to me & I sure do have alot to learn, thank you for your advice.

sheena - I absolutely expect to go on a waiting list, and am most happy to wait, I especially want to deal with a reputable breeder that doesn't churn out pup after pup. Finding out about the horror of puppy mills & byb's is what started me on this journey to begin with.

Alyosha - Thanks for enlightening me in regards to breeding being a hobby. I naively assumed that it was the main 'job' of a breeder, given that its so time consuming. When you contact a pet shop or shelter, a response is quick, so for a noob like myself, who has researched the breed til I'm cross eyed, it pays to learn more about the breeder-buyer process, though in my own defense, this thread was the 1st detailed information of 'etiquette' I've come across. Oh, and also about being away for shows - hadn't even considered that *insert embarrased face*

To those that mentioned buyers & the price of a pup, I did attempt to find out prior to even beginning to make inquiries, to ensure a Weim was within my financial means. I actually had alot of difficulty finding any info relevant to Australia anyway. I too agree that trying to barter a pup price is out of order!, and would certainly never even think of trying that.

Obviously I would like to know how much to expect to pay, as others have said, there is no point in going through the process and wasting a breeder's time if the price is not within the budget. Also, from my perspective, knowing the price differences between breeders allows me to become better informed as a buyer, for eg: is it the same price for all pups in a litter? or does it vary? Why is one breeder twice the price of another? etc etc.

I also need to be able to factor in transport costs if its interstate, from the limited info I found, it would cost as much as the cost of buying the pup to transport it! Thats a pricey exercise.

showdog - its exactly as you said, you really can get lost out there as a buyer.

Bjelkier - Thanks for that explanation,it gives me an appreciation for how busy breeders can get. I sure hope if I get to chat with some breeders, I don't ask too many stupid questions :hitself: I have spent alot of time being sure this is the breed for our family, and am just very eager to get the 'journey' started.

Thank you to everyone who posted a reply, I am grateful for you taking the time to respond, and thanks also for the advice & information. I feel completely prepared (well as much as one can be) for the 'doggy' side of things, but have definitely misfired on the breeder side of things. I hope i haven't 'blacklisted' myself by speaking out, that would be a shame, as I feel confident that I have the capacity to be a great Weim human mumma. I joined this forum to find support & advice, info etc, and already its been helpful. If anyone has any further advice, suggestions, or even head slaps(joke) please don't hesitate to contact me, especially if you are familiar with Weimaraners or breeders etc.

On an awesome note, I have now heard back from 2 breeders which is a fantastic start!

Cheers

Edited by JaCaMa

Weims are lovely. :)

Great to hear that you've heard back from some breeders. You sound like you've done your research so I'm sure you will be able to find a pup.

There is a Weim thread, link here: http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/106104-weimaraners-short-and-long-haired/

If you need any more help looking for a breeder/pup, I'm sure you'll find help in there - for the price of posting pictures of your new puppy when it arrives, DOLers love cute puppy photos! :laugh:

eta the link. :o

Edited by mr.mister

I also need to be able to factor in transport costs if its interstate, from the limited info I found, it would cost as much as the cost of buying the pup to transport it! Thats a pricey exercise.

I just wanted to comment on this. We have transported pups to puppy buyers interstate, last year we flew a couple of rottweiler pups from Hobart to Melbourne and the cost was around $200 each. A few years ago we flew a pup from Melbourne to Perth, and the cost was $300, again for a rottweiler pup. Now, this was a few years ago, and I'm sure it costs more now - but if you are getting quotes to transport that are equivalent to the purchase price of a pup, then you are being quoted very expensive transport!

there was a $600 difference in flying a greyhound pup from Melb to Brisbane. The difference was due to a door to door service or do the driving from house to airport ourselves. So it depends on what you ask for.

Thanks for the Weim thread link mr.mister! And I surely will be a prolific photo sharer lol

Mmm, I think I'll have to investigate the transport issue more thoroughly Allerzeit & Rebanne.

My home looks like a dog book library at the moment, can anyone recommend a useful Australian book on purchasing a pup, if there is one? Mine are all American.

Cheers

Good Evening DOL's

mr.mister - I am looking for a Weimaraner pup.

showdog - I think i'll give it a few weeks before recontacting the breeders i haven't heard back from.

minimax - It really isn't my intention to come across as 'desperate', more like very keen to show I am a serious, comitted buyer and not a tyre-kicker (the doggy equivalent :confused: ). I certainly don't want to offend or annoy any breeders or purbred dog owners, its a whole new world to me & I sure do have alot to learn, thank you for your advice.

sheena - I absolutely expect to go on a waiting list, and am most happy to wait, I especially want to deal with a reputable breeder that doesn't churn out pup after pup. Finding out about the horror of puppy mills & byb's is what started me on this journey to begin with.

Alyosha - Thanks for enlightening me in regards to breeding being a hobby. I naively assumed that it was the main 'job' of a breeder, given that its so time consuming. When you contact a pet shop or shelter, a response is quick, so for a noob like myself, who has researched the breed til I'm cross eyed, it pays to learn more about the breeder-buyer process, though in my own defense, this thread was the 1st detailed information of 'etiquette' I've come across. Oh, and also about being away for shows - hadn't even considered that *insert embarrased face*

To those that mentioned buyers & the price of a pup, I did attempt to find out prior to even beginning to make inquiries, to ensure a Weim was within my financial means. I actually had alot of difficulty finding any info relevant to Australia anyway. I too agree that trying to barter a pup price is out of order!, and would certainly never even think of trying that.

Obviously I would like to know how much to expect to pay, as others have said, there is no point in going through the process and wasting a breeder's time if the price is not within the budget. Also, from my perspective, knowing the price differences between breeders allows me to become better informed as a buyer, for eg: is it the same price for all pups in a litter? or does it vary? Why is one breeder twice the price of another? etc etc.

showdog - its exactly as you said, you really can get lost out there as a buyer.

Bjelkier - Thanks for that explanation,it gives me an appreciation for how busy breeders can get. I sure hope if I get to chat with some breeders, I don't ask too many stupid questions :hitself: I have spent alot of time being sure this is the breed for our family, and am just very eager to get the 'journey' started.

Thank you to everyone who posted a reply, I am grateful for you taking the time to respond, and thanks also for the advice & information. I feel completely prepared (well as much as one can be) for the 'doggy' side of things, but have definitely misfired on the breeder side of things. I hope i haven't 'blacklisted' myself by speaking out, that would be a shame, as I feel confident that I have the capacity to be a great Weim human mumma. I joined this forum to find support & advice, info etc, and already its been helpful. If anyone has any further advice, suggestions, or even head slaps(joke) please don't hesitate to contact me, especially if you are familiar with Weimaraners or breeders etc.

On an awesome note, I have now heard back from 2 breeders which is a fantastic start!

Cheers

That's great news :thumbsup: & you sound like a person that has not gone into this lightly. Here is a link to a past thread about someone who thought they might have asked the wrong or too many questions Breeder questions When I bought my pups I didn't have to ask the price, the breeders volunteered the information. Personally, my self, I much prefer to contact by email....I hate using the phone. No-one ever answers it any more, you just get an answering machine, & I find I can express myself much better in an email, than what I can over the phone, plus I have a record of the conversation, which I feel is important if you are buying something for big bickies. But that is probably just me & something to do with "old age" :D