Need Help With A Staffy?

deghj

Also I walk him twice a day morning and afternoon and he pretty much goes wherever i go in the car including beach, park etc. We used to take long walks however it got hard when he started his pulling antics and it was pointless walking half an hour when all he was doing was having his negative behaviour reinforced. Now we walk shorter distances which will probably take up to if not more than half an hour when you include all the direction changing and stopping we do. It sort of balances out.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there is a medical implant that can be used by a vet to chemically steralise the dog. I think breeders use them when they want to give the dog a break but still breed with them later. You'd probably need to talk to your vet though as I don't know all that much about them.

Ok i understand. The time he was confronted by a friends dog he was definitely submissive when the other dog showed aggression. This is a little confusing as i was scared he would retaliate. Nevertheless i definitely need some professional training, i think it is the best option at this stage. However i am currently between jobs and a full time student so it may have to wait a short time until i pick up some work. He is improving with the treat training at least.

I will also look into desexing however i did want to breed him at some stage. Why do we desex dogs exactly is it to prevent disease down the track?

I desexed my boy to get his hormones under control and my girl so we didn't have any accidents with other neighbourhood dogs. It does help prevent illnesses when they are older though. If you are planning on breeding I'd look into that implant a previous poster suggested and scrap neutering :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogs are castrated to remove the chance of testicular cancer .

It is also said to help in preveniting prostate problems .

The loss of testosterone may also help with temperament , and reduces sex-linked behaviours.

Desexing males and females stops casual/irresponsible breeders producing unwanted puppies/puppies from non- health tested parents passing on genetic faults, and stops excess puppies being part of the pet shop trade.

you dont use chemical castration on growing dogs.

Tanstaff - To be honest you want to breed a dog you cannot control - your priority is to make this dog safe, handleable and give him a reason to be bred from. If he has no papers or cannot be shown the only people that will want to use him is backyarders. Decide what you want from your dog, I'm happy to help people with their pets, and I have a school in Geelong that is very reasonably priced.

email me when you can.

I believe there is a medical implant that can be used by a vet to chemically steralise the dog. I think breeders use them when they want to give the dog a break but still breed with them later. You'd probably need to talk to your vet though as I don't know all that much about them.

It's called Suprelorin and as Nek says, you don't use it on growing dogs.

Let's be mindful of how we describe him as he can be problematic in some situations he is 100% controllable at home, alone. I have every intention of rectifying his behavioral problems and if i was to breed him it would be with people i know. I wish to breed him but i have no interest in doing so any time soon.

if i was to breed him it would be with people i know.

:confused: So the people you know are the people who own the bitches who are best suited to his pedigree and conformation? If someone with the ideal bitch for him wanted to use him but you didn't know them they couldn't use him? Sorry, that's not responsible dog breeding, that's just weird!

tanstaff

you don't breed a dog with people... you breed it with a bitch.

Anyway the thing is you can't tell what problems you're going to pass on to the puppies without some genetic testing, hip scores and stuff, both parent dogs have to be tested so you don't double up on any bad gene and make a litter of dodgy puppies.

And if there are any temperment problems - you don't want to be passing those on either.

100% controlable at home in a familiar low distraction environment - isn't much of a challenge. But if you never let other dogs visit again, and don't take him out, that would be ok, I suppose.

There are so many risks for the bitch that has the puppies, and the puppies themselves. It can be messy and traumatic. Are you sure "people you know" want to do that to their beloved pet?

And you won't be well received in here if you decide to go ahead and breed unpapered dogs. The pounds are already full of unwanted staffies. And in Victoria if there is a larger than normal one and it's got no pedigree papers - it can be declared illegal and confiscated.

This is what a responsible breeder should be doing.

http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-a-responsible-companion-animal-breeder_327.html

and "people you know" should also be familiar with this.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/dog-care/new-regulations-for-dog-breeders

I don't know why you'd want your dog to be breeding. Desexing would benefit his long term health and be convenient as far as reducing the risk of unwanted puppies in the world. And you might get less humping and leg cocking but there's no guarantee of that.

http://www.ndn.org.au/

tanstaff

Anyway the thing is you can't tell what problems you're going to pass on to the puppies without some genetic testing, hip scores and stuff, both parent dogs have to be tested so you don't double up on any bad gene and make a litter of dodgy puppies.

And if there are any temperment problems - you don't want to be passing those on either.

100% controlable at home in a familiar low distraction environment - isn't much of a challenge. But if you never let other dogs visit again, and don't take him out, that would be ok, I suppose.

There are so many risks for the bitch that has the puppies, and the puppies themselves. It can be messy and traumatic. Are you sure "people you know" want to do that to their beloved pet?

And you won't be well received in here if you decide to go ahead and breed unpapered dogs. The pounds are already full of unwanted staffies. And in Victoria if there is a larger than normal one and it's got no pedigree papers - it can be declared illegal and confiscated.

This is what a responsible breeder should be doing.

http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-a-responsible-companion-animal-breeder_327.html

and "people you know" should also be familiar with this.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/dog-care/new-regulations-for-dog-breeders

I don't know why you'd want your dog to be breeding. Desexing would benefit his long term health and be convenient as far as reducing the risk of unwanted puppies in the world. And you might get less humping and leg cocking but there's no guarantee of that.

http://www.ndn.org.au/

Good post.

If he is not papered get him neutered. I am sick of seeing AmStaffs on kill lists every week due to BYB's overbreeding because it is an easy way to make a quick buck. And you do need to look at what temperament you would be passing on. For example, my boy is dog aggressive... Part my fault for lack of solialisation but also it is his genetics. We had him done and from an early age and knew he should never be used to breed with - not that we would have anyway, because he is unpapered and we are responsible :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coffeesplurk.gif Good one MRB. I just spat out my breakfast.

tanstaff, are your dog and the bitch you want to use him over on the main register?

Breeding unregistered, non health tested dogs isn't a great idea. particularly bull breeds, particularly in Vic... Apologies if I have misunderstood and you are in fact a registered breeder.

Personally I'd wait until around 12-15 months before desexing.