Overlong Soft Palate In Staffys

StaffordLUV

Hi all i took my new stafford puppy to the vet(not my usual vet) for her vaccinations and the young vet there suggested i have her operated on as sometimes they can have an overlong soft palate that ca cause snoring and other issues later on in life. She said it was best done before 12mths of age.

Now i have had a few staffords in my time thru rescue and i have not seen any issues.

I have had some that have snored but apart from that they have been fine.

I spoke to my regular vet and he said that in the past 7 years he has only operated on 2 staffords for this problem and they had very short muzzles.

Im just wondering if anyone has come across this problem?

TIA

We grew up with Staffords and our family has continued to have them over the years. I think between us we have had about 12 dogs.

I have never had this issue,nor do I know anyone that has.. Perhaps it is a new issue with some breeders breeding for a particular type of dog??

I would not be doing any form of surgery like that just on the say so of one vet. I would want a few vets to say it was all 'necessay' before putting the dog through surgery.

I've been told that my toy poodle has a long soft palate too, when I questioned her about Maggie's snoring and grunting. The vet said that in some dogs it can be quite problematic and cause actual problems, but that snoring's no problem, and if she doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort it's nothing to worry about. This is from a vet who isn't shy to suggest treatments and precautions for everything, too!

If I were you I'd get a second opinion, and would definitely avoid surgery because it can "sometimes" be a problem.

thanks for the replies.

No she doesnt snore or have any other issues with her breathing.

My vet said he couldnt see an issue at all but i thought i would ask if anyone else had similar experiences.

I mean if it was a problem i can have it fixed when she is desexed.

lol yeah thanks guys im back to my good old faithful vet from now on, i only used this vet because of limited time during the week i used the closest vet.

Lesson learnt.

Im sure the young vet is a wonderful vet but i think a bit of an alarmist.

I was just wondering if there was something i had missed in the years between having rescue Staffords and bying my new fur-baby.

yep she did, as a preventative incase she ends up with a long soft palate and actually warned me against excercising her to much or long walks as she can overheat and likened her to a pug or other brac. breed.

How many dogs are fine then grow hideously large soft palates that end up choking them?

I think the vet needs to read up on anatomy a little more. She's causing panic and potentially risking unnecessary surgeries on healthy animals. If she's not the practice owner I would be writing a letter of complaint.

In 32 years of owning and breeding Bulldogs we have never had to have a palate reduced. Generally if a dog does have an elongated soft palate then this should be evident at a very early age and very noticeable in hot weather or when eating and drinking.

It is not an operation to be performed "just in case it may happen as the dog gets older".

I'd take a bet that vet also suggests that owners have juvenile pubic symphysiodesis surgery performed on large breed dogs, just incase.

I've only seen a couple of SBT's in the flesh that I would suspect of having an elongated soft palate. Most SBT's snore, fart and belch, the sounds of an elongated soft palate are rather distinct.

I've only seen a couple of SBT's in the flesh that I would suspect of having an elongated soft palate. Most SBT's snore, fart and belch, the sounds of an elongated soft palate are rather distinct.

This!! :thumbsup:

:laugh: yes Stafford farts are very unique arent they!

She also suggested i book the puppy in at be desexed next week (9 weeks old)

i said i will be waiting until she is 6 mths old or until my regular vet deems it ok to do.

He will be doing the surgery ;)

She also handed me a bunch of flyers for doggie classes and puppy preschool as in her words "with such a strong breed i recommend you put her thru obedience classes, they arent the type of dog you can train yourself" :confused:

At this stage i told her i was experienced with the breed and i was sure i could handle the training.

She ok but slipped the flyers in the puppy folder anyway. :laugh: