Irish Native Breeds On Television

Sheridan

The Late, Late Show in Ireland Friday night had a promo for the St Patrick's Day show in Dublin on 17 March. They had representatives of all the Irish native dog breeds. The Irish Kennel Club is now aiming to have the native breeds get a heritage listing.

:thumbsup: Thankyou for sharing this, my husband is from Waterford in Ireland and he thoroughly enjoyed this video as well.

Here in Adelaide with march, my husband marches in the Munster province, they usually have the Irish breeds, mainly the Wolfhound in the St. Patrick's Day march, it is a sight to see.

Beautiful dogs gorgeous breeds, loved the Glen of Imaal sitting on his haunches.

:thumbsup: Thankyou for sharing this, my husband is from Waterford in Ireland and he thoroughly enjoyed this video as well.

Here in Adelaide with march, my husband marches in the Munster province, they usually have the Irish breeds, mainly the Wolfhound in the St. Patrick's Day march, it is a sight to see.

Beautiful dogs gorgeous breeds, loved the Glen of Imaal sitting on his haunches.

Ah, the glen sit. I think all glens must do that.

Pretty cute little scruffers, Mags. I've been reading up on them - more docile than usual for a terrier? Gee that would be a pleasant surprise. :rofl:

There's around 8 of them in Australia now. Don't know that they're more docile. The Irish terrier breeds seem particularly attached to people so that may be it. People say that wheatens are less terrier-like than most terriers but I've never seen any evidence of this. Certainly, every wheaten I've met has been more terrier-like rather than less :laugh: so docility might be along the same lines ... :D

Kerry blues have the reputation of being firey but in that vid, it's the irish that's on its toes all the time.

I think The Late, Late Show has a good audience in Ireland so I hope it has some positive outcomes for the breeds in their native country.

Edited by Sheridan

Yep I noticed he looked pretty fiesty, Sheridan. Handsome dog. Nicely stripped, too. I was thinking the Irish and the kerry looked pretty small next to the Glen, but the Glens are actually bigger than I thought. I was thinking more like Norwich height.

The sit is great. When I was watching your link I wondered how the handler would feel in the show ring :rofl:

Very cute dogs.

Interesting to see the difference between Irish and American Wheatens in coat styles. You and I have discussed this before but I was told by a terrier man years ago that the American style of presenting the Wheatens is totally against what the Irish intended.

Very cool, thanks for sharing! I really love the Irish terriers I have met, we have two at my agility club and they are very nice dogs- one goes to school with her owner and spends the day relaxing with her owner! We also have a Kerry Blue at my club, another very nice dog :)