Introducing Clancy Fancy Pants From Peiradise

Well look who is living at my house now! It's Young Master Clancy!

He's only been here since Saturday arvo but he and my dogs have done so well, I'm very proud of all of them.

This afternoon I got welcomed home from work by a very excited Clancy (after his first short spell alone with our other two). I think his personality is coming through a bit more everyday and he has slotted right in to house routines and even learnt stuff from the other dogs like to tap on the doors when he wants out. I am yet to find anything that motivates him to walk on a leash but wont give up! My sister and I massage him everyday to help him connect with us and realise that he can expect pleasure from us and not be scared. I'm hoping that will then help me to get him to focus on me so I can train him in all the areas he needs as well as stop him from worrying about hands. Mind you, he adores my mum (she visits him daily!) and I'm wondering if I could use her for leash walking bait?????

I am not a great photographer but this is one of Clancy yesterday:

post-33739-0-41176300-1329729516_thumb.jpg

Edited by Puppy_Sniffer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

T he loves his cuddles - when he feels like it! He is very soft.

Everyday I can see more of his personality come out. Today he has chewed on and dragged around anything he can lay his snout on. He and Stussy are currently rearranging the furniture with an active game of bitey face.

Ams he does have some good traits - I am noting them in my head as I discover them so I can refer back to them when he starts pushing my buttons! So far it has all been much better than I expected. The biggest challenge is to get his focus and maintain it for more than a nano second so we can do some proper training. I know he has it in him but he really freezes up with one on one attention still. We are going to try group walking tonight and see if that helps him.

I shall not give up!

Well - if he loves his cuddles (on his terms of course), please make sure he gets at least one cuddle per day from me, OK?

Is he food oriented at all? Some yummy smelly lamb puffs broken into small bits might work. Lamb puffs are dried lamb lung - I have met very few dogs who refuse them.

T.

Tdierikx he is food focused but doesn't trust you not to grab him when he comes close enough to take it from your hands. It will take PS a while to win his trust on this one. It took me a while.

No sure if this helps but I will share it anyway.

When we were training one of my bullies, the trainer suggested holding the treat between your eyes and saying dog's name. If the dog looked, reward.

PS, when the gorgeous Clancy Pants looks at you when you call his name, you could drop the treat. He may feel safer picking the treat from the floor rather than your hand.

Edited by HonBun

Just did a post and lost it!

HonBun I will train him in 'look' but not yet as he finds direct looks up close a bit threatening.

And I have lamb puffs ordered as the lamb treats, yoghurt drops and cheese have not inspired him.

Today though I managed his mouthing by turning it into a 'touch' command. I use a closed fist held down low to the side and he hits it with his nose for reward cuddles. He's also been spending part of his nights in the open crate fast asleep, which I will take advantage of at some point to get him crate trained.

He's a smart boy and will pick up things quickly but he is still fearful of foccused one on one stuff so I am trying to gain his trust and minimise his scared reactions (he can really freeze up).

My sister is home with him tomorrow so she will be doing the same things I have.

Oh and tonight he has discovered his bark. It is quite deep for his size. First time we've heard a peep out of him!

PS, how does he react one on one if you are sitting on the floor nearer to his level?

With a head like his, all I'd want to do is grab it and smother it in kisses... *grin*... he is such a pretty boy...

I've only had close interactions with 2 Pei's who were a bit scared, and I found they reacted better at first if I was down closer to their level and posed no immediate threat - a couple of days of non confrontational interaction and they were much more at ease with me and allowed me to do almost anything with them - oh, and they both loved scratches just above the base of the tail and on the side of the neck up near the ears...

I must also say that I wouldn't have known how to make friends with those Pei's if I hadn't gotten some great advice from Ams - she's awesome!!

T.

T I always do his massages when he is already lying down and sleepy and I can give him kisses and touch him anywhere. When I clean his face I stand to his side and he sits and lets me do what I need to. He is no longer concerned about the cloth in my hand either. If he is feeling playful he comes to me and we do the touch thing and he looks at me then without a problem. He will often come up to me now for a scratch, nudging me or giving me his paw. I can get him to leash walk if for instance he is outside late at night sniffing around and I want him to come in to bed. He is no problem to catch, I stand to the side, clip him on and he follows me straight in. But if it was just me and him and he wasn't distracted and I was wanting to do something specific with him then he freezes up. It is like a fear of the unknown rather than due to where I position myself, but I agree there are a lot of things I could teach him with me sitting down or more to the side so I will keep that in mind.

I am going to try having all three dogs in the yard this afternoon when it is cooler and do some group training like it is a game. He may just follow what the other two are doing. We were going to do a joint walk yesterday arvo but of course had a massive storm.

Clancy really needs some stimulation/exercise outside the house as well and that is hard until he is ok with the leash as I can't carry him too far!

I'm sure it will just take time and some lamb puffs (which I pick up today!).

:o Thanks T. Most of what I know comes from Peibe anyway.

When Clancy first arrived in care I referred to him as the chook. If you picked him up and put him somewhere you could come back hours later and he would still be frozen in the same spot. I made him sleep in bed with me for the first week with my dogs so he could relax when I was asleep but get to understand I was not a threat.

He is a funny little thing. He got to the point here he would run up behind me and grab the bottoms of my pyjama pants and dak me. He thought it was a great game. He is so playful if he doesn't have you looking at him.

We have a couple of dogs at our rescue who won't make eye contact either - but are completely happy to play with you as long as you aren't looking at them directly... it's kinda weird, but we just go with the flow for those little guys... *grin*

T.

Yesterday I discovered that Clancy likes mud. The carpet and the other dogs, not so much!

Today we had a fabulous training session, aided somewhat by the participation of the other two dogs - he copies a lot of what they do already. So we did look, sit, stay and heel brilliantly - stay and heel far better than my Stussy girl I might add. The first time I got out the leash he got scared and had to be coerced but by the second time I pulled it out he just sat while I clipped it on to just his normal collar. He walked well with it just draped around my neck rather than it dangling before his face (yes he is a total loose lead walker!). Those lamb puffs are the bomb for training! I also desensitised him to the hand brush things I use (the ones they use on horses). If he gets to sniff and inspect things first he seems ok after that. So I am very proud of my little man! Oh and Ams I couldn't stand that old collar on him - I found a new one that I got at an AWL stall that fits nicely so he is sporting that now. The other will get a wash and be kept safe.

So this week, weather permitting, I will desensitise him to the harness and we will keep heel walking around the backyard with the aim of branching off the property next weekend! I so want to take him to our little agility park and over to mum's where I can see how he is with cooks and cats.

Here are some pics from today - he had his eye on those lamb puffs the whole time!

post-33739-0-04552900-1330242551_thumb.jpg