Sudden Crate Reluctance

Puppybella

Hey peeps,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why my 13 month old girl has developed a severe aversion to her crate in the last few weeks? She was crate-trained from the start and had no problems. In winter she would happily go and snuggle in there before we 'put her to bed' but hasn't done that for a while.

Until a couple of weeks ago she was fine with being put to bed. She's 'up' (but able to sleep in her day bed) with us until we go to bed around 11 or 12, but for the last couple of weeks she has done everything within her power not to be put to bed. She knows the routine of the last toilet trip and the usual bedtime preparation, and she'll escape to the furthest corner of the house, and when I'm actually putting her in the crate (because she sure isn't going in there of her own accord at the moment) she puts up at almighty fuss and tries to scramble out.

Also, she's started waking up really early (4-5ish) in the morning and barking (not necessarily for the toilet) which is rather irritating, I know that she can get to 8 am (on a late day) easily. This is the exact opposite of a 3-month phase she went through from 9 to 12 months, where she barked (for no other reason than play) after putting her to bed (worst at full moon, I posted about this at the time, but not sure how to link the thread). Thankfully (touch wood) that stopped at about 12 months, she was completely quiet for a few weeks, and now she's barking in the morning!

So I'd be grateful for any ideas about her reluctance? Is this a stage she's grow out of? I can't think of anything in her routine that has changed: same diet, same exercise, nothing seems to be correlated with the weather/temperatre, and she doesn't get crated for any prolonged time during the day (max of a few hours a few times a week).

Cheers!

Hey peeps,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why my 13 month old girl has developed a severe aversion to her crate in the last few weeks? She was crate-trained from the start and had no problems. In winter she would happily go and snuggle in there before we 'put her to bed' but hasn't done that for a while.

Until a couple of weeks ago she was fine with being put to bed. She's 'up' (but able to sleep in her day bed) with us until we go to bed around 11 or 12, but for the last couple of weeks she has done everything within her power not to be put to bed. She knows the routine of the last toilet trip and the usual bedtime preparation, and she'll escape to the furthest corner of the house, and when I'm actually putting her in the crate (because she sure isn't going in there of her own accord at the moment) she puts up at almighty fuss and tries to scramble out.

Also, she's started waking up really early (4-5ish) in the morning and barking (not necessarily for the toilet) which is rather irritating, I know that she can get to 8 am (on a late day) easily. This is the exact opposite of a 3-month phase she went through from 9 to 12 months, where she barked (for no other reason than play) after putting her to bed (worst at full moon, I posted about this at the time, but not sure how to link the thread). Thankfully (touch wood) that stopped at about 12 months, she was completely quiet for a few weeks, and now she's barking in the morning!

So I'd be grateful for any ideas about her reluctance? Is this a stage she's grow out of? I can't think of anything in her routine that has changed: same diet, same exercise, nothing seems to be correlated with the weather/temperatre, and she doesn't get crated for any prolonged time during the day (max of a few hours a few times a week).

Cheers!

Where is her crate set up? are there any noises that could be scaring her?

Also, try re-introcuing the crate.... some treats leading up to it, play around the crate... maybe she has had a scare during the night...thats the only real thing I can think of.. or if it is too hot in there? too small?.... very sure the more experienced people on DOL can give you more ideas... poor darling hope everything goes back to normal soon.

Her crate is set up in the main living area, where kitchen/dining/tv room is, which is downstairs. I suppose it's possible something scared her, now in summer the glass door is open so it's a little noisier, but it's been like that for months already. I don't think it could be the heat, there have been much warmer days on which she was fine, and it hasn't been too bad lately. I had actually thought about too small crate, but it's a good size and really there is ample room to curl up and sleep comfortably straight/on her back (she is a dachshund so a super just-woke-up stretch might have to be done without space for the tail!) and she's been this size for a while now without issues.

I suppose I'll just give it a go with more positive association with the crate durung the day and see what happens!

My first thought on reading this, maybe she was bitten by a spider, so now associates the crate with that? Try placing the crate in a different spot, perhaps where she can see you all the time.

Yes the same as Cheekymonster said, maybe she has had a bad experience/fright whilst in the crate. Not sure about a spider bite, didn't notice anything like that, but maybe I wouldn't anyway. Unfortunately putting the crate in a bedroom isn't an option, but I might try it in a different spot (although I sometimes think this might further disrupt her?)

My first thought on reading this, maybe she was bitten by a spider, so now associates the crate with that? Try placing the crate in a different spot, perhaps where she can see you all the time.

Yes the same as Cheekymonster said, maybe she has had a bad experience/fright whilst in the crate. Not sure about a spider bite, didn't notice anything like that, but maybe I wouldn't anyway. Unfortunately putting the crate in a bedroom isn't an option, but I might try it in a different spot (although I sometimes think this might further disrupt her?)

Maybe try also putting like a sheet over it that leaves the front open... I have put an old bed sheet over Gus's crate and I leave the entrance of the crate visiable...it worked for me to make him feel a little less exposed.

How did you originally crate train her? Before now did she have a solid 'in your crate' command? I can send my dog to her crate from across the room and she will run into it.

Do you feed her in her crate? Do you ever put her in there at times aside from sleeping at night? I will put my dog in her crate with a food dispensing toy ( like a stuffed kong) I also feed all meals in there.

How did you originally crate train her? Before now did she have a solid 'in your crate' command? I can send my dog to her crate from across the room and she will run into it.

Do you feed her in her crate? Do you ever put her in there at times aside from sleeping at night? I will put my dog in her crate with a food dispensing toy ( like a stuffed kong) I also feed all meals in there.

She was crate trained to an extent that I was happy with, but didn't have a solid 'in your crate' command. Not for lack of trying though, unfortunately she is completely not food motivated. The thing is that regardless of whether she went in there in command, until the last few weeks she was fine with being put in there.

She is put in there when no one's home, for a few hours (~3) every day or second day, but she's not really in there if everyone's home. I suppose we should do this as well.

I have never fed her in the crate, it's always just next to. I don't mind trying it, do you take the bedding out first? Otherwise I just see a huge mess in the making.

It seems I should refresh some positive associations with the crate.

She was crate trained to an extent that I was happy with, but didn't have a solid 'in your crate' command. Not for lack of trying though, unfortunately she is completely not food motivated. The thing is that regardless of whether she went in there in command, until the last few weeks she was fine with being put in there.

She is put in there when no one's home, for a few hours (~3) every day or second day, but she's not really in there if everyone's home. I suppose we should do this as well.

I have never fed her in the crate, it's always just next to. I don't mind trying it, do you take the bedding out first? Otherwise I just see a huge mess in the making.

Even if she was comfortable in the crate beforehand, she isn't now, so I would definitely work on making more positive associations with the crate.

I'd also move it (even to another side of the room if possible) just in case it was something to do with the area the crate is it.

Is she interested in her food at meal times? You could use her food as treats and throw bits of food in the crate to encourage her to go in there. Use super high value treats like bits of ham or chicken or cheese or sausage, whatever she values more than normal food. I'd work on training a good 'in your crate' type command so you're not forcing her to go in there when she doesn't want to.

I feed my dog in her crate and I put her food bowl on top of her bedding, my dogs scoff their food though so there is minimal mess. I often give them bones etc to chew on in the crate though so I just make sure I wash the bedding frequently and shake it out.

Regarding the size of the crate, can she actually sleep stretched out? A couple of hours without stretching might be getting uncomfortable for her?

As others have said can you give her something to do while in the crate, especially if its up to 3 hours at a time during the day. Pigs ear, chew toy, kong stuffed with part of her daily meal?

Now that she's 13 months old is she not able to go outside when you aren't home? If not and her crate is really stressing her can she have access to a whole room like a laundry when you're not home?

Another thing to try might be making sure she's had a really good exercise before being crated for a few hours. If she's tired she might be more inclined to sleep. If she's full of energy then being in a cramped crate for a few hours could be making her frustrated.

Good luck with your problem :)

Even if she was comfortable in the crate beforehand, she isn't now, so I would definitely work on making more positive associations with the crate.

I'd also move it (even to another side of the room if possible) just in case it was something to do with the area the crate is it.

Is she interested in her food at meal times? You could use her food as treats and throw bits of food in the crate to encourage her to go in there. Use super high value treats like bits of ham or chicken or cheese or sausage, whatever she values more than normal food. I'd work on training a good 'in your crate' type command so you're not forcing her to go in there when she doesn't want to.

I feed my dog in her crate and I put her food bowl on top of her bedding, my dogs scoff their food though so there is minimal mess. I often give them bones etc to chew on in the crate though so I just make sure I wash the bedding frequently and shake it out.

She's interested in food at mealtimes only if she's really hungry (i.e. busy day, no bone/snacks during the day). She's not a morning eater so I gave up with breakfast, and she'll slowly lope over to dinner unless she's super hungry when there's a bit more interest.

I will try moving the crate, I'll swap positions with her basket in the TV area (Do you think it will be possible to shift her back to the originaly position once she's settled? Putting the crate where the bastket is is a bit suboptimal). I'll also feed her in the crate, but not bones...she only gets bones outside and they gum up her outside bed enough so I'd prefer that not in her bedding!

I'll also try getting a good 'into crate' command. What's the best way to start this? In the beginning I would put her in there with the command, give treats when she's inside, or from the outside at the other end to entice her in. What if she won't go in without physcially putting her in?

Thanks for your advice everyone, with the weekend fast approaching I'll get right on it (we had some double-smoked roast chicken last night which definitely caught her attention, so hopefully that will help!)

Cheers :)

She's interested in food at mealtimes only if she's really hungry (i.e. busy day, no bone/snacks during the day). She's not a morning eater so I gave up with breakfast, and she'll slowly lope over to dinner unless she's super hungry when there's a bit more interest.

I will try moving the crate, I'll swap positions with her basket in the TV area (Do you think it will be possible to shift her back to the originaly position once she's settled? Putting the crate where the bastket is is a bit suboptimal). I'll also feed her in the crate, but not bones...she only gets bones outside and they gum up her outside bed enough so I'd prefer that not in her bedding!

I'll also try getting a good 'into crate' command. What's the best way to start this? In the beginning I would put her in there with the command, give treats when she's inside, or from the outside at the other end to entice her in. What if she won't go in without physcially putting her in?

Thanks for your advice everyone, with the weekend fast approaching I'll get right on it (we had some double-smoked roast chicken last night which definitely caught her attention, so hopefully that will help!)

Cheers :)

Watch the DVD crate games by Susan Garrett it helped me a whole heaps with Gus.

Regarding the size of the crate, can she actually sleep stretched out? A couple of hours without stretching might be getting uncomfortable for her?

As others have said can you give her something to do while in the crate, especially if its up to 3 hours at a time during the day. Pigs ear, chew toy, kong stuffed with part of her daily meal?

Now that she's 13 months old is she not able to go outside when you aren't home? If not and her crate is really stressing her can she have access to a whole room like a laundry when you're not home?

Another thing to try might be making sure she's had a really good exercise before being crated for a few hours. If she's tired she might be more inclined to sleep. If she's full of energy then being in a cramped crate for a few hours could be making her frustrated.

I think she can stretch out in the crate, it's quite large and any size up would be ridiculously big. For a super big stretch (in the sense of ones like leaving the pelvis hooked over the side of the basket and stretching for metres into the living room :p) her tail might need to bend, but it should be fine.

If she gets crated when not at home she gets something to occupy her, it's not really this time that she seems stressed out about it (she usually gets a bone as well when someone gets home). I suppose she could be left outside, but I'd be reluctant not to leash her somewhere because I get really worried she'll eat something (she has a really sensitive stomach) or get into mischief, and same for inside, potential unsupervised damage would not go down well with the family.

It's more night time. As soon as she knows what's happening she'll run to her bastket, fling herself in and snuggle down as if to say 'you can't get me, I'm in here now' (it's actually really cute). She gets walked as usual in the evenings for exercise so I'm not sure what's changed :shrug:

Laundry is a no go too, that's the cat's domain!

Edited by Puppybella

I think she can stretch out in the crate, it's quite large and any size up would be ridiculously big. For a super big stretch (in the sense of ones like leaving the pelvis hooked over the side of the basket and stretching for metres into the living room :p) her tail might need to bend, but it should be fine.

If she gets crated when not at home she gets something to occupy her, it's not really this time that she seems stressed out about it (she usually gets a bone as well when someone gets home). I suppose she could be left outside, but I'd be reluctant not to leash her somewhere because I get really worried she'll eat something (she has a really sensitive stomach) or get into mischief, and same for inside, potential unsupervised damage would not go down well with the family.

It's more night time. As soon as she knows what's happening she'll run to her bastket, fling herself in and snuggle down as if to say 'you can't get me, I'm in here now' (it's actually really cute). She gets walked as usual in the evenings for exercise so I'm not sure what's changed :shrug:

Laundry is a no go too, that's the cat's domain!

Lol maybe she is just testing you...? try putting her in there with some toys and leave her... if she starts to whine ignore it....if she stops within 30minutes to 1 hr (being extreme) I'd say she is just retaliating. ..

And maybe a pen is in order for duing the day?? you can set it up outside that way it limits how much of the yard she has acess to.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

My boy gets hot in summer in his soft crate. I've already ordered a wire crate to keep him cooler. I have the fan on at night but he still gets too warm sometimes. If he wakes too early he just wants to go outside and lay on the concrete. Every time we have a disrupted night in the crate, it's because he's too hot.

Lol maybe she is just testing you...? try putting her in there with some toys and leave her... if she starts to whine ignore it....if she stops within 30minutes to 1 hr (being extreme) I'd say she is just retaliating. ..

And maybe a pen is in order for duing the day?? you can set it up outside that way it limits how much of the yard she has acess to.

Haha I do often think this! When I put her to bed at night she is now fine (touch wood), no crying or whining or anything. Now it's just the mornings. I don't think it's from being too hot, they don't seem to be correlated.

A pen during the day would be great, but unfortunately somewhat impractical due to layout of the garden/grass/patio. She'd either be fully exposed or couped up on the concrete, where we don't want her to toilet. I'm really not too worried about the daytime lockups, it's not really that much (possibly shouldn't have said ~3, it's more like max 3 hours, often less, maybe 3 times a week. She is occupied and doesn't seem too bothered.

It's the night time! Just doesn't want to sleep! Having said that, once she is in the crate with the door closed, she isn't frantic or anxious, and will sleep, or at least be quiet (until early next morning lol).

It's a teenage girl thing.

Make sure there's nothing obviously wrong in the crate, change the bedding if needed etc and then be firm.

My 2 yr old is a pain- will go to the crate when she wants, even had a period where she wouldn't leave her crate during the day(?phantom pregnancy?)but still refused to go to bed when told of a night. I think it started when she was spending too much time in the day sleeping, and wanted to play of a night. I found out Daddy had been carrying his little princess to the crate each night! Little brat decided she didn't have to go unless carried, and she is super cute and cuddly when she is sleepy, and refused to go under her own power.

I found out about this behaviour a few weeks ago, and had stern words with "Daddy", but he still wimped out (daddy stays up later than I do)

I got fed up about a week ago and told her to go to bed, just stood my ground, and firmly repeated the command until she complied. Yes she did carry on when she got to the crate, but I ignored her, she wasn't in pain, she had been fed, there was nothing wrong with the crate, but she just wanted to sleep elsewhere.

What "The Cheeky Monster" said above is one of the suggestions I was going to make. She's around 1'ish now?

But another thing, before you do anything regards re-training, insisting, etc. is to check the crate size. Is she comfortable in it? If it is too cramped, or if she is hitting her back on the way in, that could be enough to put her off.

I think part of it is the age. My boy did similiar around that age, maybe a bit older. A year later all I have to do is walk down the back to where his crate is, and he'll throw himself in because he thinks he'll get a treat.

He is also now as of a few months ago, allowed to sleep out of the crate on Fridays and Saturdays, and that's helping him too as he gets a bit of variety. Thankfully he no longer steals half the bed and just sleeps on the floor :)