Desexing Contracts

weasel

Hello Guys

I'm starting this topic to clear some things up about "desexing contracts" and its mainly directed towards any breeders out there and I'd appreciate your personal opinion on the matter.

I've been looking into getting a dog soon after not owning one for several years and I have never acquired one from a pedigree breeder. It seems most breeders of the particular breed I'm after usually specify "desexing contracts" when the dog is purchased.

I'm not personally interested in breeding myself at all and if I got a female I wouldn't have a problem abiding to the "desexing contract" but if I was to get a male I wouldn't agree to cutting off his man hood for my own personal reasons.(sorry if any one finds this sexist ;)

I'd like to know

- do breeders want there pups to be desexed so they personally can have a better / more lucrative position in the market?

- is it because they personally want to keep the breeds gene pool free of problems or some thing of that nature?

-???

I could handle a male dog getting vasectomy but, as breeders would any of you guys be happy with that or be willing to pay the difference if significant?

Im also pretty sure that a desexing contract isn't going to get a start in court especially seeing how my dog would only be for companionship BUT

I personally would never deceive a breeder to acquire a dog with out holding up to my end of the contract.

Thanks for your feedback

Weasel :-)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A desexing contract is usually put in place to stop indescriminate breeding with the dog :) It is usually done by breeders who are not willing to desex at 7-8 weeks prior to the pup going to their new home.

Most breeders would be willing to "negotiate" if you had a legitimate reason for wanting to keep a dog entire - ie giving the dog longer to mature.

Personally though even my show dogs get desexed once they have retired :)

A desexing contract is usually put in place to stop indescriminate breeding with the dog :) It is usually done by breeders who are not willing to desex at 7-8 weeks prior to the pup going to their new home.

Most breeders would be willing to "negotiate" if you had a legitimate reason for wanting to keep a dog entire - ie giving the dog longer to mature.

Personally though even my show dogs get desexed once they have retired :)

I hear what your saying but it concerns me that no breeder will sell me a pup if i admit that id prefer a male and im anti desexing unless its required

for health reasons or temperament issues. This is an issue because there are only several breeders of this breed in Australia...

Vasectomies are only about $50 more, so I'd look at doing that instead. Keeps you happy, keeps dog healthy, should keep breeder happy.

Most breeders have a desexing contract because they are concerned that their breed may be 'misbred' - they don't want their animals to be involved in backyard breeding or puppy mill breeding.

Maybe you should get involved in showing so you have a legitimate reason to keep his balls on. :thumbsup:

It is usually done by breeders who are not willing to desex at 7-8 weeks prior to the pup going to their new home.

I thought you couldn't get a dog desexed under the age of 6 months? this is what our vet has said?

I got my bitch done at 1.5years, the male rescue was done asap and he is 4, the new rescue needs to be done but we are in a couple weeks.

A contract will stand up in court if done correctly & we will take any of our buyers to court if they don't abide by what they sign & agree to prior to purchase .

We don't do it for temp issues as it has no bearing but we no longer trust average joe not to do right with our pups no matter how good an owner they are.

We havea breed highly sort after by puppy mills & DD breeders & exporters .

Many breeders within our breed have been caught out by shonky people.

Many of our pet people have commented on being approached for stud duties & sadly some people see the easy $$$ with no thought about what they are producing & taking short cuts .

We may consider a vasectomy but will not budge on spaying & to be honest the one reason we hear is the "man hood " excuse which is purely to make the owners feel good not the dog .

Funny thing is the ones who want the dogs manhood to stay are the ones who make the gross comments when we ask them how often they will inspect there dogs manhood & feel for abnormalities .

As dog groomers we check any entire dog we groom & often have to inform owners of changes or suspicious issues because they don't check ,we also check spayed animals for any lumps & bumps bitches nipples etc etc its normal practise with our own dogs .

As far as cost go that would be yours , we refund a set amount & have an age it must be done by unless there is an issue we have been informed about ,we don't do them prior to leaving as yet & have a 100% success rate but we would have no qualms spaying prior to leaving .

So costs would come down to what your vet charges .All you can do is ask the breeders but generally those who don't want to spay generally send alarmed bells off also i believe a reversal can be attempted no guarantees

I hear what your saying but it concerns me that no breeder will sell me a pup if i admit that id prefer a male and im anti desexing unless its required

for health reasons or temperament issues. This is an issue because there are only several breeders of this breed in Australia...

Do your own thing and import the dog you want, without any of the control attempts that Australian breeders want you to accept.

When I was looking for my first dog, having to desex the dog was not a requirement. Personally I would not accept or tolerate being told what is best for my dog ... and I am not going to be a hypocrite and demand from other people what I do not demand or agree with for myself.

Even with my own puppy buyers, no matter what the topic or what I urge them to do, I always say: at the end of the day it is your dog and you must decide what is best.

I have a desex rebate, but if I did not think the home had a brain and were worthy of the pup ... they would not be one of my puppy homes to begin with.

Edited by lilli

Hello Guys

I'm starting this topic to clear some things up about "desexing contracts" and its mainly directed towards any breeders out there and I'd appreciate your personal opinion on the matter.

I've been looking into getting a dog soon after not owning one for several years and I have never acquired one from a pedigree breeder. It seems most breeders of the particular breed I'm after usually specify "desexing contracts" when the dog is purchased.

I'm not personally interested in breeding myself at all and if I got a female I wouldn't have a problem abiding to the "desexing contract" but if I was to get a male I wouldn't agree to cutting off his man hood for my own personal reasons.(sorry if any one finds this sexist ;)

I'd like to know

- do breeders want there pups to be desexed so they personally can have a better / more lucrative position in the market?

- is it because they personally want to keep the breeds gene pool free of problems or some thing of that nature?

-???

I could handle a male dog getting vasectomy but, as breeders would any of you guys be happy with that or be willing to pay the difference if significant?

Im also pretty sure that a desexing contract isn't going to get a start in court especially seeing how my dog would only be for companionship BUT

I personally would never deceive a breeder to acquire a dog with out holding up to my end of the contract.

Thanks for your feedback

Weasel :-)

A desexing contract would hold up in court and you would lose if you bought a dog and then defiantly decided against it even it if is for your own personal reasons.

No breeder specifies desexing to hold thier market position. Instead they are protecting years and years of hard work perfecting thier lines. They do not want you to breed your dogs to anyone or anything and do not feel comfortable with desexing before the pup leaves thier home at eight weeks.

I understand that your anti -desexing (no idea why but uh um) but you have to see it from the breeder's perspective as well. They have spent years carefully choosing thier dams and sires (parents), testing for and eliminating herditary diseases, selecting the best puppies from litters to breed from, in some cases importing dogs to improve on thier breeding, and paying good hard earned money on sires from dogs that don't belong to them. All of this takes time, money and above all love. They see thier dogs as most see thier children, and thier art is to perfect on thier dogs strengths and eliminate weaknesses. Thier prefix is thier name, and that name symbolises what there dogs are, so to protect thier lines, and thier name, and the breed that they have so carefully cultivated over what may be a lifetime, they ask that the puppies that they don't sell on Main register (which means BREEDING OR SHOW QUALITY) they ask that all the rest be desexed. That way no one can breed from them, and introduce faults, and inheritable diseases. this not only protects the breeder but it also protects THE BREED. After all your attracted to a certain breed for a particular reason. if the breed is not protected from uneducated and indiscriminate breeding it will become unrecognisable, something i believe that you would respect seeing you are considering buying a pedigree dog.

I have only just got my prefix but I will tell you that I would not consider backing down from my desexing contracts. There are reasons that dogs are sold on limited and that I because they are not considered a good enough example of the breed standard. If you want to get a vasectomy that is your choice, and I would make you wear the cost for that decision. Desexing is a safe, routine procedure that has multiple health and emotional benefits to the dogs, no matter what sex. I would have no trouble with taking someone to court if I found that someone had breeched the contract and bred from a dog that I considered below that quality. And I know people always say that they would never do that, but so far in my breeding experience I personally know of numerous cases of people who have bought dogs on limited and then tried to and or sucessfully bred the dogs that were meant to be desexed. Not only that, they then tried to pass the puppies off as purebreds, and in one case even challenged the breeder to have them registered as such. I find it abhorrent that such things happen. And I know there are always those that say 'she/he doesn't go anywhere/ there's no way they could do it/ i don't walk my dog when in season, etc, etc, but it would keep me up at night if I knew that an accident, no matter how innocent resulted in a litter of unwanted puppies (pure bred, or cross-bred).

Please don't decieve the breeder - be upfront and see what happens, but don't lie your way out of it.

A desexing contract would hold up in court and you would lose if you bought a dog and then defiantly decided against it even it if is for your own personal reasons.

No breeder specifies desexing to hold thier market position. Instead they are protecting years and years of hard work perfecting thier lines. They do not want you to breed your dogs to anyone or anything and do not feel comfortable with desexing before the pup leaves thier home at eight weeks.

I understand that your anti -desexing (no idea why but uh um) but you have to see it from the breeder's perspective as well. They have spent years carefully choosing thier dams and sires (parents), testing for and eliminating herditary diseases, selecting the best puppies from litters to breed from, in some cases importing dogs to improve on thier breeding, and paying good hard earned money on sires from dogs that don't belong to them. All of this takes time, money and above all love. They see thier dogs as most see thier children, and thier art is to perfect on thier dogs strengths and eliminate weaknesses. Thier prefix is thier name, and that name symbolises what there dogs are, so to protect thier lines, and thier name, and the breed that they have so carefully cultivated over what may be a lifetime, they ask that the puppies that they don't sell on Main register (which means BREEDING OR SHOW QUALITY) they ask that all the rest be desexed. That way no one can breed from them, and introduce faults, and inheritable diseases. this not only protects the breeder but it also protects THE BREED. After all your attracted to a certain breed for a particular reason. if the breed is not protected from uneducated and indiscriminate breeding it will become unrecognisable, something i believe that you would respect seeing you are considering buying a pedigree dog.

I have only just got my prefix but I will tell you that I would not consider backing down from my desexing contracts. There are reasons that dogs are sold on limited and that I because they are not considered a good enough example of the breed standard. If you want to get a vasectomy that is your choice, and I would make you wear the cost for that decision. Desexing is a safe, routine procedure that has multiple health and emotional benefits to the dogs, no matter what sex. I would have no trouble with taking someone to court if I found that someone had breeched the contract and bred from a dog that I considered below that quality. And I know people always say that they would never do that, but so far in my breeding experience I personally know of numerous cases of people who have bought dogs on limited and then tried to and or sucessfully bred the dogs that were meant to be desexed. Not only that, they then tried to pass the puppies off as purebreds, and in one case even challenged the breeder to have them registered as such. I find it abhorrent that such things happen. And I know there are always those that say 'she/he doesn't go anywhere/ there's no way they could do it/ i don't walk my dog when in season, etc, etc, but it would keep me up at night if I knew that an accident, no matter how innocent resulted in a litter of unwanted puppies (pure bred, or cross-bred).

Please don't decieve the breeder - be upfront and see what happens, but don't lie your way out of it.

How will breeding from a Limited Reg dog effect the legacy of a prefix

Or introduce defects to the pedigree Main Reg gene pool?

Limited Reg are pups that go to homes who do not intend to show or breed. Limited Reg does not nec. mean that puppy is not of show / breed potential.

Re the bolded text above:

you may want to consider why most of the world dont follow this desex fervor.

I always get my dogs desexed as soon as the vet deems them old enough to do so. I've never had a desexing contract with a pup's breeder before, but if in the future that is part of buying a pup then of course I would [as I already do]. I prefer to desex as I'd never forgive myself to an accidental mating...they're not my lines to play around with.

In all honesty the males have not changed in the slightest in temp or growth being desexed at 6 months.

With talk of vasectomies, it makes me wonder if there's still a chance of getting testicular cancer/prostate cancer in dogs having this procedure done?

Limited Reg are pups that go to homes who do not intend to show or breed. Limited Reg does not nec. mean that puppy is not of show / breed potential.

I was going to highlight exactly the same sentence. Desexing is routine yes........ safe- well not really no GA is considered safe. Also what are the emotional benefits to the dog- I assume you are anthropomorphising as much as the OP on that one.

My pups will go out on a desexing contract but that wont mean that I dont talk to the owner. If they can give me a valid reason to not have the procedure and they understand that the dog is not to be bred from then I cant see why a responsible owner cant keep an entire animal. I mean I have for the past 6yrs so why cant someone else?? If I didnt think the owner were responsible enough to do this they wouldnt be getting one of my pups!

ETA having an entire male dog does mean they need all the relevant health checks done regularly. I desex bitches after maturity because pyo is scary!

Edited by Jumabaar

With talk of vasectomies, it makes me wonder if there's still a chance of getting testicular cancer/prostate cancer in dogs having this procedure done?

If the dog still has testicles of course there's still a chance of it getting testicular cancer - why would you think otherwise :confused: But you really have to consider the risks of the dog getting testicular cancer to start with - which depends very much on breed and the line within the breed (as well as bad luck of course) and it may be so close to zero in some dogs that castration to prevent testicular cancer is just nonsense. In other dogs of course this may be different.

As for prostrate cancer - there is quite a lot of evidence out there now that castrated dogs have a greater chance of getting prostrate cancer than entire dogs - but again this really has to depend on what the risk was like originally, and obviously with more castrated dogs around perhaps this skews the results? I don't know.

I fully support Lilli on her comments. I never insist that any dog I sell has to be desexed and most are sold on main register unless they have a glaring fault that should not be bred with in which case it goes on LR and desexing after 12 months is advised. New owners are rigourously screened and part of the deal is that they must maintain contact, like Lilli I believe this is a decison for the owner and if they have proved to be responsible owners why should they be made to have their dog desexed.

I can see many breeds being desexed out of existence with this idea that everything has to be desexed, okay for pounds, rescues etc but I think breeders need to think very carefully about how their actions are affecting the future of their breed overall

Could you please explain how you would lose your dog if taken to court?

As far as I know, dogs are considered property in the eyes of the law? Which means unless they are on part-ownership you can pretty much do what you like with them (except cruelty or welfare related issues)?

I can see many breeds being desexed out of existence with this idea that everything has to be desexed, okay for pounds, rescues etc but I think breeders need to think very carefully about how their actions are affecting the future of their breed overall

I do think very carefully about my actions & as such our pups will not be part of BYB /DD or the export market ,we have no issues supporting people who wish to breed in an ethical manner & do the right things by the breed,Given 95% of breeding inquiries are from people who want a 1 off litter,maybe breed or cross with there oodle then i am quite happy to deal with that.

Our breed is one of the most sort after for puppy farmers ,pet shops & the likes .The breed has health issues that these people don't care about .

As an ethical breeder it is my responsibility to ensure what i sell is tested & placed into a good home & yes even the best of homes can decide to breed & it happens .

When people wish to simply have litters for the pet market without any thought & don't health test & the breed then suffers a bad rep then who do you blame ??

The finger gets pointed to the breeders that sold them the stock ,dammed if you dammed if you don't but i can sleep well at night knowing our pups aren't in breeding farms or a BYB money spinner without any thought to what they are selling to the next generation of buyers .

Maybe for those with breeds not highly sort after for breeding means its hard for them to understand & with new orgs that support registered cross breeds/breeding it will only get worse .

I was going to highlight exactly the same sentence. Desexing is routine yes........ safe- well not really no GA is considered safe. Also what are the emotional benefits to the dog- I assume you are anthropomorphising as much as the OP on that one.

My pups will go out on a desexing contract but that wont mean that I dont talk to the owner. If they can give me a valid reason to not have the procedure and they understand that the dog is not to be bred from then I cant see why a responsible owner cant keep an entire animal. I mean I have for the past 6yrs so why cant someone else?? If I didnt think the owner were responsible enough to do this they wouldnt be getting one of my pups!

ETA having an entire male dog does mean they need all the relevant health checks done regularly. I desex bitches after maturity because pyo is scary!

You are right limited register does not mean that the dog is not of show/breed potential, however, for whatever reason the breeder does not want you to show/breed and as it is THERE dogs you are buying, and have years of experience with, what gives you the right to go in and change that. And no one wants a dog they have sold to you as a limited dog going and being bred, it affects thier name and thier lines in the following ways:

You breed your dog, you don't know why the breeder has not put it into the show ring, or want it bred from but you decide to anyway. You then use the dogs prefix in selling the pups, because after all that is the mothers name on the limited papers, and you get more money if you pass them off as purebreed. After all, you did not pay the money that would of secured you a purebreed dog, you paid the LIMITED price, but hey, you paid your money and went to the trouble of getting a pure breed. Then it gets around that the breeder is selling puppies that are not up to standard and then people are breeding from them. The show world is very small, everyone knows pretty much everyone, it doesn't take long to get around. And I didn't say it affected the main reg pool - I SAID IT AFFECTED THE BREED AS A WHOLE. And it does. Breeding dogs that are not deemed quality enough to put onto main is breeding inferior dogs, and I don't care what way you put it. If you decide to breed with a dog of another breed, or an accident with the neighbourhood dog occurs you are then adding to the cross-breed population.

Secondly, I know that anthromorphising is the buzz word at the moment, but that is not what I am doing at all. Desexing has clear health benefits, as you point out for females because as you say pyro is scary, so is uterine infections, etc,etc, and in males so is prostate cancer! The emotional issues I was referring to is reduced aggression, reduced sexual drive, and the reduced need to pee on everything, and scratching your fence down to get to bitches in season. I have nothing against your opinion on desexing I was just giving my personal feelings, which after all is what this forum is meant to be about.

The emotional issues I was referring to is reduced aggression, reduced sexual drive, and the reduced need to pee on everything, and scratching your fence down to get to bitches in season

I have an entire male that has no issues with any of that. He is right next to his bitch in season and in the house. He is well trained and knows many of those things are not tolerated so doesn't do them.

I recently had to give my dog the Suprelorin implant for medical reasons. I have to say if that is what he is like desexed then it will not happen in his lifetime unless he has a medical issue that deams it necessary. HE was difficult to train as he had no resilience and after treading on his foot by accident suring agility it took me 8 weeks of hard work to get him back out there and jumping as he wouldn't come near me. POst the implant wearing off the same thing happened (he decided to go in the opposite direction to where he was send) and he was over it and back out there in 5 minutes.

He was way too soft, even more sooky than normal - he is very sooky anyway! - and it was overall very frustrating. His breeder suggested it may be the implant and she was right. It wore off and he is back to his normal self, confident outgoing and a complete joy to train - even if things don't go right.

I personally ask the average owner to sign a desexing contract but am willing to talk about whys and wherefores. I ahev had one want a bitch, undesexed already owns an unrego'd male and couldn't give me any good reasons why they wanted to leave her entire other than they just wanted to. So for them nope sorry. Another person said they were happy to desex, but after 12 months and said why - no worries.

Personally my bitches are desexed after they retire or are too old to be breed from. I have had a bitch with pyo and it is rather nasty so one the bits are no longer required they will be gone. Even if a bitch was not to be bred from I would leave her entire until 3 years at least. The males will be kept entire for reasons alreeady stated

I didnt bother with desexing contracts simply because the general consensus is they will not hold up in court, not to mention I do not have the money to take people to court all the time. Having a desexing contract was no guarantee the new owner wouldnt breed anyway. I place my pet puppies on limited register but again that doesnt stop people from breeding just stops them from being registered. I go through the trading post, petlink, gumtree etc and see all the adds for puppies either crossbred or "parents have papers" "from champion bloodlines". My breed is attractive to feral rednecks, people who want to breed piggin dogs, my breed may one day succumb to BSL and I have decided the dogs I breed will not be any part of that. So the boys have vasectomies and the girls have tubal ligations (I am also happy to fully spay or neuter if the new owners want to, knowing all info).

You can sell to the most wonderful people on earth but it only takes one thought or a suggestion from someone else (even vets suggest it!) that they should breed their dog, or they have a friend with a dog and theyd make cute puppies etc or they can no longer keep their dog and dont contact me but sell it on to someone else who then decides to go on and breed it. Not happening with my dogsd, my lines. I dont spend all the money and time and energy in the world breeding and raising pups only to have them go and contribute to the overpopulation of crossbred dogs out there, whilst lining the pockets of their owners.

I understand there maybe genuine responsible people out there where this would not happen, but Im not going to take that chance because I honestly believe they are the minority and it would kill me to know one of my dogs was being used as a breeding machine.

I also want to preserve the breed. I mainly place pups on limited register becasue they dont fit the ideal. There are no perfect dogs of any breed, but the more people breed with sub standard dogs the more the general public thinks that what they are supposed to look like, if that makes sense. For basic example I have bred a few dogs that have had no mask on their muzzle,I dont want people breeding from these, creating more dogs with no mask etc, so they are sterilised and on limit reg.

SO they are the reasons I sterilise. I also sold a show puppy on main reg, a puppy I was going to keep to a newbie couple that signed a contract that they will show him to his title. They live 15minutes from KCC park. He was shown twice as a baby thats it. Because of that I will now never sell a show puppy to an inexperienced person. I will only consider people who have proven themselves in the ring. This is what happens, you trust people and they let you down, Im not going to go and continue trusting people to do the right thing by me, no matter how wonderful they sound.

Edited by Kaffy Magee