Very Sad News

I am so sorry for this poor poor lady and her dogs, her heart must be breaking.

It has occurred to me and must have to some of you that tampering is not unheard of. It may or may not be the canned food, that remains to be seen and honestly without a lot more testing and positive results it is difficult to know, is very confusing.

1) Can could have been deliberately tampered with by ????

2) It may not be caused by the canned food at all.

3) The company are at fault but this has to be proven conclusively

If it was the can we will know on national news in a day or so.

Guest Dianne

may the gods be with Tia ~ she has survived to a beautiful age, may she not have it ended in this manner.

To Marilyn ~ our hearts go to you and your beautiful dogs.

Dianne and Tony

What I cannot understand is, if the food was at fault, why havent we heard of a mass outbreak of this? I wold imagine batch runs of a product would be pretty big?

This was one of the things that crossed my mind. It is possible that it is an isolated incident of course but a concern would be, what about the rest of the cans from that case, or that batch lot?

Testing has been carried out on the can and autopsy's on the dogs. From what i have heard it is definate that the canned food was at fault.

Not disputing what you have heard in the least, but heresay is not basis for accusation (and not saying that you are...hard to get this across)

I've seen some rumours spread into serious issues because someone said "as I heard it". I just would hate to have something like this happen and cause undue panic.

We had a recent issue with Lepto here that has caused just that.....half information and a lot of surmising..yes dogs have died, but the issue has been blown totally out of whack here.

Hi,

I have read on another list that the remaining Collie Tia has been taken off the drip. The vets are going to feed her very small amounts of food to see if she can keep it down. Tia being a house dog got far less of the tinned food then the other 7. This information was posted by the owner of these poor Collies. Fingers crossed that Tia pulls through.

regards,

Corine

Guest Tess32
Testing has been carried out on the can and autopsy's on the dogs. From what i have heard it is definate that the canned food was at fault.

Not disputing what you have heard in the least, but heresay is not basis for accusation (and not saying that you are...hard to get this across)

I've seen some rumours spread into serious issues because someone said "as I heard it". I just would hate to have something like this happen and cause undue panic.

We had a recent issue with Lepto here that has caused just that.....half information and a lot of surmising..yes dogs have died, but the issue has been blown totally out of whack here.

She would have heard it from the lady herself - she is on the collie list we all subscribe to.

Nat

AMAZING nothing has been on the radio today or not the ABC has anyone else heard any media about his horible thing!!

I wonder if any vets around the country have had any sudden death cases and not found a link (not knowing what has happened with multiple collies, they may not be looking for food related probs in any cases presented)

So glad one has pulled thru :rolleyes:

If it does prove to be Botulism (which, in canned food is the most likely cause), there will be no way to prove conclusively that it was a manufacturing problem or that any other cans were infected.

The fact that there hasn't been at least State wide reports of deaths or illness suggests that it is likely to be a very tragic, yet isolated incident.

Be aware that if it is a major brand, they will do everything in their power to show that they are not at fault, including blaming human error (once the cans were sold) and they have the money to do so.

I can totally understand why the name hasn't been mentioned as this could open up the path for a massive lawsuit that the company will win.

So pleased the last Collie is starting to do better. I pray she continues to improve.

Could Botulism not be the cause? From memory the dogs bled from their mouths and rectums?

I was under the impression that Botulism takes a few days for animals/humans to show symptoms?

Whatever the end results show, it is still a tragedy. I could not imagine anything being worse regarding our beloved dogs.

Edited by Lablover

Guest Lobo's Cheeky Chops

I'm very sorry to hear about Marilyn's tragic losses. :kissbetter:

Lobo and my heartfelt wishes go out to her and Tia.

Please keep us all informed of how the legal proceedings go

i'm gonna be well careful of canned food from now on - how scary !

forewarned is forearmed !!