Really Tough Toys - Suggestions?

Kirty

I want to get some really tough, durable toys that I can leave in the backyard for the dogs to play with. Needs to be hard-wearing and safe! Was thinking about some of those big, hard balls with the handles? Any ideas?

A friend of mine had one of those balls with ropes on it (assume that is what you are thinking of??) It lasted about 15mins with their staffy x. She managed to get the rope handles off and pop the ball.

Her fave toy is a semi deflated soccer ball. The current one has lasted about 6 months and is still going strong. When it starts to get tatty they throw it out and give her a new one.

Whenever they give her a fully flated ball, she pops it, so 3/4 full is about right apparently.

My dogs have clear treat balls and rubber treat balls ( having a mental blank and can't remember their names) that have lasted a few years. They also have fantastic foam balls that have lasted well too. Others like the kong genius don't last long with my guys at all! Nylabones are good too

The clear ones come from clearing I think. I find the stuff comes out too quickly with them. The best treat balls ive found are bustercubes.

The ruddy toy range is also pretty good. Pets1.com.au have a lot of good stuff and they have a discount for DOLERs too

My big dog has had his orbee/planet dog toys for years (and he is a chewer) but my youngest dog broke them in minutes (they are really durable for MOST dogs). I now have a fireplug toy from the ever lasting treat ball range and it is standing up really well against her super destruction! And you can stuff treats in it.

ETA: Personally I find my dogs are more likely to play with smaller toys that bounce easily etc than the big toys. I had some of those big tough soft toys, I think they are called tuffies? The dogs never played with them. I don't know if anyone else finds their dogs are the same??

Edited by huski

I bought my staffords a Jolly Ball. Basically it's sort of like those aussiedog balls but half the price. I have also seen bouys (what you attach to carb pots etc) that are similar too. It IS the only ball that has lasted longer than 5mins in my yard!! The only problem I have with it is I have to take it off my boy as he just goes nuts on it!!! :eek: He WILL NOT stop chasing it around the yard so totally exhausts himself so his time with it has to be monitored :crazy: LOL Other than that I put treats in thicker juice/sauce bottles that I have cruched a little, with a bit of peanut butter around the top and they go nuts trying to get the treats out so keeps them busy on the days I'm not home all day.

The larger Cuz balls are pretty darned durable - and the Chuckit rubber tennis balls are indestructable. They are the only toys that my Lab hasn't managed to destroy to date.

We have 2 large Cuz balls and a few Chuckit rubber tennis balls that have lasted nearly 6 years so far - they are still her fave toys and get a good chewing on a daily basis.

T.

I once had a GSD-oriented friend who found a source of second hand conveyer belts and cut them up for the dogs.

His destroyed most toys, including Jolly balls and Cuz balls, in no time.

The conveyer belting stood up pretty well.

I like to give cheap paint rollers (not used) to mine. The fiberousness slows them down, and at a few bucks a pop, who cares if they get destroyed fairly quickly.

Thanks for the ideas. The Jolly balls are what I was looking at but they are quite expensive so I wanted to be sure they are tough!

I've found a temporary solution though - five empty juice bottle and three cardboard boxes = happy puppies!

My youngest absolutely love Aussiedog turbo chook and home alone ... we are on our 5th heavy duty Turbo chook and our 3rd home alone and we really need a new clothes line ... and the boy is almost 3yrs old.

Hey Tilly, where do i buy the Turbo Chook from?

I've just looked it up on Google, checked a few websites, found some for 50 bucks and some for over 100.. :confused:

I want to get some really tough, durable toys that I can leave in the backyard for the dogs to play with. Needs to be hard-wearing and safe! Was thinking about some of those big, hard balls with the handles? Any ideas?

I have to rotate toys otherwise my guys get bored with them, if they last that long, but when I swap them every now and then its like they have a new toy again.

I got them some old go cart tyres that last ages but they are good for dogs with big heads but not good for dogs that have a head small enough to fit through the middle as one of our pups put his head through the middle once and was walking around like he had a big necklace on with his nose sticking out. It was easy enough for us to get off and looked funny at the time but god knows how long he would have had it on if we weren't home. So now we only leave the go cart tyres with the bigger dogs. Ours run around with them, chew them and play tug of war with them. I also have an 8 month old that tries to balance on them or pulls his teddies and ropes through the middle which is quite bizzar to watch. We got ours for nothing as they were just getting chucked and they have only destroyed one so far where normally they destroy anything given to them even the toys that are marketed as super tough.

I brought a ball with a rope through from the expo and the 8 month old chewed it to pieces in about 15 minutes. I have a dog here that chews the black Kongs to pieces so it starts to get expensive trying to keep them amused, I'l have to have a look at this thread and so what others suggest.

Cheers Lee

My big dog has had his orbee/planet dog toys for years (and he is a chewer) but my youngest dog broke them in minutes (they are really durable for MOST dogs). I now have a fireplug toy from the ever lasting treat ball range and it is standing up really well against her super destruction! And you can stuff treats in it.

See that amazes me since Daisy manages to kill more things than Bundy. His fire plug lasted less than 4 days. Maybe that has more to do with the fact my dogs seem to use everything as tug of war toys.. :laugh:

My cuz balls are coming up to 2yrs old and still going. Although the dogs did stop playing with them for about a year as they didn't like the texture. Now they looove them.