Animal Lovers That Dislike Children

LizT

unfortunately that is one of the problem with these types of threads and when people thoughtlessly harass others about why they don't have kids - they don't think about these sort of reasons.

To be fair I dont think the intention by the aforementioned poster was to harass others, just think some parents are SO into being parents they cannot accept/ understand anyone who isn't. They kinda get tunnel vision about it.

Personally I'd rather swallow razor blades than have a child lol. Thank god I'm almost beyond the age where it's a possibility. Being a parent is a lifestyle choice, and it has never been a lifestyle that's appealed to me .. Shudders.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

unfortunately that is one of the problem with these types of threads and when people thoughtlessly harass others about why they don't have kids - they don't think about these sort of reasons.

Yep, I have done my grieving now (which has included breaking down and blubbering in the toy aisle at K-Mart) but it still hurts so I appreciate it when mothers dont shove their kids at me and expect me to love being around them. Sometimes for my own sake they need to be kept at a distance. And if some people think that means I 'hate' them - then wahoo for them.

Edited by espinay2

Guest Willow

I never particularly liked kids, I felt uncomfortable and awkward around them....like they were alien beings. I never wanted my own kids either. Then one day my biological clock kicked in, and now I have two kids and want more :laugh: I've found as my daughter grows older, I have become much more comfortable with kids in general....I know better how to relate to them, and find them less confusing. I dislike being around children who have no manners, or whose parents appear to not care how they behave in public. I'm also aware, through my own previous discomfort with children, that lots of people won't think my kids are as wonderful as i do, so I strive to make sure they don't make others lives a misery when we are out in public (ie, putting a stop to tamtrums straight away, not allowing unruly behaviour, practicing good manners and appropriate behaviour etc.)

Edited by Willow

I couldn't have children...and thought I could never be a mum..since having my two little furries, I know I am a mum and I'm loved by them as such and I love them in return as such..it doesn't matter where the love comes from, in what context..as long as it's there.

Why does someone have to give a reason.

Exactly. There's diversity across the community. Each to their own notions of what they personally like, or do not like.

So long as it does not translate into unfairness or lack of consideration for children.

Yes, this!

Who gives a flying toss if someone doesn't like kids? So long as they aren't being nasty to or abusing kids in any way, what on earth is the problem?

:laugh:

I think the issue for some people isn't those who don't like kids, it's those who don't like their kids.

To be fair I dont think the intention by the aforementioned poster was to harass others, just think some parents are SO into being parents they cannot accept/ understand anyone who isn't. They kinda get tunnel vision about it.

Personally I'd rather swallow razor blades than have a child lol. Thank god I'm almost beyond the age where it's a possibility. Being a parent is a lifestyle choice, and it has never been a lifestyle that's appealed to me .. Shudders.

Perhaps that wasn't the intention but the OP, after I responded, continued to go on about it. It's no one's business why someone doesn't like children and to keep going on about it is simply tunnel vision. But why don't you like (my) children?

Edited by Sheridan

[we have one in at the moment, bitter old woman with a cat, this would be her 5th representation in the last 12 months, no visitors, crusty old clothes and noone answers her calls when we dial the phone numbers she asks for...

Good for this elderly lady & her cat. She is as she is... & does not deserve to be held up as some cautionary stereotype.

She has the same value as any other human being.

I'd wish her some gentle understanding and care.

Even though this thread has gone all over the place and has become a bit weird for general dog discussion, I've found it really interesting reading people's different points of view!

I like kids, especially babies, they generally like me, I don't have any, would quite like to but don't know if I'll have the opportunity. I hadn't really thought much about other people's feelings towards kids and their reasons for feeling

how they do, probably because I don't have any, but this thread is a good reminder that you can't assume how other people react, think and feel towards any one else really, or why.

[we have one in at the moment, bitter old woman with a cat, this would be her 5th representation in the last 12 months, no visitors, crusty old clothes and noone answers her calls when we dial the phone numbers she asks for...

Good for this elderly lady & her cat. She is as she is... & does not deserve to be held up as some cautionary stereotype.

It's also against confidentiality rules to be posting about patients on an internet forum, even without mentioning names!

Yep, I have done my grieving now (which has included breaking down and blubbering in the toy aisle at K-Mart) but it still hurts so I appreciate it when mothers dont shove their kids at me and expect me to love being around them. Sometimes for my own sake they need to be kept at a distance. And if some people think that means I 'hate' them - then wahoo for them.

This is how I feel as well. As a woman, not being able to have kids left me feeling somewhat of a failure for a very long time. Still it is a slightly sensitive topic for me. I'm much much better than I used to be, but I can remember crying over baby clothes in Target and not wanting to be around children for a long time.

I certainly don't hate children, but we have made a life out of not having them and I'm as happy as I can be with this new life smile.gif

You know what's really sad? The old people in homes and hospital who die alone because they had no kids or grandkids or a younger generation to help them out, visit them or spend time with them as an elderly.

Anyone who thinks having kids guarantees them company in their old age is dreaming. If you want company in your old age, friends are what guarantees it.

Plenty of aged care workers can tell you that elderly folk get 'warehoused' and don't get family visitors. I can also tell you about children that fleece their parents and leave them destitute.

There are also plenty of estranged families, geographically seperated families and families devastated by loss.

Romance and reality are two different things. If your family is close its cause for celebration but its by no means a universal thing.

Indeed. I think the lack of "the extended family" is partly to blame for the "me,me" generation. :(

Also remember that just because I don't give birth doesn't mean I have no 'family'. I have a big extended family and we are quite close. I have no concerns for my old age.

No, it doesn't. I was thinking more about the nuclear family as such.

I don't know if it is so much a case of animal lovers disliking children as it is that more and more are raising the animals up to be of equal standing.

If someone cannot have children and decides to get a dog and treat it with as much importance as they would have done with a child, what is so bad about that?

...um...because they are a dog, not a child.

People make a big deal out of not andromorphing (sp? humanising) animal behaviour on this forum.

I think treating a pet as a child AND also feeling a dislike towards children, could be unhealthy.

As far as humanising pets I think it is is a 'biggie' in this area. Again, just my personal opinion.

Same here. Laughing at someone who cant have children and has no family in Aus? What the???

I dont think Donatella was laughing at the fact that there were no children when tried for. This is one of lifes saddest ironies. So many people don't understand the difficulties in trying for a family unsucessfully. Becausue for many it "just happens". But for very many it does not.

I was supposed to go on a fertility drug course but it turned out that I was pregnant. I am one of the very lucky ones, because I got what I wanted.

This thread is not about whether you can or cannot have children, it's not even about whether you choose or choose not to have children.

That is a highly personal and sensitive subject and not one to be handled lightly.

I'm pretty sure Donatellas amusement was directed at the description of the screaming kids. Again, probably not funny if you had to put up with it. But certainly no comment on anyones failed attempts at starting a family.

I don't know if it is so much a case of animal lovers disliking children as it is that more and more are raising the animals up to be of equal standing.

If someone cannot have children and decides to get a dog and treat it with as much importance as they would have done with a child, what is so bad about that?

People make a big deal out of not andromorphing (sp? humanising) animal behaviour on this forum.

I think treating a pet as a child AND also feeling a dislike towards children, could be unhealthy.

As far as humanising pets I think it is is a 'biggie' in this area. Again, just my personal opinion.

But what's it to you if someone humanises their dog?

I really don't get why people get so hysterical over what people they don't know do or don't do. It's no one's business but the person concerned, it doesn't hurt anyone, so why do people get so uptight about what strangers do? People really need to get over themselves.

Why does someone have to give a reason.

Exactly. There's diversity across the community. Each to their own notions of what they personally like, or do not like.

So long as it does not translate into unfairness or lack of consideration for children.

Yes, this!

Who gives a flying toss if someone doesn't like kids? So long as they aren't being nasty to or abusing kids in any way, what on earth is the problem?

:laugh:

I think the issue for some people isn't those who don't like kids, it's those who don't like their kids.

Perhaps that wasn't the intention but the OP, after I responded, continued to go on about it. It's no one's business why someone doesn't like children and to keep going on about it is simply tunnel vision. But why don't you like (my) children?

It is certainly not my intention to harrass you or anyone Sheridan.

Perhaps my Thread should have been called......

"People that love their pets like children but have little or no time for human kids and openly dislike them? What's that about?"

Same here. Laughing at someone who cant have children and has no family in Aus? What the???

I'm pretty sure Donatellas amusement was directed at the description of the screaming kids. Again, probably not funny if you had to put up with it. But certainly no comment on anyones failed attempts at starting a family.

that's not what she said...she laughed at the idea that someone would get so offended by what she said and the reasons why...

Yep - she said what she found so lol worthy and it wasnt the children on Drumbeat's plane. Drumbeat deserves an apology for that. She's never rude to anyone on this forum as far as I remember. It was uncalled for.

Getting back to the OP, I cant ever recall meeting childless animal lovers who claim they actively dislike children.

Lol - there's a big difference between children and animals - I know I'd freak out if my daughter started licking her butt!

I don't have a problem with people treating their animals like people so long as they set boundaries just as you would with a child. In saying that I do not believe that animals should have the same rights as people - i.e. being able to stay in resorts, etc - not everyone has clean, non-smelly, defleaed animals.

But what's it to you if someone humanises their dog?

I really don't get why people get so hysterical over what people they don't know do or don't do. It's no one's business but the person concerned, it doesn't hurt anyone, so why do people get so uptight about what strangers do? People really need to get over themselves.

IMO, it is a problem when the dog has no manners, jumps up on visitors, gets talked to as though it's a human and understands them, gets a huge long monologue about why it's not allowed on the couch unless "Mummy" isn't at home, is allowed to beg at the dinner table when guests are trying to eat without being licked icon_smile_mad.gif or if you're trying to have a conversation and the dog feels left out and starts barking. NOT acceptable dog behaviour - and shouldn't be allowed. This same dog was also allowed to hang around even after knocking a little 2 year old boy who was visiting! The kid was crying his poor little eyes out! And the dog's "parents" didn't even care icon_smile_mad.gif

These are my close friends but I really dislike their "parenting" techniques.

I lived with them for 3 months and while I was there I did a bit of training the dog, teaching her to sit when people come in the door (sometimes works - bit hard when there's no consistency), to drop (which is handy when she's trying to eat your food when you're sitting on the lounge....)

Oh and the kicker. It's a super energetic BC X Blue Heeler who doesn't get walked, living in suburbia. eek1.gif kept inside most of the time. (When I was living there, I let her outside in the back yard to let some steam off and they got home from work and asked why she was outside? Poor baby...)

So that's my beef with dogs who get treated like children.

It's also against confidentiality rules to be posting about patients on an internet forum, even without mentioning names!

actually so long as you don't mention names, photos or identifying information its free game. how do you think conferences and seminars get their info? you think they get approval from patient x and y for every published case study? noooo dear

Yes, they should, it's called ethical consent and you cannot publish without it.

Human Ethics Committees. For example

that's not what she said...she laughed at the idea that someone would get so offended by what she said and the reasons why...

Yep - she said what she found so lol worthy and it wasnt the children on Drumbeat's plane. Drumbeat deserves an apology for that. She's never rude to anyone on this forum as far as I remember. It was uncalled for.

Getting back to the OP, I cant ever recall meeting childless animal lovers who claim they actively dislike children.

Really? People must like to tell me what they think (Great! :rolleyes: ). I known plenty of horse/dog/cat owners who have openly told me of their feelings in this area.

Yes, it is their business how they feel. They have that right, just as everyone does.