Reporting Kill Ratios For Pounds Who Work With Rescue Groups

Hey everyone. I've been working on the 2011 stats for a couple of pounds, up my way who I work with, & I've have some excellent news to report!

Thanks to all the efforts by the rescue groups, as well as the various staff members of the pounds involved, we have gotten the kill ratio of both Muswellbrook & Wyong pounds, which I'll now happily call shelters (as that's exactly what they are these days), down to a mere 12%! When I started in rescue, a result of 30% was considered impressive, but 12% is just astonishing. It just goes to show what hard work & dedication, from members of the rescue group community, can truly achieve.

Let us compare that with elsewhere shall we?

The RSPCA NSW has a kill ratio of about 51.5% whilst they made $12 million profit last year & were worth $80 million overall (all their published figures BTW). Meanwhile the AWL NSW, who made about $1.5 million in profit, had a respectable 29.9% kill ratio. Kurri pound, even with all the numerous known problems there, had (for 2009-10 year reporting) a kill ratio of 31.4%. About the same as the AWL, with their Get2Zero program, whilst it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Port Stephens pound also hovers about 30%.

Clearly something is wrong with the RSPCA NSW model IMHO, especially in the light that RSPCA VIC, who only made $150 000 last year, had a far more respectable kill ratio of 35.9% than their NSW counterparts.

Hey everyone. I've been working on the 2011 stats for a couple of pounds, up my way who I work with, & I've have some excellent news to report!

Thanks to all the efforts by the rescue groups, as well as the various staff members of the pounds involved, we have gotten the kill ratio of both Muswellbrook & Wyong pounds, which I'll now happily call shelters (as that's exactly what they are these days), down to a mere 12%! When I started in rescue, a result of 30% was considered impressive, but 12% is just astonishing. It just goes to show what hard work & dedication, from members of the rescue group community, can truly achieve.

Good on you for looking at stats. There should be public recognition and praise for 'pound/shelters' like Muswellbrook & Wyong.

How about a letter to the Sydney Morning Herald?

Someone whose knowledge and opinion I trust, commented to me how impressed they were re the conditions and attitudes expressed when they visited Wyong.

So bouquets to the councils that allow the pounds to work to that model, the staff that make it happen and the rescue folk who so willingly take some of the load.

Good on you for looking at stats. There should be public recognition and praise for 'pound/shelters' like Muswellbrook & Wyong.

How about a letter to the Sydney Morning Herald?

Someone whose knowledge and opinion I trust, commented to me how impressed they were re the conditions and attitudes expressed when they visited Wyong.

So bouquets to the councils that allow the pounds to work to that model, the staff that make it happen and the rescue folk who so willingly take some of the load.

Well I wrote a letter yesterday, to the Newcastle Herald, but as usual I've heard nothing back. Mention anything, which looks like criticism of the RSPCA, & they simply won't publish it let alone write an article about it.

Meanwhile, yes top marks to Muswellbrook & Wyong for cooperating with the numerous rescue groups, not to mention those very same rescue groups who have help make such success happen

Well I wrote a letter yesterday, to the Newcastle Herald, but as usual I've heard nothing back. Mention anything, which looks like criticism of the RSPCA, & they simply won't publish it let alone write an article about it.

At this stage, I'd only mention the outstanding performances of Muswellbrook and Wyong 'shelter/pounds'. And suggest this should be the means & standard for all unspecified pounds. It's that benchmark which ought to be got into the public mind.

At this stage, I'd only mention the outstanding performances of Muswellbrook and Wyong 'shelter/pounds'. And suggest this should be the means & standard for all unspecified pounds. It's that benchmark which ought to be got into the public mind.

That's pretty much what I said, with just the RSPCA as comparision. They will not publish anything from me.

Let us compare that with elsewhere shall we?

The RSPCA NSW has a kill ratio of about 51.5% whilst they made $12 million profit last year & were worth $80 million overall (all their published figures BTW). Meanwhile the AWL NSW, who made about $1.5 million in profit, had a respectable 29.9% kill ratio. Kurri pound, even with all the numerous known problems there, had (for 2009-10 year reporting) a kill ratio of 31.4%. About the same as the AWL, with their Get2Zero program, whilst it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Port Stephens pound also hovers about 30%.

Clearly something is wrong with the RSPCA NSW model IMHO, especially in the light that RSPCA VIC, who only made $150 000 last year, had a far more respectable kill ratio of 35.9% than their NSW counterparts.

I wonder if those stats for mbk would be so low without you DMA? Congratulations for all you have achieved.

I wonder if those stats for mbk would be so low without you DMA? Congratulations for all you have achieved.

Thanks for the congrats. I may do the photos & transport, but there's a whole lot of carers out there who have really made the difference IMHO.

[

Thanks for the congrats. I may do the photos & transport, but there's a whole lot of carers out there who have really made the difference IMHO.

There's a Tibbie boy who's very happy that you took his photo. It led to a wonderful new home.

I'm sure there'd be lots of other dogs who'd join him in saying Thank You.

[

There's a Tibbie boy who's very happy that you took his photo. It led to a wonderful new home.

I'm sure there'd be lots of other dogs who'd join him in saying Thank You.

Well give him a big hug from me :hug:

These two pounds sghould be congratulated for making such improvements.Wonderful to hear.

Pity a certain Sydney shelter run by a "charity" wasnt as open or successful .They are clamining to be "getting to zero", but sadly not by rehoming their resident dogs and cats as would be expected by this promotion.Christmas time saw a lot put down, and it only continues to go downhill since.They are not keen to work with rescue on any sort of regular or consistant basis.

I heard a caller on late night radio the other evening extolling the virues of Renbury, at length, and what a wonderful place it was after they had adopted from there, so it shows if people have a good experience at a pound or shelter they will go out in public and speak about it.

Yes DMA there are a whole lot of carers out there who make a massive difference but your photos and transport are part of the whole picture.Your dedication is inspiring.Do you remember the staffy I picked up from you at Freo that had pooed in your car and you were desperately trying to clean him up with tissues when I arrived.You were looking a little green around the gills ;) We had a full load that day heading to the Central Coast.A greyhound,staffy,whippet puppy and a cattle pup.You are a huge part of rescue. :)

Yes DMA there are a whole lot of carers out there who make a massive difference but your photos and transport are part of the whole picture.Your dedication is inspiring.Do you remember the staffy I picked up from you at Freo that had pooed in your car and you were desperately trying to clean him up with tissues when I arrived.You were looking a little green around the gills ;) We had a full load that day heading to the Central Coast.A greyhound,staffy,whippet puppy and a cattle pup.You are a huge part of rescue. :)

Oh if I had a dollar for every dog & pup that's pooped in my van or car I'd be a very rich man... :laugh:

Pity I'm broke :(

Oh if I had a dollar for every dog & pup that's pooped in my van or car I'd be a very rich man... :laugh:

Pity I'm broke :(

But you are rich of heart :) I know doesn't pay the bills though :(

DMA I'd be really interested in the SA Pound rates... I suspect they are horrendous and it's about time they saw the light of day on a national basis.... Makes me ashamed to be South Australian... :(:mad

Sorry I'm not doing the SA pound rates as the NSW ones are heard enoguh to track down. I have, though, done the RSPCA ones & they're far from good. You can easily find them in their animal report on their website. Here are their 2010-11 numbers:

Incoming Cats & Dogs: 8125

Cats & dogs PTS: 3617

PTS ratio: 44.5%

Please note that this is lower than RSPCA NSW but much higher than their Victotian counterparts. RSPCA SA did, though, make an operating loss of just over $300 000 whereas RSPCA NSW made a profit of $12 million.