Just Starting Out And Very Confused!

Hey I'm new here *waves*

So I'm from Perth (mandurah to be specific) and own a border collie, Beau. He's just turned 1. we've spent the past year attending a dog training class that his vet holds. I've always wanted to do agility with Beau, hence the late start to all this he isn't allowed to start learning jumps etc til he is past 12months. I read that agility comps are for 18+ months.

When I bought Beau I was under the impression he was pedigree but having not been able to get hold of papers Im just going to say he's purebred. He was the second last litter from the breeders and they have since disappeared of the face of the earth it seems.

So I've been researching in preparation to start showing him (probably not for another 6months/year for agility) and I thought it might be fun and good experience to enter in a few other shows until we can do agility. And this is where it all gets confusing. I've been looking a the dogs west site and I'm assuming due to lack of papers I am to register Beau as an associate dog. It also says to enter their shows I need to be a member with them. If I do all that then what? It says they do training at their affiliated clubs but when I looked them up their sites say you need to be a member with them. So Do I need to be a member of both? Also the dogs west site has a calander of events and then the club name, does this mean that's the club holding the event of I have to be a member of that club to enter? And how do I go about actually entering those shows? And does being registered as an associate dog limit us from what shows we can enter? Does being de-sexed limit him too? On the forms to enter him in a show there isn't a part for neutured dogs so does this mean he can be put in any of the normal dog classes?

I'm sorry for all the stupid questions but I have no idea where to start!

Unfortunately if he has no papers you cannot show him. He can be registered on the Associate register and do every other dog sport (as far as I am aware) except conformation showing.... He HAS to be on Main registration in order for you to be able to show him.

As above, with no pedigree papers you cannot show him in conformation shows.

You can still enter obedience, rally obedience, agility, tracking, herding, dances with dogs, flyball and endurance trials with him... so there is still plenty to do! ;) All of these do obviously take training and you can find the rules for each of them here: http://www.ankc.org.au/Rules.aspx It is useful to go along to one of the trials in the calendar (without your dog) to watch to get an idea of what goes on. It's even more useful if there is an obedience or agility club nearby which will help you out!

To enter these dog sports you need to register Beau as an associate, as well as become a member of DogsWest yourself. You don't have to be a member of the individual clubs to enter their trials.

Hope that makes sense :)

Oh I was under the impression that as long as he was registered associate he could still be entered.

In agility? Absolutlely. He will also need to be desexed to be registered as an Associate (but I see that he is).

In conformation? I'm afraid not.

If you're looking for an activity to tide you over before agility, how about Obedience? Associates can do that.

Edited by Telida Whippets

Oh I was under the impression that as long as he was registered associate he could still be entered.

In agility? Absolutlely. He will also need to be desexed to be registered as an Associate (but I see that he is).

If you're looking for an activity to tide you over before agility, how about Obedience? Associates can do that.

oh phew thank you! No I didn't think he could be entered in breed etc but for a second there I thought our agility dreams has been crushed.

Well there's lots and lots of things you can do in agility as far as training and focus are concerned before he is 18 months old - you can join one of the agility clubs in your area and take it from there. He just can't compete before he's 18 months old.

oh phew thank you! No I didn't think he could be entered in breed etc but for a second there I thought our agility dreams has been crushed.

Aren't breed shows what you were talking about entering in your original post, "until you can do agility"? :confused:

Aren't breed shows what you were talking about entering in your original post, "until you can do agility"? :confused:

yeah im a bit confused too, i thought that's what the OP meant as well. its a shame the breeder didn't explain all this at sale.