Puppy Buyer Etiquette

Podengo

Thanks for that link sheena, yes I prefer a written record also, as drummed into me by my IT hubby... And it's helps with memory & that old age stuff too haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone has done their homework in choosing which breed is right for them & which breeders, then they should have a bit of an idea of the price range anyway.

How will they do this homework if they can't ask?? There aren't published lists etc out there for dogs, they're not like cars. Can't contacting and asking breeders be a part of the research?

Edited by Alyosha

If someone has done their homework in choosing which breed is right for them & which breeders, then they should have a bit of an idea of the price range anyway.

How will they do this homework if they can't ask?? There aren't published lists etc out there for dogs, they're not like cars. Can't contacting and asking breeders be a part of the research?

I didn't say it wasn't...to me that would all be part of the "homework"...talk or communicate with as many breeders as possible, go to shows & talk to breeders, talk to people who already have these dogs, get here on the internet & ask questions. When did I ever say they shouldn't talk to a breeder.

Good luck with your search for a Weim pup JaCaMa. I'm sure it will be worth all the effort - they are beautiful dogs :)

As for it being wrong to ask the price....I can't understand that at all. If the information isn't freely given, of course you'll have to ask! Ultimately you are making a financial transaction with the breeder and the differences in price from breeder to breeder can be substantial. If the asking price puts that particular breeder out of your reach, would it not be best to know upfront rather than wasting your time and theirs?

Aloysha, I've had no real luck finding out the 'general' cost of a (weim) pup (other than US info) you're right, there doesn't seem to be a guide of any kind, and even if there was, I expect there would be very large variances in price anyway. But it certainly is a consideration when buying for alot of people I would think :)

Skysoaringmagpie, I'm fairly sure my email is working well, as I use it several times daily & am receiving my usual influx, but thanks for the thought :)

sheena, I feel kinda uncomfortable bluntly asking people for prices, but at the same time really want to know for budgetary purposes. Do you think it would be acceptable to ask other Weimaraner owners for a general 'price guide' I'm so confused, because at the other end, is there are ceiling price on a pup?

Thanks WeimMe (love the name!) I really look forward to having a weim doggy family member one day, if I manage to successfully get through to that stage without scaring off every breeder around with my bumbling & 'newbiness'

Aloysha, I've had no real luck finding out the 'general' cost of a (weim) pup (other than US info) you're right, there doesn't seem to be a guide of any kind, and even if there was, I expect there would be very large variances in price anyway. But it certainly is a consideration when buying for alot of people I would think :)

Skysoaringmagpie, I'm fairly sure my email is working well, as I use it several times daily & am receiving my usual influx, but thanks for the thought :)

sheena, I feel kinda uncomfortable bluntly asking people for prices, but at the same time really want to know for budgetary purposes. Do you think it would be acceptable to ask other Weimaraner owners for a general 'price guide' I'm so confused, because at the other end, is there are ceiling price on a pup?

Thanks WeimMe (love the name!) I really look forward to having a weim doggy family member one day, if I manage to successfully get through to that stage without scaring off every breeder around with my bumbling & 'newbiness'

It sounds to me, like whoever sells one of their pups to you, it is going to be one hell of a lucky pup :) Not sure what state you are in, but if you contact your state canine body (ours is Dogs NSW), then in the back is a Breeder Directory. Ours has contact numbers for the WM Club of NSW & contact numbers for 5 breeders. You may even be able to access it over the internet.

ETA Just noticed you are from the Gold Coast. You can visit the website of WM club of NSW at WM Club NSW Breeders Link

Edited by sheena

Thanks WeimMe (love the name!) I really look forward to having a weim doggy family member one day, if I manage to successfully get through to that stage without scaring off every breeder around with my bumbling & 'newbiness.

Ask the question in the Dog Breeds 101 Weim thread or in the thread in the Breed Sub-Forum. I'm sure the Weim folk will answer.

I think a lot of the short and not very concise email enquiries are courtesy of the "Smartphones" (Samsung Galaxy and IPhone). Some tend to keep the wording short and sweet.

I got one the other day asking

"Good afternoon, I was wondering how much your puppies are?".."first name". Sent from ....brand name.

I spent a lovely 45 minutes speaking to a breeder last night in a breed completely new to us.

We were wanting to know more about the breed to see if they suited us. I also asked about health testing and of course a price. I do have a limit to how much I can an will spend so I need to know. I didn't ask it in the first part of the phone conversation but I did ask, I do not blindly go in and buy anything with knowing the price.

I have to say this particular breeder was lovely to speak to, answered everything I asked and is a person I am sure I could have a long term breeder/owner relationship with. IF we do get a dog of this breed I will go through her. She did ask how soon I was wanting a puppy and I told her when the right one comes up - I could hear the sigh of relief. I was then told many phone calls she gets wants then within weeks to months. I did tell her if she said yep I have a puppy here and it's ready in two weeks I would have a monir heart attack - I like to plan and be prepared. Most of my puppies/dogs I have brought home after months to years of orgainsing/preparation.

Good to hear you have heard back, you have done your research and you must post photos when you do get your new bundle :)

I spent a lovely 45 minutes speaking to a breeder last night in a breed completely new to us.

We were wanting to know more about the breed to see if they suited us. I also asked about health testing and of course a price. I do have a limit to how much I can an will spend so I need to know. I didn't ask it in the first part of the phone conversation but I did ask, I do not blindly go in and buy anything with knowing the price.

Ohh which breed you looking at OSS?

I did this recently as well once for myself (Finnish Spitz) and once for my brother (Stafford). First conversation with the Stafford breed I brought up price, I don't see anything wrong with it but I was speaking too him in person for about 30 minutes before asking a price and he didn't care that I asked. I knew what the average price should have been but as it wasn't me buying the pup, I needed to know the exact price before passing on details.

Still don't know how much my Finnish Spitz will be, I didn't worry about asking as the price won't put me off and I am guessing it will be around the same price as Tollers are.

Nearly every email I've received regarding Tollers asks how much are they? I think it's a reasonable question and I would rather they ask me before I send them on too breeders so they know how much they need to budget so I have no problems answering it :)

It sounds to me, like whoever sells one of their pups to you, it is going to be one hell of a lucky pup :) Not sure what state you are in, but if you contact your state canine body (ours is Dogs NSW), then in the back is a Breeder Directory. Ours has contact numbers for the WM Club of NSW & contact numbers for 5 breeders. You may even be able to access it over the internet.

ETA Just noticed you are from the Gold Coast. You can visit the website of WM club of NSW at WM Club NSW Breeders Link

Thanks sheena, thats a lovely thing to say! :thumbsup:

Ask the question in the Dog Breeds 101 Weim thread or in the thread in the Breed Sub-Forum. I'm sure the Weim folk will answer.

Thanks for the tip Haredown Whippets, much appreciated :thumbsup: