Fly Bites On Ears

Fordogs

For the first time ever my dogs all have fly bites on their ears (makes me feel like a BAD owner).

I have just dug deep into my dog box and found some Illium fly bite ointment that has been in there for years and put it on everyone.

Just wondering what everyone else uses?

Anyone have a natural remedy?

I don't know, but I'm interested too. One of my dogs is a target for flies (not really the others for some reason) and her ears are shocking at the moment. I have tried a citronella type spray (which the dogs HATED), Aeroguard and now a fly repelling lotion. They all work for a few hours but then it wears off and the flies are back. I work full time so I can't re-apply throughout the day. Would love to find something that works for at least 8 hours!

Musca-ban has always worked really well for me. It lasts all day, sometimes several days. The dogs get greasy fur, but better than fly bites! I even spray it around my back door so the flies dont hang around on there and get inside as soon as I open it!

Muscaban is very good, also the Cotex multipurpose spray works well.

Advantix did nothing to stop the biting flies here.

I found a quick spray around the dogs outdoor snooze area with the Cotex spray and a light mist over the dogs and we have the flies beat.

We use Vet Basix antiseptic fly repellent cream ... it lasts all day and helps clear up any existing wounds.

I normally bathe the tips of the ears in a little warm water to get off the crusty blood, pat dry and then rub on the cream.

I have always used Illium for any problem ears or noses and always found it the best. Washing the ear well to remove any dried blood etc I found to help a lot. I would do that, apply betadine, let it dry out then apply the illium. Whatever you use though needs to be applied regularly.

I also had my first experience with fly bite late last years.

I would clean the dried blood with salty water than apply a thick coat of paw paw cream. The cream would sooth as well as keeping the flies away. Has to be applied thick and regualarly.

It did not fully heal until she was kept inside for several days away from the flies. Once it was fully healed I have had no problems since. :thumbsup:

was just going to start a thread like this, our two have soars on their ears from the flies and we have tried EVERYTHING cleaned their whole area, have got mosquito coils around their area, have been using "troy" insect repellant and vetbasix that is doing nothing at all, have sprayed them with a solution of vinegar and water, have cleaned their ears... these flies are lethal.... the dogs have such bad bites on their ears.. even when us humans go out side we are being eaten alive!! and they damn hurt!.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster