Delta Dog Training Course / Ndtf Course

Hi

Has anyone done either of these courses and if so what did you think ?

I like the idea of learning all 4 quadrants with the NDTF and that its a 10 month course

but everyone around here seems to want Delta but thats a 2.5 year course but it is a cert IV

when the NDTF is cert III

Decisions Decisions

Edited by charley101

I went NDTF because I don't believe it is valuable to only be taught two quadrants and particular tools.

Learn everything then choose what YOU are comfortable / happy with.

NDTF are looking at increasing theirs to a Cert 4, those of us that have done the cert 3 will then just have to do a small bridging course to get the cert 4.

Also - NDTF is the only one that is actually dog specific, Delta isn't dog specific and covers all animals (that could be a bonus to you or not).

I would do the NDTF course again :) Not sure how much has changed since I went through (was a while ago now) - I have a friend going through at the moment through correspondence. I think it is important to understand different methods and tools and how to use them and where and when and why people use them. And then decide, based on what you are comfortable with, your dogs, aims, discipline you train in etc what you want to use. I found it a good starting point, and have done many seminars through various presenters since, on many and varied topics.

I have heard from people doing Delta that they don't do this - they don't give you any information at all on some tools or methods apart from saying they are cruel - and I think in order to form your own opinion on something you have to be given information on it.

I have found the admin to be a bit slow in responding though.

Don't hold your breath on NDTF doing the Cert IV, they said when I did the course in 2006!

Certainly would recommend NDTF course though and agree with what Kavik said. Learning different methods has stood me in good stead over the years, just keep an open mind.

I don't know a lot about either however, a friend did the Delta and she is so delta delta delta POSITIVE ONLY IYKWIM. She can't see any other way but what Delta preached. I have noticed with the NDTF'ers on here that they seem to be more open minded and use a variety of tools/methods.

Delta won't teach you everything, they teach you what they believe is right. Read the Delta book once, highly entertaining. I did the NDTF course and they tell you, we teach you all and you then choose what you want to use, but at least you have all the facts. And that's what I was happy with.

I know a number of people who have done delta & a number who have done NDTF.From each course, i know some very good and some pretty crappy trainers amongst them. As a group, the ones i know who have done NDTF are better trainers, but I'm not sure whether it is because the course is better or because it seems to attract people with more aptitude/experience.

I think it depends on what the reason is for you doing the course. If it is to learn a lot maybe one is better than the other, if it is to get a qualification for your resume, then maybe another one would be better.

I have seen a few people that have done the NDTF course and really was disappointed in the results.

A girl from work did it (she is already pretty good with dogs/horses etc) and she said for her it was a very expensive piece of paper and if she knew then what she knows now, she would have spent that money on her overseas trip she was trying to decide between.

So it really is horses for courses.

I wouldn't think there would be penalties but if you are going to pay the money, you may need to use it so you can learn the effective/safe/correct way to use it and therefore you will better equipped to be able to teach others that do use it. You may end up helping someone that will only use one

Does anyone know if you would get penalized for not wanting to use a choke chain or prong collar during the practical sessions on the NDTF course. (please no comments about why i dont want to use them) :)

I've done quite a bit of enquiring in to both courses and know people who have done both. to be honest the NDTF course sounds a bit more balanced, while Delta sounds quite one sided (Delta also has a system of continually changing what you need to have to be "qualified and listed" as a Delta instructor, so I know some people who aren't affiliated with them anymore because of the continual need for update courses which are costly from what I've been told).

But anyway, in my NDTF enquiries I do recall someone saying that in the practical sessions they expose you to all different methods of training and training tools but you aren't obliged to use any of them. I could be wrong but I'm 99% sure someone who has done the course or possibly the administrators of the course have told me this.

The other thing that has turned me off Delta is that the 5 day block only happens in Sydney now - it just puts cost totally out of reach having to travel to it, get accommodation for me + dog on top of the course cost. Maybe they'll change that component though. :confused:

When I went through, you were shown how to use all the equipment, demo on your leg/arm. You didn't have to use any particular equipment on your own dog. The practicals were run differently when I went through so not sure what happens in them now (no correspondence when I went through, I got permission to do my practical at a club in Sydney that had instructors affiliated with them instead of in Melbourne like everyone else at the time). I assume that if someone in a class or in kennels during the practical wants to use a piece of equipment on a particular dog and you are helping with that dog, that you will have to use that piece of equipment, so you can learn how to use it properly.

Does anyone know if you would get penalized for not wanting to use a choke chain or prong collar during the practical sessions on the NDTF course. (please no comments about why i dont want to use them)

you don't have to, but you learn what the correct method is. I dont see the point of doing a dog training course and not giving things a go though. You're not doing yourself any favours in the long run flat our refusing to use equipment you have never tried correctly.

Does anyone know if you would get penalized for not wanting to use a choke chain or prong collar during the practical sessions on the NDTF course. (please no comments about why i dont want to use them) :)

If you dig your heels in they won't make you but they strongly suggest you try everything so that you know the method.