Tricky Scenario At The Park

ElleAus

.I agree here...

I assume most of those who have called certain people disgusting for their burning building opinion, have children. The replies were certainly understandable - however, I can't say I would ever go so far as to call someone a disgusting psychopath who should never have children over the net. Geez. This is a forum, not an actual burning building. People say things. In reality, no one knows exactly how they'd react in such an incredibly terrifying situation.

I have no idea what I would do in that situation, but I can only try to imagine. I doubt I would be in the building in the first place, the coward I am.

I am not a parent. I'm sure there are plenty on DOL who aren't. So no, I can't possibly imagine the extent that a parent loves their child. I've never experienced it, so I can only imagine it, but I'm sure it doesn't come anywhere close to what it really is. Until I have children, I'm not going to know this love, only the love I've experienced, which happens to be the love for my pets. Does it make me a psychopath if in my imagined scenario, I might think of my pet, which I love, first? Not because I hate the child in mention or am apparently a closeted serial killer or something, but because I love my animal, and in a high pressure situation like that I doubt I'd be thinking straight at all.

Call me a monster all you like.

You don't have to be a parent to realise that anyone who would abandon a human to die, in order to save a dog, is not quite right.

No, I don't think they're 'not quite right'. I feel fairly confident in saying that no one (including whoever said they would be 100% sure) can anticipate what anyone would do in such an horrific situation. :shrug:

Edited by mr.mister

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

.I agree here...

I assume most of those who have called certain people disgusting for their burning building opinion, have children. The replies were certainly understandable - however, I can't say I would ever go so far as to call someone a disgusting psychopath who should never have children over the net. Geez. This is a forum, not an actual burning building. People say things. In reality, no one knows exactly how they'd react in such an incredibly terrifying situation.

I have no idea what I would do in that situation, but I can only try to imagine. I doubt I would be in the building in the first place, the coward I am.

I am not a parent. I'm sure there are plenty on DOL who aren't. So no, I can't possibly imagine the extent that a parent loves their child. I've never experienced it, so I can only imagine it, but I'm sure it doesn't come anywhere close to what it really is. Until I have children, I'm not going to know this love, only the love I've experienced, which happens to be the love for my pets. Does it make me a psychopath if in my imagined scenario, I might think of my pet, which I love, first? Not because I hate the child in mention or am apparently a closeted serial killer or something, but because I love my animal, and in a high pressure situation like that I doubt I'd be thinking straight at all.

You don't have to be a parent to realise that anyone who would abandon a human to die, in order to save a dog, is not quite right.

No, I don't think they're 'not quite right'. I feel fairly confident in saying that no one (including whoever said they would be 100% sure) can anticipate what anyone would do in such an horrific situation. :shrug:

What I'm really getting at, is the original comment that OG was "100% certain" they would leave a child to die. To be so certain you could disregard human life, and you would have no qualms walking away, and happily state it in public, is completely wrong on so many levels.

.I agree here...

What I'm really getting at, is the original comment that OG was "100% certain" they would leave a child to die. To be so certain you could disregard human life, and you would have no qualms walking away, and happily state it in public, is completely wrong on so many levels.

Yes, I understand, hence me saying that I don't think anybody could ever be that certain about such a thing, regardless of what they say in the comfort of their computer chairs.

Wasn't defending OG, just questioning whether people can adequately judge them as a psychopath who shouldn't have children, over an internet forum.

.Wasn't defending OG, just questioning whether people can adequately judge them as a psychopath who shouldn't have children, over an internet forum.

If they put out statements that make them sound like a psychopath, then that's how they will be judged.

.Wasn't defending OG, just questioning whether people can adequately judge them as a psychopath who shouldn't have children, over an internet forum.

If they put out statements that make them sound like a psychopath, then that's how they will be judged.

:laugh: It's the internet. It's notorious for people saying extreme things. That doesn't mean 80%+ of people on the internet are psychopaths.

Each to their own, but I'm reserving judgment.

Oh FFS what kind of sick loonie would be in a burning house and think 'hmm...dog or child...hmmm DOG!'

Seriously, you need your head read if you truly believe that is what you would do.

You obviousy have no human contact apart from the internet so see your dogs as your family. Guess what? As much as we all love our dogs, they are DOGS! Animals! Not human! How would you feel if someone had to make that decision, between you and their dog? What an absolute twit. Honestly.

Oh FFS what kind of sick loonie would be in a burning house and think 'hmm...dog or child...hmmm DOG!'

Seriously, you need your head read if you truly believe that is what you would do.

You obviousy have no human contact apart from the internet so see your dogs as your family. Guess what? As much as we all love our dogs, they are DOGS! Animals! Not human! How would you feel if someone had to make that decision, between you and their dog? What an absolute twit. Honestly.

:clap:

While I love my dogs, they arent my children, I have those as well. :laugh:

If people come to my house that don't like/are uncomfortable with them, I have no trouble putting my dogs in their run, or crating them.

I can fully understand how a special bond can be formed with your dog, especially if your dog has been with you through some tough times, and helped you recover.

But, I also understand that human life is always more

important than a dogs.

I would always save a human life (and without a second thought a childs life) over my dog, unless it was a mass

murderer.

If you saw a child sitting in the middle of the road, and your dog lying on the road a few feet away, and a truck hurtling towards them, and you could only save one in time, I cannot imagine anyone would not run out and save

the child! It would be instinct, surely?

Heck, as much as I love my dogs, I'd have no hesitation in saving a homeless drunk over them.

Human life will always, and rightly so, come before an animal.

To the OP, well done remaining calm in a stressful situation.

Edited by Bite Me

A question for those who think it is reasonable to save your dog before a human, would you happily wait your turn to be rescued from a burning building while people who could easily help you, choose to leave you behind to get their own dogs out first???

Back to the opening topic...

Last Friday was little league baseball on our local oval. I took the dog out well after all the games had finished, and little children were running riot everywhere. And I swear someone told some of the kids to go chase and pat all the dogs at the park. It was not pretty.

When confronted by too many children to avoid, I tell them, this is a dog not a toy! and if they want to pat - then one at a time, pat here, and gentlely. There was not a parent in sight.

So I expect this thread will implode shortly but here is my burning building scenario based on the rude child and slow parent from the opening post.

If a child set the building on fire to burn the dog in it, too right I'd save the dog first and let Darwin sort the child. Everything is relative. If it was well behaved child and my dog, I would try to save both, but I would save what was easiest first. Emergency Services workers aren't too pleased when untrained ill prepared people put their own lives in danger trying to save someone else (dog or human).

I don't understand the assumption that the child was disabled or that he was on the Autism spectrum, was there something other than what you put in your OP that made you think this or was it just that the kid didn't listen to you and shoved you? I have had more than your average persons experience with Autistic kids (including family members) and I can tell you that none of them would have behaved like this, but I certainly do know a few kids that are just poorly parented who might.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I am yet to read this whole thread, but i agree with this, you dont know this child had autism, but of course a "naughty child", or one that wasobviously not being supervised properly just has to be autistic gets my back up.

My autistic child is never not right next to me when out, even at 9 years old, I would never let him wander off, and although he has his moments,as i avoid triggers well, and people while out and about dont even know his is autistic, he

also would not just wander up to a stranger and has been taught to never touch anybodys dog unless they say it is ok, although with his sensory issues he does not like patting dogs anyway, so dont just think every naughty child must have autism,

oh and just to add......... i would also get my autistic child and my other children out of a burning house over my dog or both my cats, :bolt:

Last Friday was little league baseball on our local oval. I took the dog out well after all the games had finished, and little children were running riot everywhere. And I swear someone told some of the kids to go chase and pat all the dogs at the park. It was not pretty.

When confronted by too many children to avoid, I tell them, this is a dog not a toy! and if they want to pat - then one at a time, pat here, and gentlely. There was not a parent in sight.

So I expect this thread will implode shortly but here is my burning building scenario based on the rude child and slow

parent from the opening post.

If a child set the building on fire to burn the dog in it, too right I'd save the dog first and let Darwin sort the child. Everything is relative. If it was well behaved child and my dog, I would try to save both, but I would save what was easiest first. Emergency Services workers aren't too pleased when untrained ill prepared people put their own

lives in danger trying to save someone else (dog or

human).

I find your reasoning even more bizarre. :confused:

You will save a polite child over your dog, but not one that

is rude, (or quite possibly mentally handicapped)

Lots of children play with matches and some even manage to start a fire, it doesn't mean they deserve to be left in a

burning building while you save your dog.

I'm truly hoping that in a real life scenario that the people who said they'd save their dog over a child, that instinct would kick in and they would save the child.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Bite Me

A question for those who think it is reasonable to save your dog before a human, would you happily wait your turn to be rescued from a burning building while people who could easily help you, choose to leave you behind to get their own dogs out first???

Sorry, I really think this is a bit of a silly question.. of course not, the instinct to survive overrules all else.

My point was that just because someone may, in a moment of sheer panic, fear, and pressure, (in which we'll have no idea how we'll act in the first place) think of their beloved pet first over a stranger, does not necessarily make them a psychopath nor relinquish their right to have children.

Sorry, I really think this is a bit of a silly question.. of course not, the instinct to survive overrules all else.

My point was that just because someone may, in a moment of sheer panic, fear, and pressure, (in which we'll have no idea how we'll act in the first place) think of their beloved pet first over a stranger, does not necessarily make them a psychopath nor relinquish their right to have children.

You're not the only one the question was aimed at, you know :)

A very personal matter? wow... it really isn't...!

:eek:

Actually, it is. Why is it that people who vehemently hold one perspective believe anyone who has a different perspective is nuts?

Agreed Willow. I haven't read the whole thread so i'm not sure who said they would do such a stupid thing, but you are an idiot and to say you would leave a child in a burning house to save your dog is not only morally reprehensible but criminal. I sincerely hope you never have children. NO dogs life should come before that of a child, anyones child.

To be honest, I think you said it to gain a reaction, because I really don't believe anyone would save a dog first over a baby. Or maybe I am a bit naive and there are more psychopaths like you than I realised!

I had to come back again and reply again.....I am so utterly appalled, disgusted and shocked that someone could leave a child to die....as the mother of an almost 2 year old, and a 4 month old, the thought that someone could watch my children dying, go "nah, **** 'em, get the dog instead" makes me want to vomit. I love my animals, but they do not rank above the life of a child. ANY child, be they mine or a strangers.

Someone who could do that does not deserve to call themselves human.

I love how everyone branding those of us who have said we would save our dog as psychopaths and inhuman. If a building was on fire my first instinct would be to protect what I love and that is my dog. I wouldn't be standing there weighing it up and thinking about the devastation the parents of the child would be feeling versus the devastation I'd feel at knowing my dog burned to death. I imagine I would be running high on adrenaline and instinct and that would see me go for my dog first. I would try my damnedest to save everyone if I could but if it's my life I'm risking, who are you to tell me what I should or shouldn't do with it?

I agree here...

This. Exactly this. People are making out like we're saying we'd be standing there watching a child burn to death. We wouldn't be. We would be doing the best we could in a terrible situation and running on instinct, not thinking everything out rationally and being cold and calculated with our decisions. It is instinct to protect what you love and I would be shocked if anyone didn't try to save their loved ones over someone they didn't know, regardless of age.

Actually, the DOLer who sparked this particular train of thought HAS been rationally cold and calculating, they quite specifically stated they would 100% save their dog over a child. Not in the heat of the moment, not running on adrenaline, but in the cold light of day, sitting at a computer, they stated they would leave a child behind and save the dog.

A very personal matter? wow... it really isn't...!

:eek:

Actually, it is. Why is it that people who vehemently hold one perspective believe anyone who has a different perspective is nuts?

Agreed Willow. I haven't read the whole thread so i'm not sure who said they would do such a stupid thing, but you are an idiot and to say you would leave a child in a burning house to save your dog is not only morally reprehensible but criminal. I sincerely hope you never have children. NO dogs life should come before that of a child, anyones child.

To be honest, I think you said it to gain a reaction, because I really don't believe anyone would save a dog first over a baby. Or maybe I am a bit naive and there are more psychopaths like you than I realised!

I had to come back again and reply again.....I am so utterly appalled, disgusted and shocked that someone could leave a child to die....as the mother of an almost 2 year old, and a 4 month old, the thought that someone could watch my children dying, go "nah, **** 'em, get the dog instead" makes me want to vomit. I love my animals, but they do not rank above the life of a child. ANY child, be they mine or a strangers.

Someone who could do that does not deserve to call themselves human.

I love how everyone branding those of us who have said we would save our dog as psychopaths and inhuman. If a building was on fire my first instinct would be to protect what I love and that is my dog. I wouldn't be standing there weighing it up and thinking about the devastation the parents of the child would be feeling versus the devastation I'd feel at knowing my dog burned to death. I imagine I would be running high on adrenaline and instinct and that would see me go for my dog first. I would try my damnedest to save everyone if I could but if it's my life I'm risking, who are you to tell me what I should or shouldn't do with it?

I agree here...

This. Exactly this. People are making out like we're saying we'd be standing there watching a child burn to death. We wouldn't be. We would be doing the best we could in a terrible situation and running on instinct, not thinking everything out rationally and being cold and calculated with our decisions. It is instinct to protect what you love and I would be shocked if anyone didn't try to save their loved ones over someone they didn't know, regardless of age.

Snook you have explained my feelings on this subject 100% in a much calmer and succinct way then I am able.

I will say that some of you need to get off your bloody high horse's and understand that not everyone see's things the way you do and that does not make us psycho's or bad people, it just makes us different. And at least we have been able to stay in this conversation without slinging insults at those who disagree with us.

Looks like the OP has left this burning building. Cant say I blame her. Calling strangers on the net psychopaths, idiots, criminals and subhuman because they responded to a hypothetical? Seriously? I doubt very much anyone knows what on earth they'd do in that scenario but it has little to do with the OP anyway.

Edited by raz

So I expect this thread will implode shortly but here is my burning building scenario based on the rude child and slow parent from the opening post.

If a child set the building on fire to burn the dog in it, too right I'd save the dog first and let Darwin sort the child. Everything is relative. If it was well behaved child and my dog, I would try to save both, but I would save what was easiest first. Emergency Services workers aren't too pleased when untrained ill prepared people put their own lives in danger trying to save someone else (dog or human).

WTF?