How To Cook Liver?

Red Fox

I cut it into chunks then boil it for a minute or two the give it a quick fry in oil and garlic then you can cut it into the size piece you want.

My non food focused dog would walk over hot coals for it

Okay thankssmile.gif Mine goes nuts over bland food, she may do backflips for that lol!

This has just reminded me that I still need to cut the one I cooked yesterday into small cubes. I just boiled it in water for about 10 minutes, then poured the water into take away containers to make ice blocks for warm days. Not a fan of the smell though! The things we do....

Liver cake - whizz up the liver in a blender, mix in however much flour you need to make it the consistency of scone dough, add some garlic if you want to, press out in a tin, thickness is whatever you like, bake at 160-180 until it's solid. Turn out on to a rack or board then when it's cool/cold cut however small you like.

Not the best of smells I agree.

I do not like bait that is crunchy.

To me there is nothing worse than a dog in the ring chewing and cracking crunchy bait.

I keep my liver similar to leather and it does not stain the pockets either. Straight beef liver done in the microwave.

If you want good firm bait try 500 grams of beef liver, 1 egg, shell and all if you wish, and a cup of flour, SR or plain.

Blend liver in blender, add egg and then the flour then put into swiss roll tin and cook for about half an hour in moderate oven for about 30 to 40 minutes. I use a non stick pan.

Heaps of ideas. Perhaps I should have bought more liver laugh.gif

Not the best of smells I agree.

To me there is nothing worse than a dog in the ring chewing and cracking crunchy bait.

I keep my liver similar to leather and it does not stain the pockets either. Straight beef liver done in the microwave.

If you want good firm bait try 500 grams of beef liver, 1 egg, shell and all if you wish, and a cup of flour, SR or plain.

Blend liver in blender, add egg and then the flour then put into swiss roll tin and cook for about half an hour in moderate oven for about 30 to 40 minutes. I use a non stick pan.

Does it crumble? Ideally I would like something I can use for tracking. So small, non crumbly and easy to eat but not too messy either.

Boil / simmer 10 mins and when cool slice thinly and place in a slow oven for 1 hour or so leave in oven with the door closed until cool.

I do this too, but omit the boil/simmer bit at the start...just slice thinly and lay out on some grease-proof paper and put in a slow oven (140 deg celsius) for an hour or so. Becomes rather leathery on the outside, but still soft-ish on the inside. Chop into whatever sized bits you like. All dogs in this household give it the thumbs-up :thumbsup:

Boil / simmer 10 mins and when cool slice thinly and place in a slow oven for 1 hour or so leave in oven with the door closed until cool.

I do this too, but omit the boil/simmer bit at the start...just slice thinly and lay out on some grease-proof paper and put in a slow oven (140 deg celsius) for an hour or so. Becomes rather leathery on the outside, but still soft-ish on the inside. Chop into whatever sized bits you like. All dogs in this household give it the thumbs-up :thumbsup:

Yes that is what I do too, although I only cook it in a slow oven for about 1/2 hr and then leave it in the oven until cool.

JR

Cut into strips, put on a dinner plate. Sprinkle with garlic or whatever. Cover with upturned bowl. Nucrowave for about 5 minutes or so (depending upon the power of your nucrowave). Allow to cool. Cut into cubes.

The bowl stops splatter and a lot of the smell.

Slice and put on a rack in the microwave for a few minutes.

and then leave the house for the next 2 hours because of the smell rofl1.gif But the kids love it thumbsup1.gif

Is that roughly how long the smell lingers? I can't smell so can happily do odourful preparations while OH is away...however I've always worried the smell might hang around for a week and I can't judge when it is safe to close the kitchen windows again.

Sorry to hijack SecretKei but another quick question...roughly how long does oven baked liver last (how it keeps, not how quickly your dogs finish it off ;) )

Nor do I.

How thin do you slice the liver to achieve the 'leather' effect, Oakway?

Cook it outside!! On camp stove or BBQ if boiling, or take microwave outside. Otherwise it stinks out the house for hours.

That is my payback on my human kids for the many times they leave my kitchen in a mess. While I don't love the smell it doesn't really worry me but it does them!!!!

When I am cooking or have cooked liver it ensures my kitchen stays clean at least for a while.