Healthiest Dry Dog Food?

jon_k86

How long is a piece of string??? You are going to get a multitude of replies, as everyone has their favourite healthy dry food. I feed my BC's Black Hawk Holistic...they love the food & do well on it. It's all natural & made from human grade ingredients & is reasonably well priced for a top quality dry food. :thumbsup: And before any of my critics get in...yes, I do distribute it for BH, because it is a food I believe in. ;)

I think that there are a number of good dry dog foods but not every dog does well on them. It comes down to the individual dog and what works best for them. I tried a number of dry foods with my guys before settling on one that suits them and they will happily eat.

There is no "best" dry dog food. It's all about what agrees with your dog and what works.

Any of the premium dry foods are good: Black Hawk, Royal Canin ... The list is endless.

Then there's the feeders of an all raw diet, which is also fantastic if you know what you're doing.

My guys thrive on Royal Canin but it might not work for your dog.

I've also been told that if your dog is overly excitable to watch out for the amount of protein it's being fed. I don't know how true this is though.

Guest lavendergirl

Have a look at this site - it rates kibble according to quality of ingredients. Science diet is generally not well regarded here.

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Gotta say that im a big fan of Black Hawk. My girl elysium has gastric problems and after researching ingredients i tried it and she has been really good ever since. i do still mix in hills z/d but all in all she cant wait for her breakfast and dinner every day! :)

Another Black Hawk fan here. Tried 6 premium different types of dry food as I have a "Mr fussy pants" when it comes to kibble. He liked some of them for a while then went off them &

to be honest he just wasn't doing well on them & his coat even went off. Haven't looked back since swapping to BH Holistic, Sonny looks so much healthier & has a coat to die for. I often

get stopped by complete strangers asking me how I keep his coat so shiny, even taking pictures of him & my little girl who also does well on it. Bottom line is they both love it !!! I even

use it as training bait.

So I guess it is very much a case of trail & error cause every dog is different. You can have the best quality dry food in the world but if it doesn't get eaten you are just wasting your money.

Suggest maybe getting a few samples of premium dry food & see how you go, find one that works for your dog & that he likes. Sonny wouldn't go near HSD. Spoilt boy :laugh:

Another Black Hawk fan here. Tried 6 premium different types of dry food as I have a "Mr fussy pants" when it comes to kibble. He liked some of them for a while then went off them &

to be honest he just wasn't doing well on them & his coat even went off. Haven't looked back since swapping to BH Holistic, Sonny looks so much healthier & has a coat to die for. I often

get stopped by complete strangers asking me how I keep his coat so shiny, even taking pictures of him & my little girl who also does well on it. Bottom line is they both love it !!! I even

use it as training bait.

So I guess it is very much a case of trail & error cause every dog is different. You can have the best quality dry food in the world but if it doesn't get eaten you are just wasting your money.

Suggest maybe getting a few samples of premium dry food & see how you go, find one that works for your dog & that he likes. Sonny wouldn't go near HSD. Spoilt boy :laugh:

My BC was exactly the same he would eat certain premium dry foods for a while and then stop, he wouldn't even go near eagle pack. Was costing me a fortune but he thrives on Black Hawk and will do anything for it.

The best food for your dog is what your dog does best on...

I use Nutro here and my boy and the foster dogs that come through so far have all dne well on it... Plus fresh meat, sardines, cottage cheese, eggs and raw bones...

Be careful when changing diet. Do gradual changes, say 50/50 of current food and new food for a week and then add a bit more of the new food, gradually phasing out the old one. This will help stop any tummy upsets that might occur with an instant change from one to another.

Another vote here for Black Hawk Holistic....I have had my dogs on it for nearly 5 months now & they are absolutely thriving on it. There coats are lovely & shiny, energy levels great, & there poo is small & firm, & they have no wind ( which was a real problem with the Advance food I had them on previously )Best of all the dogs totally love it.

We will definatley be sticking with this food. :)

I recommend you get some samples of different premium foods & seeing which one your dog does best on. :)

I recommend you get some samples of different premium foods & seeing which one your dog does best on. :)

This. Or at least buy small bags so you don't do your dough if it doesn't work out.

Completely agreed. I've had my dogs on a few different foods trying to find the best one - Pro Plan, Eukanuba, Royal Canin, Black Hawk. They're now on Taste of the Wild which is great for my allergy dog - I don't think the younger one could care less, kibble is kibble in her opinion. :laugh:

This. Or at least buy small bags so you don't do your dough if it doesn't work out.

Completely agreed. I've had my dogs on a few different foods trying to find the best one - Pro Plan, Eukanuba, Royal Canin, Black Hawk. They're now on Taste of the Wild which is great for my allergy dog - I don't think the younger one could care less, kibble is kibble in her opinion. :laugh:

Taste of the Wild would be one I would really try if I couldn't get BH for some reason. So many interesting flavours. Sounds scummy if I was a dog. :)

Personally I dont' think it hurts to change what you're feeding every now and again.

I've never bothered to mix kibble or do gradual changes and its never affected my dogs. These are animals that can eat poo and rotting meat and never miss a beat.

With the super premiums I know most have a 'super palatability agreement' so if the dog won't eat it etc. You can take it back and you'll get a refund/exchange.

The food has to be in the bag (more than 1/2 a bag left) and you'll need a receipt.....

Personally I dont' think it hurts to change what you're feeding every now and again.

I've never bothered to mix kibble or do gradual changes and its never affected my dogs. These are animals that can eat poo and rotting meat and never miss a beat.

I guess I must have been unlucky then. I find the fosters coming from pound food, get upset tummies when they have that immediate change to nutro and raw food that I serve up here...

I was mainly going on previous experience but I guess I could be wrong. I have never served poo or rotting meat to my dogs so maybe they are a bit sensitive and need toughening up :D

I guess I must have been unlucky then. I find the fosters coming from pound food, get upset tummies when they have that immediate change to nutro and raw food that I serve up here...

I was mainly going on previous experience but I guess I could be wrong. I have never served poo or rotting meat to my dogs so maybe they are a bit sensitive and need toughening up :D

I'd say pound dogs are probably different - not in optimal health a lot of the time and most haven't had optimal diets.

I dont serve poo or rotting meat to my dogs either - they find it themselves. :(