The Things We Do For Our Dogs...

So there I am - contemplating a number of Thursday evening options...

Quick drink after work with the guys - no it's been crap weather so want to get home as quickly as possible to make sure the Labs are OK..

Decide to cancel hairdressing appointment (see above)

Nix late night shopping for last minute birthday present for niece (see above)

So after a super quick work exit blaming the weather I bolt off home to be greeted by two bored and hypo Labs (in spite of the 90 minute work at 5 that morning)...

What to do - its humid / not raining - a walk is out as every man and his dog is out walking - and much easier with Tippi to be out and about without other dogs around..

I know - let them do their favourtie thing - swim in the pool and retrieve their water frisbees.... :idea:

So after much fun and frivolity (them) I decide to wind things up and am just walking round the pebble crete edge of the pool minding my own business and I see a flash of yellow and next minute I am underwater :mad

What the hell thinks me surfacing..... and the next thing i realise is that the water around me is tinged red and then the pain kicks in....

Did i mention the pain.....

Turns out in hindsight Tippi (who thinks she is really only 2kg ringing wet and so svelte) sidewsipes me i lose my footing and as I go down bang my thigh on the pool edge and slide down the pebblecrete into the pool taking off all the skin from my knee to my thigh...... OUCH

At least Tippi came back to check me out writhing around in pain on the ground and looked remotely sympathetic - Tango thought the blood was great - yay entree to dinner - and then had the gall to run around the pool and bark at me to throw his stupid frisbee in :mad

so sitting here this morning and just had to post bc I remembered reading a thread ages ago about human casulties from canine antics and thinking at the time I had doged that particular bullet - well not anymore :laugh:

Can anyone make me feel better this morning by their stories - since work made me come in and I really hope I bleed all over their stupid chairs.. PLUS

It's alot of fun trying to type balanced on one butt cheeck :swear:

Edit for any bad spelling - I blame the pain :(

Edited by Double Lab Love

I can't do it with nearly the turn of phrase that you do, but.......

I'm sure there is still a lady looking for a murdered man in the bush reserve near our place. I took the two dogs out for a run and they decided they needed to bolt down a hill at just the point where I slipped on some loose gravel. Cue Faceplant. Not cool.

Squealing, writhing in pain from a corked leg and with ego much dinted I looked up to see the two of them not really consoling me, but more pushing and prodding me to get up. The second I did they were off again....

Needless to say we don't run down hills any more. :rofl:

Thanks Guys !

You know that was always my fear about running down hills - as we run on a daily basis...

AND that would have hurt like hell Agility Dogs... I hurt the very same leg 10 years ago falling over on roller blades - had to pick the gravel out for a week :mad

Not fun...

But I never thought about the pool taking me out :(

Oh no!! You poor thing!

I often get tripped by the dogs, but the worst was when Lili headbutted my nose, I swear I was convinced it was broken, it wasn't, just very bloody :(

I also regularly get big scratches from Mo giving me his paw, his version of giving his paw is to whack you with it :rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh: I don't mean to laugh but can't help it!!

No massive injuries from Arby yet - though i did go to the chemist once with a sprained wrist from... bed room related activities ... when they asked me what happened i froze and muttered "i tripped over when i was playing with my puppy" :laugh: :laugh: The chemist lady laughed and said "oh dear, at least you're honest!" ... If only you knew lady...if only you knew! :rofl:

Sorry but had to have a giggle at your story...I do hope your on the mend quickly.

I hope you get a laugh out of my Story.

Went out to fill the dogs (GSDxKelpixKangabloodyroo) water bowl one night, as usual she was very excited and as I bent to place the bowl down she jumped hitting me in my Nose, Mouth, Face and all things above the shoulder. I came too on my back looking up at the stars through the Lemon tree Tasha was still leaping around wanting me to play. As I lived alone and I knew I had been out cold for quite a few minutes and was covered in blood I decided to call a friend.

Call went something like this " Hi Lil sorry to ring so late but can you come over I have cut my WIPPS :eek: and there is blood everywhere."

(You try and say Lips when they are swollen to three times the size)

Poor Lil arrived with a bag full of First Aid stuff that could have supplied a hospital.......lol

Poor girl thought I said I had Cut My Wrists and there was blood everywhere.......thank goodness she didn't call an ambulance before leaving home.

I still have a giggle about my Cut WIPPS ;)

This happened many many many years ago...thankfully I have learnt my lesson.

I still have the crutches the hospital gave me from the time mine and my brother's two Lab pups (5 & 6 months old) decided to play zoomies in the front yard... dodged the tree, dodged the mailbox... thought I'd move instead of them having to dodge me... they were wrong... ouch!

T.

I was walking my foster greyhound one day when he caught sight of a cocker spaniel puppy on the other side of the park. He went from about 3km/hr to the speed of light before I could even register that I was flat on my face being pulled across the park. I was dragged about 20-30m before letting go of the lead and jumping up to run after him. It was a long walk home with mud and grass embedded all through the front of my shirt, pants, face, hair.. everything. Horrible!

The poor puppy didn't know what hit her, cause the grey just appeared out of nowhere. She is fine though - now a lovely, well adjusted dog who I frequently see at my park. :laugh:

Oww...you poor thing. Glad you didn't slip and hit your head and fall in the pool or something really terrible like that.

My daughter came back from a run with our GSD, as she often does, but this one time her whole side had gravel rash and was bleeding. She had looked down at Clancy lovingly, he looked up at her, returning the sentiment, their eyes met, and he decided to 'kiss' her and they got their legs in a tangle and down she went.

Hope your leg heals quickly. :kissbetter:

:laugh: :laugh: I don't mean to laugh but can't help it!!

No massive injuries from Arby yet - though i did go to the chemist once with a sprained wrist from... bed room related activities ... when they asked me what happened i froze and muttered "i tripped over when i was playing with my puppy" :laugh: :laugh: The chemist lady laughed and said "oh dear, at least you're honest!" ... If only you knew lady...if only you knew! :rofl:

THAT is a classic

Mentally files away for future GP visits....

I have been bitten through my artery at my wrist whilst breaking up two dogs fighting. It was a lucky strike and really didn't hurt that much but my house was absolutely painted with blood. I had it stopped before the ambulance arrived.

Oh and I got liverpool kissed by a staffy on the weekend and that hurt like HECK.

Edited by Ams

I still have the crutches the hospital gave me from the time mine and my brother's two Lab pups (5 & 6 months old) decided to play zoomies in the front yard... dodged the tree, dodged the mailbox... thought I'd move instead of them having to dodge me... they were wrong... ouch!

T.

Lab zoomies NOT for the faint hearted :(

I feel your pain !!

Having had my two Lab ratbags from 8 weeks the minute Lab zoomies commence the only safe place is behind a very large barricade - although scaling a tree worked in one very memorable occassion :laugh:

Thanks so much for all your stories guys - I have had a good giggle :laugh:

Now at home - having a few painkillers - aka copious amounts of red wine - and feeling much better...

I have one very contrite Lab lying at my feet looking like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth....

Bless :)

Oh dear ... dog ownership should be classed as a contact sport ... :laugh:

... do we get photo's ... ;)

I'll say. :laugh:

I think the worse that has happened to me is once when we were living in Manildra I was out walking Gyps and she caught sight of a cat. We were walking on a gravel road and she was a husky... no guessing what happened. I had my first lesson in rock skiing. :eek: (the cat was fine, Gyps didn't even get close with me in tow :laugh: ) it was a proud moment though, as I did manage to stay on my feet. :rofl:

Then last year One night whilst out walking Loges, the grass was wet and I started running to beat Jack home (to the front gate) - I tripped at the front of next doors house and was dragged the rest of the journey home on my knees. :eek: Little Jack was with me and boy did we laugh! he thought it was hilarious. I still wonder if any of the neighbours saw us that night. :laugh:

Can I just say the photos would involve various parts of my anatomy that daylight ain't seen for a while :laugh:

So with respect to my fellow Dolers tender sentiments I will abstain - plus it's after dinner time for us east coasters and I would hate to have that on my conscience :D

I would suspect there is not enough red wine in the world to compensate :rofl:

i can cope with my bits being injured but try fronting the horsepital saying our large dalmatian bit the child... 13yo.

well it looked really bad and did need to be glued but the story goes like this....

child and myself at home (mr clydes at a lions meeting) had dinner and child and dog are wrestling round the floor rough housing and dumbmatian spins round mouth open (well he never closes it..) and crashed into the childs face... under his eye went the canine tooth. it opened up the face quite a good wound blood every where, but the noise was the worst, child screeming hysterically..... i nearly needing sticking plaster, over his mouth and my ears.

drive to the local horsepital, keeping in mind i have had many trips from falls off horses i have many "suspected fall from horse"... i get the "oh the dog bit him... well really much less sinister than that... teeth and face met in the middle" i think my file has yet another notation "suspected dog bite" :rofl: :rofl:

it then required a trip to maccas for ice cream. ;)