Rant From A P*ssed Off Show Secretary

Rebanne

I am so over the incorrect entries received from people who should know better. One entry form for two different shows, oversize entry forms, tiny little envelopes, incorrect monies, no class entered, no breed on the entry form, etc and these are all from people who should know so much better including people who are show sectretaries themselves. And the ones who don't return the phone calls made when I try to fix up their mistakes :mad :mad :mad

And people wonder why show secretaries can get crabby!!!!

I don't have a beef with the newbies, go out of my way to help them, but these others, I am over it!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so over the incorrect entries received from people who should know better. One entry form for two different shows, oversize entry forms, tiny little envelopes, incorrect monies, no class entered, no breed on the entry form, etc and these are all from people who should know so much better including people who are show sectretaries themselves. And the ones who don't return the phone calls made when I try to fix up their mistakes :mad :mad :mad

And people wonder why show secretaries can get crabby!!!!

I don't have a beef with the newbies, go out of my way to help them, but these others, I am over it!

Hi,

When I did this job......I kept the oringinal entry and I returned a photocopy of the entry in the SSAE with a note saying.....I have tried to ring, I have left messages.......please correct your entry, money etc and send a new SSAE otherwise your entry will be rejected.......I usually got a phone straigt away....LOL

Hi,

When I did this job......I kept the oringinal entry and I returned a photocopy of the entry in the SSAE with a note saying.....I have tried to ring, I have left messages.......please correct your entry, money etc and send a new SSAE otherwise your entry will be rejected.......I usually got a phone straigt away....LOL

well one doesn't even have any entry forms, just a return envelope and the money. Tracked them down via the phone book and 2nd message just left. That one is going back next week.

The message for another one is ring me back or your dog will not be entered. That will be going back as well unless I hear from them prior.

If no class is put down (or incorrect for age) isn't the dog automatically in Open whether the owner likes it or not?

It isn't that hard to fill out entry forms though... however I have managed to forget to sign the cheque I put in :o

I've forgotten to sign a cheque as well, once, when I was very new , and a bit anxious trying to get it all right. Everybody makes mistakes but these are experienced people who just can't be bothered and are too lazy to do things correctly. Some don't even put the full breed name in. If they can't be bothered to do that they are not going to bother putting what day or club they would like to show at. This lot is much worse then last years.

Sadly I forget to sign cheques a lot :o - I write out a lot of cheques at work and someone else signs them, so it's just become habit to write a cheque and not sign it. Started a new job 2 weeks ago where I won't be writing cheques, so hopefully I'll be able to retrain myself :D

Edited by Sandra777

I feel your pain and frustration. I had one year where I was tearing my hair out and really wondered about the mental state of some showies. The mistakes were so stupid, and some people were down right rude when I tried to help them correct their entries.

But I sucked it up, stayed with it, and the following year was so much better, hardly any mistakes.

I've forgotten to sign a cheque as well, once, when I was very new , and a bit anxious trying to get it all right.

I think I made less mistakes when I was new... it was only last year I forgot to sign the cheque so I am assuming after 9 years of agility and showing I have lost the new status :o

But laziness is unforgivable ;) I have lots of copies of my dogs' entry forms all filled out (yay for computers and photocopiers :laugh: ) except for show and class details and signature :) Simple as to pull the appropriate dog's form out :)

Good lord you scared me - thought I'd missed the entries !!! Doing them now :).

I have all our entries on the computer - the only handwriting is my signature, so easy. When we first got her, I nearly entered our Brittany baby as a Dobermann for her first show as I have my template set up for dobes - lucky I noticed before I sent it :rofl: .

I'm a newbie at showing & have forgotten to sign a check, & address the check to the correct club but thankfully the secretary contacted me via phone & mail & I amended straight away. I have learnt to double check everything now & thankyou to that secretary for being so patient with me. :)

I've forgotten to sign a cheque as well, once, when I was very new , and a bit anxious trying to get it all right. Everybody makes mistakes but these are experienced people who just can't be bothered and are too lazy to do things correctly. Some don't even put the full breed name in. If they can't be bothered to do that they are not going to bother putting what day or club they would like to show at.

This lot is much worse then last years.

Hug! Well as a sorta newbie/returning victim - here is a big thank you for battling thru'.

Meea

The solution is simple.

Incorrect entries from people that should know better should be returned and if they miss the close of entries because of their mistake so be it. Try an enter a Sydney show with an incorrect entry!

Also I often read in the Gazette that Show Secretaries are required to reject incorrect entries.

But I do think Newbies should be given the benefit of doubt and helped out where possible.

I feel your pain. Here is a doozie, this year I recieved an entry from an experienced exhibitor. I do the catalogue as well so when I was cutting and pasting I realised that 2 dogs had the same registration number. How did I know this, because it was the same the previous year and was never corrected because the people where travelling and so one number appeared in the catalogue as XXXXXXXXXXXX?

So these dogs have been exhibited for a year with the same number and no-one had picked it up.

The solution is simple.

Incorrect entries from people that should know better should be returned and if they miss the close of entries because of their mistake so be it. Try an enter a Sydney show with an incorrect entry!

Also I often read in the Gazette that Show Secretaries are required to reject incorrect entries.

But I do think Newbies should be given the benefit of doubt and helped out where possible.

The reality is if you rejected the incorrect entries you would lose alot of money & clubs can not afford to do this.

In the end we would simply slot the entries as is,if no class listed it was entered in the age class as required now ,years ago there was no open but to place in open.males listed as females etc & when the people cam to the office ready to abuse the entry was there ready to show whose fault it was .

We found in the end the less you chased them & they learnt a lesson the better & yes we would add phone charges if we had to ring due to there mistakes

Good lord you scared me - thought I'd missed the entries !!! Doing them now :).

I have all our entries on the computer - the only handwriting is my signature, so easy. When we first got her, I nearly entered our Brittany baby as a Dobermann for her first show as I have my template set up for dobes - lucky I noticed before I sent it :rofl: .

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: BD that isa cracker.

:nahnah: Done my entries already. ;) ;)

I am new. The only mistake I have made so far is the first time I used the template from Dogsvictoria I didn't cut it down around the edges, I received a note telling me to do this on the back of my envelope. It is a pity that there isn't a note on D.Vic explaining this. Also I have found there are many little quirky things that we are expected to know, and no one comes forth explaining these. If it wasn't for Lea Cogley and her 'Thursday night ' shows class I would have given up soon after I started with frustration. It's also a pity I stumbled across her class by mistake, I am sure there are plenty of people out there would gain a lot of confidence from attended a few of those classes before they first go to a show!

Perhaps even a induction, on 1. Filling out an entry. 2. Responsibilities on show etc would/ should be held before you are allowed to go to a show?

I am new. The only mistake I have made so far is the first time I used the template from Dogsvictoria I didn't cut it down around the edges, I received a note telling me to do this on the back of my envelope. It is a pity that there isn't a note on D.Vic explaining this. Also I have found there are many little quirky things that we are expected to know, and no one comes forth explaining these. If it wasn't for Lea Cogley and her 'Thursday night ' shows class I would have given up soon after I started with frustration. It's also a pity I stumbled across her class by mistake, I am sure there are plenty of people out there would gain a lot of confidence from attended a few of those classes before they first go to a show!

Perhaps even a induction, on 1. Filling out an entry. 2. Responsibilities on show etc would/ should be held before you are allowed to go to a show?