Need Help With A Staffy?

deghj

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A kennel ..or even a large cardboard container , like that used for fridges/stoves.. with stacks of scrunchable bedding will work, as the smaller airspace will retain body heat, as will bedding into which they can burrow ..they then get a 'blanket' of warm air all round them. The thickest mattress in the world, won't really keep them warm in a large airspace ......

Glass & sun = Mmmmmm :)

Glass & no sun = Brrrrr it loses heat really quickly :(

I wouldn't take advice from anyone that calls an SBT a " staffy". Staffy stands for generic brindle pound mutt and any self respecting breed fancier, refers to the SBT as a "Stafford"

Or you just can't be bothered writing the whole name out... I'm not going to type out American staffordshire terrier every time I talk about my dogs. AmStaffy is much easier ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think 15 is that cold either. If you rug them at that temp their coats won't thicken to be able to withstand much at all. I don't rug til dead winter - it was ten degrees here today and only my old Tzu was rugged. If you ave a bed with sides they will curl up in that. Failing that I would look at a heated bed and Magyver a way to have the cords out of sight.

I wouldn't take advice from anyone that calls an SBT a " staffy". Staffy stands for generic brindle pound mutt and any self respecting breed fancier, refers to the SBT as a "Stafford"

Or you just can't be bothered writing the whole name out... I'm not going to type out American staffordshire terrier every time I talk about my dogs. AmStaffy is much easier ;)

You don't have to, that is the "Amstaff" :)

Normally I wouldn't consider 15 degrees unmanageable either but add the wind here and it feels like it's bordering on zero. Who knows what will happen if it starts snowing. I'll try the earlier suggestion to decrease the size of the space

Normally I wouldn't consider 15 degrees unmanageable either but add the wind here and it feels like it's bordering on zero. Who knows what will happen if it starts snowing. I'll try the earlier suggestion to decrease the size of the space

Option B is a dog door.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Guest lavendergirl

http://drsophiayin.com/philosophy/dominance/

Being on the bed or higher up than the human does not mean dominance.

Dogs are opportunists. If you give them the opportunity they will take it. If you give them the opportunity to train you to do their every bidding, they will take that too.

My dog doesn't sleep on my bed. She doesn't want to, I wriggle too much and when she tries to push me out of my bed, she falls off it. But she told one of my friends who tried looking after her, that she gets to sleep on his bed, and he believed her.

It's not about dominance. It's about opportunities. And what the dog finds rewarding or fun or feels good.

I don't have a staffy but I found that website very interesting as the behaviourists I have consulted about my dog's SA believe in the dominance theory - I doubt it myself as not letting him on the couch or allowing him to go through the door first has not made any difference at all to his anxiety.

:laugh: the name I use depends on who I am talking to... someone with no idea what a Stafford is = english staffy, someone who knows = stafford... feeling lazy = staffy :)

Its only been in the last 7 or 8 months that I found out they weren't actually called an english staffy but a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or Stafford, I'd never researched this particular breed so I had no idea. :hitself:

'English Staffy' is one of my pet peeves... It annoys the crap out of me...

SBT or Stafford = Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Amstaff = American Staffordshire Terrier...

It is really not that hard..

I agree with Pav, Staffy = generic pound type staffy dog... To me I does anyway...

Edited by Staffyluv

Hi all

Now we're back to dogs, I have a question (I said I would :) )

I have never lived in an area that gets so cold during the day. My staffies sleep inside at night so there’s no problem there due to the central heating. However, during the day I let them outside for two reasons, both playing and toileting purposes. They are outside from just before 9 until 5:15 and are inside the rest of the time. Their outside beds are in a totally enclosed verandah with wooden floors and sliding glass doors all around. They have beds in the enclosed area but it can still get quite cold in there even though they’re out of the wind and rain. On clear days they lay in the sun behind the glass and they’re ok. But on overcast days they struggle. I can’t really heat the area as there is a partially open door and small gaps between all the floorboards. My dogs already have the warmest dog coats I’ve found and happily coped with 15degree days at home but they are already feeling the cold and it’s early March. I’ve seen some dog shoes that are advertised in America. Has anyone used these or know about any other winter gear that might help. They’ve already got trampoline beds, pillows a, blankets and kennels. I have also seen dog electric blankets but I’m a bit worried about whether or not the dogs will chew through the cords .

The booties will distract your dogs from the cold for long enough for them to chew them off ;)

We take our guys to the snow yearly-both double coated breeds ( toller & GSD x kelpie) and the first year I spent a FORTUNE on jackets and other keep warm gear for them and the first thing we discovered is they were much happier playing out in the snow all nekkid!! The toller rolls in it constantly and sticks her head down all available holes and burrows, and my Doofus just eats it. Constantly. (avoids the yellow stuff, thank god!).

If you can make them a nice cosy den (box, covered crate) which is enclosed on 3 sides and top, with the open side facing away from the wind, and has blankets to snuggle into, they'll be fine. They are tougher than we realise!!!

Hi all

Now we're back to dogs, I have a question (I said I would :) )

I have never lived in an area that gets so cold during the day. My staffies sleep inside at night so there’s no problem there due to the central heating. However, during the day I let them outside for two reasons, both playing and toileting purposes. They are outside from just before 9 until 5:15 and are inside the rest of the time. Their outside beds are in a totally enclosed verandah with wooden floors and sliding glass doors all around. They have beds in the enclosed area but it can still get quite cold in there even though they’re out of the wind and rain. On clear days they lay in the sun behind the glass and they’re ok. But on overcast days they struggle. I can’t really heat the area as there is a partially open door and small gaps between all the floorboards. My dogs already have the warmest dog coats I’ve found and happily coped with 15degree days at home but they are already feeling the cold and it’s early March. I’ve seen some dog shoes that are advertised in America. Has anyone used these or know about any other winter gear that might help. They’ve already got trampoline beds, pillows a, blankets and kennels. I have also seen dog electric blankets but I’m a bit worried about whether or not the dogs will chew through the cords .

The booties will distract your dogs from the cold for long enough for them to chew them off ;)

We take our guys to the snow yearly-both double coated breeds ( toller & GSD x kelpie) and the first year I spent a FORTUNE on jackets and other keep warm gear for them and the first thing we discovered is they were much happier playing out in the snow all nekkid!! The toller rolls in it constantly and sticks her head down all available holes and burrows, and my Doofus just eats it. Constantly. (avoids the yellow stuff, thank god!).

If you can make them a nice cosy den (box, covered crate) which is enclosed on 3 sides and top, with the open side facing away from the wind, and has blankets to snuggle into, they'll be fine. They are tougher than we realise!!!

My BC's are outside during the day, but like your staffies, they have access to a veranda. On the veranda, out of the weather, I have given them each one of those canvas kennels in which I have tied down their bedding to avoid it being used as a tug toy. They also have their trampoline beds for when it gets too hot. They love to snuggle into the back of their canvas kennels, though the youngster has done a bit of decorating with his :laugh:

P1010812-Copy.jpg

Edited by sheena

@lavendargirl

It's amazing how much being forgetful can help your dog's sep anx.

pack everything up put it in the car. Except the dog, who is by now sulking on the couch. Well she's stuck in that pancake pose elbows sticking out, chin on the couch, just watching me.

go back for hat.

go back for phone

go back for sun screen

go back for drink bottle of water

go back for a cooler bag and ice pack.

which gets dog up cos you went to the freezer where the roo chews live - and that reminds you to give her one.

go back for last minute pee cos you never know when your next chance will be...

after a few days of that - she was pretty much over pork chopping cos I was leaving her.

What really sets her off now is if I shut her in but I don't leave - I stay out in the garden and do weed killer or talk to lawn mower man or shed clean out: front and back shed doors open so dog can escape to street if she's out. But again, she just needs more practice.

Guest lavendergirl

@lavendargirl

It's amazing how much being forgetful can help your dog's sep anx.

pack everything up put it in the car. Except the dog, who is by now sulking on the couch. Well she's stuck in that pancake pose elbows sticking out, chin on the couch, just watching me.

go back for hat.

go back for phone

go back for sun screen

go back for drink bottle of water

go back for a cooler bag and ice pack.

which gets dog up cos you went to the freezer where the roo chews live - and that reminds you to give her one.

go back for last minute pee cos you never know when your next chance will be...

after a few days of that - she was pretty much over pork chopping cos I was leaving her.

What really sets her off now is if I shut her in but I don't leave - I stay out in the garden and do weed killer or talk to lawn mower man or shed clean out: front and back shed doors open so dog can escape to street if she's out. But again, she just needs more practice.

I can do forgetful very well Mrs RB :D I will give it a try - thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

hi folks.. one quick question....

are staffy pups really energetic? bumped into my neighbour who now has one.. approx 3 or 4months old... WOW alot of energy.. and was not expecting that.

It this just simply puppy hood?

Mine was but in short bursts. He tended to go from 100 miles an hour for half an hour or so and then collapse panting on the tiles for a couple of hours. When swimming half an hour of swimming and playing at the beach led to comatose puppy on the way home and he'd be sleeping and lolling around for a good 24 hours. Half an hour in the dog park did the same thing

What a load of crap, now it comes down to spelling/shortening a name as to whether you take advice from someone? :rofl::rofl::rofl: