Animal Lovers That Dislike Children

LizT

From OP's very first post in this thread

On a plane returning to Australia from Vienna an old woman sat beside me, glanced at my 6 months old baby, pulled a sour face, called the flight attendant and stated "I specifically requested NOT to be seated next to one of those"! She got moved.

It is how people openly express themselves that I believe the OP was questioning.

Whether someone likes or dislikes children or chooses to have children or not isn't the issue IMO

It is however obvious that many have no issue with people being so openly rude.

Edited by Crisovar

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People have the right to like or dislike anything they choose, it is how they express those choices that is interesting.

Whether it be about life choices like children or pets, or tastes in fashion or food, how a person expresses themselves is very telling.

well I can't speak for other posters but it gets pretty annoying when you have to keep explaining yourself because people just can't accept the way you want to live your life.

Not meaning here, but everywhere.

Like the "Why do you have so many animals? You could have a really nice house and a pool if not for them and be able to go on holidays etc. etc." I used get that all the time from family, but I think they finally get me. :)

no...animals is not usually as bad. Unless it's the "you may as well have kids if you are going to have so many animals" confused.gif

not being a kid person is usually treated as worse, like there is something wrong with you.

On a plane returning to Australia from Vienna an old woman sat beside me, glanced at my 6 months old baby, pulled a sour face, called the flight attendant and stated "I specifically requested NOT to be seated next to one of those"! She got moved.

It is how people openly express themselves that I believe the OP was questioning.

Whether someone likes or dislikes children or chooses to have children or not isn't the issue IMO

then you aren't reading posts properly. I and other people said that she was very rude. I said earlier that she may have just been a very rude person and it had nothing to do with whether or not she liked kids

others agreed that they wouldn't want to sit next to a child, but not necessarily agreed with how she went about it

Edited by Cat

I don't walk around volunteering that I don't like kids. It normally comes up when someone grills me about why I haven't got kids. Ok and it might be rather obvious if I am out somewhere and there is a naughty child!

The lady on the plane might have liked kids btw but just didn't want to sit next to a baby during an international flught.

Whilst I've been guilty myself of saying "I don't much like kids", I really like the point someone made (apologies for not quoting you!) where they compared the 'deed not breed' argument to the "I don't like kids" mantra. Catch anyone at the right (or wrong) moment and you will see bad behaviour and without knowing a context for it's occurrence you can't really make a value judgement on whether that behaviour makes them a bad person or is a true reflection of their personality unless you know them well enough.

I agree with others who have posted that having preconceived ideas that may alter how you treat someone, anyone, is a bit unfair. Sure it isn't a problem if you don't let it affect you or others in a negative way, however I think reflecting the problem onto others is wrong. Take for example my Daughter, who is a 3.5 years old and extremely social. She loves to greet people (strangers) wherever we go, just to say hello. She doesn't harass anyone and usually won't say any more than hello unless they respond positively. From what a lot of people have said in this thread it seems to me that this kind of behaviour is looked upon unfavourably and would be ignored (and rightly so the attitude seems), but if it were an adult doing the greeting you would be considered rude to ignore them. Huge double standard there.

Yes, I agree that bad behaviour is difficult to put up with (and I doubt anyone knows that better than most parents of a child/children), however there are so many threads on here filled with examples of poor adult behaviour and yet I don't hear many people saying "I don't like adults". It's absolutely no skin off my nose if people don't like my child, but I do expect people to treat her with the courtesy that any human ought to be entitled to, despite her age, and I have to say that on a percentage scale of badly behaved people, kids wouldn't be at the top of the list from what I have witnessed. Certainly my child has better manners than a lot of people we meet on the street and even some of the posters in this thread.

Edited by haven

I don't walk around volunteering that I don't like kids. It normally comes up when someone grills me about why I haven't got kids. Ok and it might be rather obvious if I am out somewhere and there is a naughty child!

The lady on the plane might have liked kids btw but just didn't want to sit next to a baby during an international flught.

Then child or children would be the appropriate term instead of one of those.

then you aren't reading posts properly. I and other people said that she was very rude. I said earlier that she may have just been a very rude person and it had nothing to do with whether or not she liked kids

others agreed that they wouldn't want to sit next to a child, but not necessarily agreed with how she went about it

I have not said all posters, you didn't read my post properly.

If I meant all the posters in this thread then I would have written that.

I don't have children ,made my mind up on this well before i married ,still must say i love and do enjoy their company.

(not the parents who let them run amok though ) just not for me. How ever i have had 4 dogs over the years .have and do love them ,spoil them, try to instill good behavior ,we are/ have been mom and dad to them. we know they are dogs and not children. but simply adore them.

I said, kids are as individual as any other human, so it makes no sense to me to say "I don't like children". It's like saying "I don't like men" or "I don't like women". It isn't logical. They don't all act the same, have the same personalities. If 'disliking kids' is based on the fact they poo in nappies and therefore smell for about 5 minutes of their

day, then well...I just call that shallow.

Babies are very noisy a lot of the time, and smelly a lot of the time and are pretty boring. They can't speak, they can't move properly and do nothing for me. But you say I am shallow because I can't find anything to appreciate in other people's babies? What can babies do that is so good? They cannot do any of the things that make adults appealing and good to be around. They don't even have a personality, they just have moods and impulses that they don't control.

I think it is shallow when hormones take over parents' brains and suddenly this weak, noisy, smelly, boring, greedy thing is suddenly more important than anything and

anyone else in the world.

There is nothing appealing to me about babies, they are grotty, loud and annoying.Your affection is all in your head, and caused by the hormones designed to keep the species alive. Like a dog acting on its instincts to bury a bone, there is no deeper intellectual basis for you liking your baby, or you having a shot at the people that don't.

Brilliant post GM

Guest donatella

I could get shot in the foot for this but I do genuinely wonder how many anti kid people (seemingly most are women?) dislike and don't want kids at their choice entirely or that they were dealt a horrible hand at life and were not able to procreate and now hold a bitterness towards them. Just a thought, I don't want anyone to answer this, it's just a theory I have.

I could get shot in the foot for this but I do genuinely wonder how many anti kid people (seemingly most are women?) dislike and don't want kids at their choice entirely or that they were dealt a horrible hand at life and were not able to procreate and now hold a bitterness towards them. Just a thought, I don't want anyone to answer this, it's just a theory I have.

A theory like that might be best kept to yourself then. If you don't want public comment why post it on a public forum?

Totally disagree with this theory.

I am totally able to have kids and I don't like them. Well I assume that I could have had kids if I wanted to. My ability to have a child was never tested. My ex husband doesn't like kids either btw.

well as for me I have a wonderful family , and a happy childhood and never tried to have a child so don't know if i could have. just knew from the get go it was not for me .

sorry spelling.

Edited by wolfies mom

A theory like that might be best kept to yourself then. If you don't want public comment why post it on a public forum?

Forget your theory Donatella, I'm a grandmother and am dreading becoming a great grandmother, give me dogs and cats anyday, I do not like kids.

From what I can observe in this thread, there seem to be two pretty clear cut arguments. People who don't like babies and can't understand why others don't understand this, and people who like babies and can't understand why other people don't.

A mother, or person who like babies, is never going to be able to convince someone who doesn't like babies that they are the most wonderful thing in the world and that there are a thousand and one reasons why it doesn't make sense not to like them. No matter how solid your argument appears in your head, sorry, it ain't gonna happen.

Someone who doesn't like babies is going to have a very hard time convincing a mother, or someone who likes babies, that their point is valid. They love their children and have experienced what I am sure only a parent can experience to make them think like this.

I'm quite confused as to why both parties are so worked up about forcing their opinions across. It's quite plain to see that this has become a verbal tennis match - back and forward, back and forward.

Who cares if someone thinks babies are the best thing since sliced bread? Who cares if someone thinks babies are blobs of festering smelliness? None of you are going to be able to convince each other otherwise. :laugh:

Opinions are great, but this really seems to have become a case of "No, you don't understand, let me prove my point!"

Just my two cents.

Well Liz, I bet you're now glad that woman on the plane asked to be moved otherwise you might have been stuck on a long haul flight with a sour bitch who did nothing but squirm in her seat, get up every 5 minutes to abuse the cabin crew, whinge about the inflight entertainment, food and booze, scream 'WE'RE GOING TO DIE' everytime there was turbulence and generally be a pain in the bum.

Totally disagree with this theory.

I am totally able to have kids and I don't like them. Well I assume that I could have had kids if I wanted to. My ability to have a child was never tested. My ex husband doesn't like kids either btw.

I disagree with the theory too.

Neither my OH or myself are real kid people and we are both able to have them.

I know a lot of people, male and female who have made a conscious choice not to procreate for many reasons.

Your level of insensitivity is mind boggling :mad

Guest Willow

Forget your theory Donatella, I'm a grandmother and am dreading becoming a great grandmother, give me dogs and cats anyday, I do not like kids.

Why are you dreading it Noelle? I'm not having a go, I'm genuinely curious...I've never come across someone who has admitted that! Did you enjoy your own children? Do your children know you dislike their children and their childrens children? Are you expected to act like a matriarch and put on a happy face, or can you just decline family invitations?