Where Is Your Dog?

Staff'n'Toller

150 members have voted

1. 1. What's your dog's access when you're not there?

• Free yard access
    • Dog run/part yard access
    • Free yard + house
    • Run/part yard + house
    • In the house only
    • In a comfy crate in the house

I wonder this a lot..to myself. :laugh:

Why, do you ask? Well, my previous three dogs (only one is still alive now) did nothing more than bark a bit and dig some holes in the early years. Otherwise they were quite happy in the yard with restricted house access.

The Toller however, is a bit loopy, barks at stupid pigeons, the kids in the kindergarten next door (admittedly it seems like they get more unruly and the supervision LESS every year) takes running leaps at the fences and boundary runs/flushes invisible birdies.

Soooo...we love him and it's ok here, as there is someone at home all the time but in the near future this may change, I just wondered what others do when at work/uni etc etc. :D

ETA: Let me know if I've missed an answer.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My guys have full yard and part of the house access at all times, but get locked inside at night. I am going to split the yard into two again though so i can fence off the pup so the 'oldies' can have time out.

It varies. Mine used to be all outside when I wasn't home until I moved and I think the move unsettled them so they started barking a bit.

With 3-4 dogs staying here at any one time and a really good house set up - i found it a really easy transition and sooo much better for me and the dogs to keep them inside.

we have a rotating roster :laugh:. I vary whether they spend time inside during the day, outside or spend time in their crate (eg: when one is in season) or together outside.

Barking seems to have subsided and the dogs seem to be really settled too. A bit more work on my part in the sense that if I'm going straight out after work, I'll come home at lunch to let them out for a wee-stop. But other than that, they are pretty good at holding on for the 10hrs I'm gone and seem to really enjoy spending that time inside :p

I think your only other option is doggy daycare, dog sitter or left with friends or relatives. I've met a few people that always leave their dog/s with their relatives when they are out or at work. They usually do this for their own stress rather than the dog's though :D

MIne are in the dog/runs dog yard which is fenced and equiped with toys especially just for them :) When Rommi is in season she is locked into the dog run and Lewis has run and yard, but other than that they have access to both dog runs and the yard.

post-23623-0-30134300-1329911140_thumb.jpg

Part yard, part house. Part of our yard is blocked off and hubby is gradually turning it into what will be a play area for bubs. Inside we just close the bedroom doors.

The toller spends most of the day lying on her back with her legs in the air watching the world go by upside down.

I do have moments where I wonder how bright that dog is..... ;) :laugh:

Doof just sleeps and follows me around, getting under my feet constantly! We put in the dog door cos of his barking and it stopped immediately

If Zarly isn't trying to break into the house they have free access to the backyard.

I cannot leave my back glass door wide open with the screen door locked.. I have to have both closed, SHE WILL open the unlocked door and give her and the other two full access to the inside of the house!

The new boy isn't house trained.. so he was marking his territory all up my chairs and lounge! :mad

Oh well, all clean now and lesson learnt, 3 times. :o

Thanks for the replies, I find it interesting to see how people manage their dogs.

I don't have a problem at the moment per se - the barking is controlled, our fences are extended, I have no complaints from neighbours - we are very 'on it' as far as what he is doing in the yard during the day and my two are locked inside at night.

I think he will need more management if I move though, similar to what you do LP. And if there are two of his kind with me in the future well even more reason. :rofl:

The toller spends most of the day lying on her back with her legs in the air watching the world go by upside down.

I think if he had more house access he would be doing the same, it's just that he has a rather good sized yard with well established trees and well established birds. ;)

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

My little man has a little run we made up on the deck also has his crate in there, when I am home from work he has the yard but he only stays down there if we are there, sometimes I sneak away when he has a bone but he soon realises :-) He comes inside at night when kids are in bed and we cuddle, quiet time before he goes back out to bed..

Mine have free run of both the house and yard - no air conditioning though :laugh:

They are trustworthy except I know they sleep on my bed while I'm out. I don't allow them on beds or furniture and they would never do it while I'm home

Tempe has the upstairs ensuite as she is 4 months old and I don't trust her to have range of part of the house yet and some of the yard.

The two boys have a fenced off part of the yard and have access to the kitchen, tv room and lounge room. I dont allow them the whole yard as the dogs on either side bark their heads off at my guys all day even though they are oblivious and dont respond

Outside all the time anyway ( except my old dally who comes in at night).

They have free run of the garden and garage, which has a big ceiling fan just for them, and couch, and my hair salon runs off it, so if its really hot i leave the door open and they lay there with the air on. :)