Ok To Advertise Puppies In The Classifieds?

puppies online classifieds ok or not?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok for an ANKC registered breeder to advertise their puppies in online classifieds?

• yes
    • no
    • maybe - depends why
    • other

I had a brindle puppy left out of my litter of 11, no one wanted him of course because he was not the preferred colour, everyone wants fawns...me i'm a brindle lover!

Anyhow i had my add on Dogzonline but decided to put an add on Gumtree and Tradepost (Oh dear everyone cringe now!!!) BUT i found the BEST home for that puppy via one of those adds, he couldn't be in a better place so very happy. Of course you do get alot of dicky enquiries aswell but that is easy to sort out.

Just my two cents, advertise where ever you like, got to mix it up a little and not everyone looks on Dogzonline.

Hannah

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a while I kept a waiting list - what a pain.You end up with up to 100 names which you have already had to do a primary screen of ,then when puppies are born and you start to go through them most if not all are sick of waiting and have gone elsewhere .You cant just write recipes for puppies , you dont know what sex you will get or what markings in most breeds and when people put their name on a waiting list they start to think they have a chance at a puppy - most times they are disappointed if that doesn't happen.

Now I only consider putting someone on the list if they already have one of my dogs .I've found some of the best homes ever from advertising in places the RSPCA say don't look and those over the years who have been a pain have not come from these ads.

I know breeders who have sold their puppies to pet shops without papers in order to avoid advertising in places like this in case their peers see them as slack for breeding a dog without already having a home for it and again the advice from the RSPCA on how to buy a puppy disadvantages the small breeder who doesn't breed often enough to want to have a steady stream of puppy buyers rather than simply advertise when they have them.

People who advertise and are involved in the sale are being responsible for finding them a new home and much better than the alternative where they just expect someone with puppies should be found by esp and left unable to find homes for them - creating un wanted puppies. the breeder still has the final say and te buyer has the option of looking before they buy if they want to.

There are unintended consequences to many things the RSPCA decide they want to include and it simply demonstrates that they haven't consulted with or have much of an idea of what hobby breeders do.

I guess the classfied is just a tool and isn't a direct reflection on who uses it or why. A bit like computers and the internet generally.

This.

I have always advertised on online classifieds, breeder websites and even in the local rag. Even at times if I don't have any puppies for sale.

If the reputable and responsible breeder doesn't get out there and "mix it" with the backyarders and general idiots then you are really just letting them get a toehold in the "market" and not leaving Joe Q with any options.

I try to use MOST (most because not all people are receptive once they have made up their minds) opportunities to explain that their puppy should have certain health testing done, should have had specific health treatments, be microchipped and have been reared properly. I have always felt that it was important to educate and if I can speak to just one Joe Q and try to give them food for thought and that one person rethinks their plans to buy an "oodle" a "doodle" or a BYB puppy...then I have accomplished something.

And with regards to having buyers lined up prior to a litter. Sometimes this is the case, sometimes not. The important thing however is that I breed to KEEP and not to sell. Once I have decided what I am keeping out of my litter, then I MAY have a puppy or two looking for a good forever home. After 26 years of breeding however, one thing I know is that you can have 15 prospective homes lined up, have a litter of 5 puppies born and you will invariably STILL be looking for homes for one, maybe two of the puppies. Sh!t happens in the real world and things change for people so Jane Doe who was SUPER DUPER keen on a puppy from you may have lost her job, house, grandma or whatever and is no longer in the market for a puppy. That's life.

I voted "YES"

But only because there isn't an option for "HELL YES!"

No point in us all banging on about the need for puppy buyers to source their dogs from responsible breeders unless they can find said breeders.

Personally I think ads that contrast good breeders pups from the rest are the go. I'd be doing something like this:

Purebred pedigreed Whippet pups from health tested parents. Happy, healthy male and females in a range of colours. Pups will come wormed, vaccinated, microchipped and with 6 weeks free pet insurance. Breeder offers ongoing support for buyers. $1,000.

How much better would that be than:

Whipet pups $450.

For a start it gives buyers an idea of what things their pups SHOULD come with. And getting price out of the way deals with tyre kickers and lets buyers know what they are in for.

Edited by Telida Whippets

After 26 years of breeding however, one thing I know is that you can have 15 prospective homes lined up, have a litter of 5 puppies born and you will invariably STILL be looking for homes for one, maybe two of the puppies.

Ain't that the truth!

I think yes, the more the average Joe realises that they have this option (ANKC v BYB) of buying a registered pup over a pup of questionable breeding the better...

There is the sweetest ANKC female amstaffy on Facebook at the moment. She is on main register and the last of her litter...

I have to be honest,mic the new foster pup did not come up, I was seriously thinking about her...

I voted yes - why not make responsibly bred quality puppies available to the average person? Lots of people who are able to provide dogs with a wonderful pet home for life will buy their dogs from the paper, it would be a good thing to at least make this option more easily available to them.

I voted yes - why not make responsibly bred quality puppies available to the average person? Lots of people who are able to provide dogs with a wonderful pet home for life will buy their dogs from the paper, it would be a good thing to at least make this option more easily available to them.

Couldn't agree more. I keep meeting decent pet owners who either !1) think pet people can't buy from 'show' breeders or !2) don't know how to find registered breeders of purebreds.

I think any advertising should include a caution that suitable matching homes are sought. So that people are warned in advance that it's not just a case of handing over money to get a dog.

Also it wouldn't hurt to say that the breeder abides by the ethical code of behaviour required by their registering body....the particular Kennel Association.

Just a caution, too, that many good pet owners aren't familiar with what words like 'registered' and 'papers' actually mean in relation to purebreds.

I'd also like some generic ads placed in The Classifieds, directing people looking for purebreds as pets to the excellent Dogzonline Purebred Community website. There's a treasure-house of information, links to registered breeders and puppy & mature dog listings.

Edited by mita

I bought my registered Schipperke in the early 1980's through the Age Classifeds. I don't know what other options were available back then though. :confused:

More recently (just over 4 years ago), I purchased our first Cavalier from a Registered Breeder through the Trading Post. I was just looking for a family pet, and truth be told, really wasn't hugely concerned, at the time, as to whether it was registered or not. I knew so little about health testing, but because I stumbled across a Purebred Registered Breeder, who was open and honest and explained much to me about the health status of the breed it set me on the path I continue on today.

Situations change. A "waiting list" is only as good as the money in the bank. I have had puppy buyers oh so serious,I want one of your puppies, prepared to wait (8 weeks) only to turn around a week or less later and say they bought one from XYZ.

There are permament ads on DOL by some breeders for puppies. They have litters on the go all year round.

If registered breeders do not advertise in the same places as the BYB's then how can we as registered breeders compete on an even footing. The canine bodies really do little or nothing to promote pedigree dogs out in the community. Only those with big wallets can afford to advertise in their journals. And that only goes to CCC members. Most of our pets go to mum, dad and the 2.5 children families.

As long as the registered breeders are doing the right thing, then who cares where they advertise? As long as those puppies go to loving good homes and are not exploited.

I was actually one of the 4 people who voted 'No'.

Just spend a few minutes browsing Gumtree and you will see dozens of puppy mill dogs. There is no way to weed out the ANKC dogs vs the puppy mill ones. People are already giving fake microchip numbers now that the rule has come in so what's to stop them giving fake ANKC membership numbers as well?

Local newspapers or more legitimate places like DOL or personal websites are fine but I don't think those online classified sites should even be allowed to advertise animals at all.

If I was to breed again I'd have to use the classifieds because I am no longer a member of the Vic Whippet Association. I remember they used to be very critical of anyone advertising in papers, and said they're not responsible breeders. I dont know why, you still ask all the same questions, well, I would.

At least if some ANKC breeders also advertise on the likes of Gumtree or Petlink, then hopefully some unsuspecting puppy buyer may be able to compare a fully health tested puppy with papers etc to a "purebred" mutt who may if you are lucky be vaccinated or wormed. If the price is similar, I am hoping (maybe falsely) the person will choose the ANKC breeder who is giving more for their dollar.

I get puppy buyers who enquire that know nothing about the breed, the problems, what they should be looking at paying and what they are getting for their money. If breeders take the time to explain, there is a good chance they will look at ANKC rather than "purebred". Some still think papers just mean a snotty nosed uppercrust attitude for showing only. Not understand all the other work many ANKC breeders put into their breeding program to hopefully ensure quality animals are produced.

The pedigree dog fraternity need to advertise - in many forms and as often as possible - its not just about selling puppies - it is about getting the world of pure bred dogs back to the public.

This

I voted "YES"

But only because there isn't an option for "HELL YES!"

No point in us all banging on about the need for puppy buyers to source their dogs from responsible breeders unless they can find said breeders.

Personally I think ads that contrast good breeders pups from the rest are the go. I'd be doing something like this:

Purebred pedigreed Whippet pups from health tested parents. Happy, healthy male and females in a range of colours. Pups will come wormed, vaccinated, microchipped and with 6 weeks free pet insurance. Breeder offers ongoing support for buyers. $1,000.

How much better would that be than:

Whipet pups $450.

For a start it gives buyers an idea of what things their pups SHOULD come with. And getting price out of the way deals with tyre kickers and lets buyers know what they are in for.

And this!

Like alpha bet said, it's not just about finding good homes for individual puppies, it's about raising awareness of pedigree purebred dogs as a "brand" and "selling" the benefits to the public, exactly like Telida said.

The more exposure of the "brand" and the associated terminology, not so much just registered, registered pedigree purebred, health tested etc etc (as per Telida's eg above) the more the public would see these dogs as a realistic, and eventually hopefully the best, option for buying a puppy. As has been said again and again the general public don't know and/or aren't necessarily interested in the ANKC code of ethics and associated breeding practices as it relates to them getting a puppy but most pet buyers are interested in the welfare of animals and good value for them.

I was actually one of the 4 people who voted 'No'.

Just spend a few minutes browsing Gumtree and you will see dozens of puppy mill dogs. There is no way to weed out the ANKC dogs vs the puppy mill ones. People are already giving fake microchip numbers now that the rule has come in so what's to stop them giving fake ANKC membership numbers as well?

Local newspapers or more legitimate places like DOL or personal websites are fine but I don't think those online classified sites should even be allowed to advertise animals at all.

The argument that bad breeders advertise on these sites so ANKC breeders shouldn't advertise in the same space is a false economy. If all the ANKC breeders advertised in the same spaces then more people will see their ads.

For those who do not care about papers, health testing or anything else, post ad's like this onto the free websites and are really no competition. But at the end of the day, these are the ones we need the welfare organisations to start targeting!!!!!

G'day. Our family is chasing a Border collie pup, or Blue/red Heeler. Around brisbane would be great, but could travel pending location. Would prefer if they were giveaway/free. They don't have to be microchiped or wormed. We can get that done ourself.

If you have something suitable. Email me. Our daughter would love you for giving us another member of our family!

or this:

I'm looking to either buy a male border collie pup or a border collie stud to breed with my female border collie. Must be pure bred, and if a stud - with papers. If you have pups for sale I will also need to view parents and possibly get the pup a blood test done. I'm located in Upper Coomera, an willing to travel to view/pickup. Would prefer a pup that we can buy. Very interested in a tan Border Collie rather than standard black and white but either is fine. Thanks.
Hi There

i am after a female border not desexed

we will offer her a great home we are on 7 acres in the dural area .we already have a male border to share our lovely home with

for free would be great or under $200

desperately seeking one

Looking for male border collie chocolate or wheaten to breed with our female border collie Nellie, she is a (pure bred) 3yr old chocolate Border Collie who we know will make a great mum!! :)

For those who do not care about papers, health testing or anything else, post ad's like this onto the free websites and are really no competition. But at the end of the day, these are the ones we need the welfare organisations to start targeting!!!!!

G'day. Our family is chasing a Border collie pup, or Blue/red Heeler. Around brisbane would be great, but could travel pending location. Would prefer if they were giveaway/free. They don't have to be microchiped or wormed. We can get that done ourself.

If you have something suitable. Email me. Our daughter would love you for giving us another member of our family!

or this:

I'm looking to either buy a male border collie pup or a border collie stud to breed with my female border collie. Must be pure bred, and if a stud - with papers. If you have pups for sale I will also need to view parents and possibly get the pup a blood test done. I'm located in Upper Coomera, an willing to travel to view/pickup. Would prefer a pup that we can buy. Very interested in a tan Border Collie rather than standard black and white but either is fine. Thanks.
Hi There

i am after a female border not desexed

we will offer her a great home we are on 7 acres in the dural area .we already have a male border to share our lovely home with

for free would be great or under $200

desperately seeking one

Looking for male border collie chocolate or wheaten to breed with our female border collie Nellie, she is a (pure bred) 3yr old chocolate Border Collie who we know will make a great mum!! :)

*Shudder*