Comfortis

bonniek

I've got 7 dogs I have used it on and not had ANY problems with vomiting or anything. One may have been a bit quieter the next day but nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks, my concern was that it had clearly effected both this morning, my boy has brightened up, but my girl is still not a happy camper.

I gave Gilly Comfotis hopeing it would help with his allergies to fleas.

Made no difference whatsoever, he is still scratching like crazy.

When I use Advocate his scratching stops within a few days.

My dogs dont seem to have fleas, my other two are ok.

That's because with Comfortis the flea still has to bite the dog to get the poison.

With Advocate the poison is on the outside of the dog, flea does not have to bite dog to die within a short time period e.g. minutes to hours.

Well there you go i thought Advocate was like Frontline and the flea had to bite the animal to die :o. I have been tossing up for months if i would try the dogs on Comfotis or Sentinel, but i think i will try mr itchy on Advocate first.

It should always be given with a full meal and unless the dog vomits within the first hour, there is no need to re-dose.

Yes that is exactly what my vet told me.I have used this product for the first time last week and had no adverse reactions to my greys.

I have used it on my three as we have had a flea outbreak and I can happily say that they have no fleas on them anymore. I gave it to them with a full meal and have had no problems. The vet nurse when I brought it warned me about vomiting and lethargy. Unless they get more fleas though, I doubt I will give it to them again soon

I have been using comfortis for 3 months on a toy dog. The first two months I thought he was a bit quiet the next day, but last time I didnt notice any difference. I was using frontline plus before that, but it just didnt work. Very happy with comfortis.

That's because with Comfortis the flea still has to bite the dog to get the poison.

With Advocate the poison is on the outside of the dog, flea does not have to bite dog to die within a short time period e.g. minutes to hours.

Well there you go i thought Advocate was like Frontline and the flea had to bite the animal to die :o. I have been tossing up for months if i would try the dogs on Comfotis or Sentinel, but i think i will try mr itchy on Advocate first.

Frontline has the same action as Advocate, however some of our clients are reporting it is not working.

It doesn't hurt to change the active ingredient you use, every so often. :)

Thanks for the thread

An interesting read as this tablet has been recommended for dogs with ivermectin sensitivity.....

hmmmm.....

Have you read the bit where there is a caution of being given in conjunction with ivemectin products.

No actual proof as all testing on the product is still not comprehensive. There has been testing, but the product has not been around long enough for long term test results.

I have used it on all my bc's without issues.

I think there is also a warning on the leaflet in the packet, it should not be used on puppies under 14 weeks, although the vet recommends not under 6 months.

When I was a mobile groomer, some customers were able to use it without side effects on the dogs. The others ranged from mild lethargy to vomiting. Those that could use the product, managed to get 6-8 weeks out of the product between doses.

Would also recommend doing the environment and bedding, as this this is the main cause for re-infestation and will help speed up the process of breaking the cycle.

there is also the warning that it's safe use has not been proven on stud dogs or words to that effect.

Is it safe to give my dog Comfortis chewable tablets?

Comfortis chewable tablets have been demonstrated to be safe in pure and mixed breeds of healthy dogs when used according to label directions. Safety was established in puppies 14 weeks of age and older and adult dogs in both laboratory studies and clinical field studies. You should discuss the use of Comfortis chewable tablets with your veterinarian prior to use if your dog has a history of epilepsy (seizures).

Is it safe to give my breeding dogs Comfortis chewable tablets?

Use with caution in breeding females. You should discuss the use of Comfortis chewable tablets with your veterinarian prior to use in breeding females. Safe use of Comfortis chewable tablets in male dogs intended for breeding has not been evaluated.

What side effects might occur with Comfortis chewable tablets?

Like all medications, sometimes side effects may occur. In some cases, dogs vomited after receiving Comfortis chewable tablets. If vomiting occurs within an hour of administration, redose with another full dose. During clinical studies, no severe or prolonged vomiting occurred. Additional adverse reactions observed in the clinical studies were decreased appetite, lethargy or decreased activity, diarrhea, cough, increased thirst, vocalization, increased appetite, redness of the skin, hyperactivity and excessive salivation. These reactions were regarded as mild and did not result in any dog being removed from the studies.

Since the introduction of Comfortis, additional side effects reported are incoordination, itching, trembling and seizures.

Frontline has the same action as Advocate, however some of our clients are reporting it is not working.

It doesn't hurt to change the active ingredient you use, every so often. :)

Yeah our vets are seeing Frontline not being as effective more and more. And it does not seem to work anymore with my guys. I tend to chop and change every so often but have not tried Advocate :).

there is also the warning that it's safe use has not been proven on stud dogs or words to that effect.

Is it safe to give my dog Comfortis chewable tablets?

Comfortis chewable tablets have been demonstrated to be safe in pure and mixed breeds of healthy dogs when used according to label directions. Safety was established in puppies 14 weeks of age and older and adult dogs in both laboratory studies and clinical field studies. You should discuss the use of Comfortis chewable tablets with your veterinarian prior to use if your dog has a history of epilepsy (seizures).

Is it safe to give my breeding dogs Comfortis chewable tablets?

Use with caution in breeding females. You should discuss the use of Comfortis chewable tablets with your veterinarian prior to use in breeding females. Safe use of Comfortis chewable tablets in male dogs intended for breeding has not been evaluated.

What side effects might occur with Comfortis chewable tablets?

Like all medications, sometimes side effects may occur. In some cases, dogs vomited after receiving Comfortis chewable tablets. If vomiting occurs within an hour of administration, redose with another full dose. During clinical studies, no severe or prolonged vomiting occurred. Additional adverse reactions observed in the clinical studies were decreased appetite, lethargy or decreased activity, diarrhea, cough, increased thirst, vocalization, increased appetite, redness of the skin, hyperactivity and excessive salivation. These reactions were regarded as mild and did not result in any dog being removed from the studies.

Since the introduction of Comfortis, additional side effects reported are incoordination, itching, trembling and seizures.

Thanks for your information, I don't think I will be administering Comfortis to my dogs again, it was too stressful for them and also myself. Hated seeing them feeling unwell, knowing I was responsible.

I spoke to soon with Ziggy and comfortis.

He had is monthly dose last night after dinner at around 6pm and then about 10.30pm he vomited dinner up...

I won't redose him as it was in his system for a while.

The only difference to other times is that we have a foster baby here and they played heaps after dinner, so maybe it was because he did not just chill out and relax and was hyped up... I hope so.

He seems fine today (has not slowed down) apart from not being that interested in breakfast but when I gave the foster some lunch (she is only a baby and has 3 meals a day), I also gave him some and he ate it...