Grooming A Longcoat Gsd

Pockets

Hi Show people :wave:

I have a couple of longcoats that will be shown this year and wanting some tips on grooming and the sort of equipment I will need.

We dont really need to so much with the shortcoats :)

Also after some tips on grooming the feet?

Would imagine the grooming would be similar to any other longcoated breed, but I have never shown a coat before , so any help is appreciated :)

The Longcoat has recently been accepted Clyde. Read more here if interested: http://www.ankc.org.au/News.aspx?id=369

Do they grow untidy/tufty bits on feet Pockets?

With most coated breeds, especially if you're doing little to no trimming, thinning scissors are your best friend. Much more forgiving, and very handy for thinning down or trimming off any unruly lumps or odd bits.

I had noticed last night one of the pups now 4 months does have what I think untidy feet :laugh:

Clyde - As per Aloshas comments LC's (with undercoat) are now an accepted breed variety. They will compete in their own breed classes.

This has been in most dogs magazines now at least twice :)

Edited by Pockets

Guess you will need to see what the fashion will be in longcoat presentation, the hair is there for a purpose, but probably enough is enough, hate hairy feet myself but some breeds require them

I have trimmed feet of pet GSD longcoats in the past. Any Group 5 person who shows trimmed footed dogs eg Border Collies, Aussies should be able to help you and advise on scissors. You may need to tidy front and rear pasterns too, gently does it, degree of trimming depends on amount of hair, quality of feet and amount of bone and what illusion you want to present. Best to play around with puppy anyway so it gets used to trimming, even if you only pretend..................and a good fine metal comb will do wonders, feet shed too!!!

Thanks so much for the reply, pups are used to being groomed and nails trimmed as I have always done it with the short coats....this longcoat thing is all new to me, especially trimming! :laugh:

Guess you will need to see what the fashion will be in longcoat presentation, the hair is there for a purpose, but probably enough is enough, hate hairy feet myself but some breeds require them

I have trimmed feet of pet GSD longcoats in the past. Any Group 5 person who shows trimmed footed dogs eg Border Collies, Aussies should be able to help you and advise on scissors. You may need to tidy front and rear pasterns too, gently does it, degree of trimming depends on amount of hair, quality of feet and amount of bone and what illusion you want to present. Best to play around with puppy anyway so it gets used to trimming, even if you only pretend..................and a good fine metal comb will do wonders, feet shed too!!!

As they haven't really been shown before it may be very much a 'wait and see' type situation. I wouldn't be going overboard and would probably keep things fairly 'natural' at first. You will want to maintain the GSD typical outline I would think ?? though with a bit more 'mane'?)

I would trim feet (trim hair on bottom of foot level with pad. fluff up tufts between toes on top and trim to shape of foot - to end of toenails, not toes! many people use thinners for this, though I like to use curved scissors personally - use thinners if you are unsure of your scissoring skills). Perhaps go ask someone with Pyreneans, Leonbergers and the like to show you what they do if you are unsure).

For the rest of the coat, I would probaby use similar type/colour shampoos to your short coated dogs, but would blowdry, brushing the coat forward as you do so, then brushing it back with a pin brush at the end to lie in the normal coat direction, but with some 'body'. Only other place I may tidy at first may be whispy bits behind the ears which I may thin a bit with either thinners or a stone. But I would go easy on that at first as it is better to leave it than take off too much.

Hope that helps, and of course this is only a few thoughts based on grooming long coated breeds like Pyreneans/Leonbergers and not GSD etc and I am sure others may have other things they can add or may disagree!. Have fun!! :thumbsup:

Edited by espinay2

I had noticed last night one of the pups now 4 months does have what I think untidy feet :laugh:

Clyde - As per Aloshas comments LC's (with undercoat) are now an accepted breed variety. They will compete in their own breed classes.

This has been in most dogs magazines now at least twice :)

:laugh: I've never read a dog magazine in my life - DOL is enough for me! I have always loved/preferred the long coats. Curious what the general consensus is for 'old time' breeders? I can't imagine it would be too popular?

As mentioned above, I would use thinning scissors. Contact a local groomer and ask if you can be shown how to do it properly. Well worth being taught properly, rather than trying to figure it out on your own. A neat foot is a wondrous thing :D

Thanks for the tips, yes was pretty much thinking the only trimming for neatening purposes would be the ears, back of the legs, hocks, feet and maybe the tail :) the rest will just be stock standard shepherd grooming :)

I love Espinay's advice.

The only thing I've found with the hocks and pasterns, sometimes less trimming is more as if trimmed too far back it can give the illusion of a lack of bone in those areas. I comb hock fluff back and neaten unruly or tufty bits but rarely take it right off.

We need photos too... I'm so excited about seeing the longhairs in the ring!! :D

I have profiles for the two girls, no stacked shots as yet...

Avahlee Girls Keep Secrets

Avahlee Secrets and Lies

Hoping to have some fun with them this year :) first shows are ovens valley in March/April

I love Espinay's advice.

The only thing I've found with the hocks and pasterns, sometimes less trimming is more as if trimmed too far back it can give the illusion of a lack of bone in those areas. I comb hock fluff back and neaten unruly or tufty bits but rarely take it right off.

We need photos too... I'm so excited about seeing the longhairs in the ring!! :D

Agree less is more for hocks and pasterns and I personally wouldnt touch the tail. I rarely touch these though may shape up VERY slightly from the back of foot. Be VERY careful of doing too much as it can look horrid.

Looking forward to photos too :D

HI Pockets cant wait to see LC in the ring will be interesting to see if they will be scissored.

I would think they would be brushed and the feet trimmed.

I will have to keep an eye out to see if there will be a list for grooming.

I show long coat White Swiss, and we do not trim at all. Part of being a long coat is their furnishings, so they stay. :)

The only thing I would scissor is excessive hair on the bottoms of their feet.

Edited by EISHUND

I show long coat White Swiss, and we do not trim at all. Part of being a long coat is their furnishings, so they stay. :)

The only thing I would scissor is excessive hair on the bottoms of their feet.

Agreed I would only scissor the coat under the pad.