Showing For Dummies

zeebie

Hi all,

I know if I had time to troll through all the topics and replies in this section of the show ring I would probably have all my questions answered.

does anyone know if there is a book/books/DVD/ internet resource applicable to Australian shows on the A-Z of show ring Etiquette. Seems there is always someone (like me) about to step into the show ring for the very first time with their dog and if there isn't a good resource then maybe I have a best seller and better start taking notes. :)

I have competed in obedience trials and agility and many many years ago handled dogs for someone else under their direction. So have some basics of what to do, still all the dogs I have been involved with were much older and very disciplined. Handling a brand new puppy is a whole new world and I have NO idea what to expect in baby puppy class. I can honestly say at the time I was showing boxers I never even watched a baby puppy/puppy or minor class - bad me ;)

I do intend to have fun with her that is my number one priority, 3 questions, Is there any restrictions/rules re what you can and can't use for baiting dogs? Like squeaky toys are an absolute NO NO in the agility world as they cause distraction to other dogs. and 2nd question Puppy is currently grabbing lead with mouth and carrying it will this be a major problem, she walks beautifully in a small not obvious harness (very thick coat covers) but the martingale lead is proving a challenge, is it absolutely mandatory to use a collared type lead, she has good head carriage with harness, and is only 13 weeks old for this coming show. Tail at this stage is a no go zone as she dislikes having it held so will just let her merrily wag away and work on this one, not use to having dog with tails either - but so glad they do now.

Finally can someone point me in direction of best place to purchase banding wrap or can you use specific substitute.

I was fortunate as Dogs Victoria has a library available to the members so I visited and checked out their resources. My local library also is part of a cluster of libraries so I was able to borrow some books on showing dogs, such as Show Me: a dog-showing primer, The Winning Edge, Showing your dog; a beginners guide and quite a number of others.

I can't remember exactly which books I found the most helpful but some provided more relevant information than others. Some I borrowed were breed specific - how to prepare a particular breed for the ring.

I did end up photocopying some pages from one specific book that I found very helpful - only problem is I didn't note either the title or author.

Edited by Vacuna

No harness. But a bit of mucking up/mouthing the lead won't worry too many people in baby puppy.

Better a happy baby than a a stressed handler or a dog that learns to hate the ring.

Don't do what I did and forget all your obedience nous the minute you get to the show ring. The final product you want is different, but the training process uses the same principles, and even better you can use food (judiciously) to lure and reinforce in the show ring. I'm not sure about squeeky toys, they aren't the go in my breed. And I've never seen an Australian book on showing, just a few online resoruces and overseas books.

Edited by Diva

There's a lot of good local info in the pinned thread and there is no Australian book, so if it were me I would make the time to read it.

The canine controls each publish basic information on showing. Some also run classes for newbies.

The book with the best advice on etiquette and politics for newbies is Caroline Coile's "Show Me" which has a very good chapter titled "The Secret of Success" towards the end of the book. She's North American but her advice about that stuff applies everywhere.

Pat Hastings "Tricks of the Trade" is also worth a read, again, an American book.

Thanks everyone this has been amazingly helpful, and since posting we have had a little break through with trotting nicely without attacking lead and also our stacking has suddenly clicked with a preferred treat and a hand signal to re enforce. I have seen heaps of You tube antics and tantrums by handlers not the puppies LOL :laugh: And will be taking a light hearted approach this coming w/e and see where we go from there after all I think she will be by far the youngest puppy on the day at only 13 weeks :D She is a social butterfly and so outgoing thanks to the example set by my older obedience expert, master of dog psychology and human controlling canine companion. I wonder if there is any rule to say that a handler has to be a human maybe I could set a precedent and suit him up and send him out there to take her round, he is excelelnt with sign language so I could cue him from the sidelines :laugh:

Will still keep the book option in my sights ;)

I do intend to have fun with her that is my number one priority, 3 questions, Is there any restrictions/rules re what you can and can't use for baiting dogs? Like squeaky toys are an absolute NO NO in the agility world as they cause distraction to other dogs. and 2nd question Puppy is currently grabbing lead with mouth and carrying it will this be a major problem, she walks beautifully in a small not obvious harness (very thick coat covers) but the martingale lead is proving a challenge, is it absolutely mandatory to use a collared type lead, she has good head carriage with harness, and is only 13 weeks old for this coming show. Tail at this stage is a no go zone as she dislikes having it held so will just let her merrily wag away and work on this one, not use to having dog with tails either - but so glad they do now.

Finally can someone point me in direction of best place to purchase banding wrap or can you use specific substitute.

Squeaky toys can be and are used by some in the show ring. If there is a show vendor at the show you attend you could check out the small and pocket squeakies in stock. Usually they are put in your pocket and used to get the dogs attention and stimulate animation when required.

Discourage her from grabbing the lead in her mouth but don't be overly worried about it - I have a nearly three year old who occasionally grabs the lead in his mouth when he is in an exhuberant mood. As I have had a pup wear through a lead by biting it. I discourage that behaviour as it can be hard to replace your favourite lead.

Harness aren't really suitable for the show ring as they visually distract from the outline of the dog. Constant wearing of them can also lead to damage the show coat so best to stick to a lead. You would only need a light lead for a puppy (presuming it is a small to medium size dog) - I tend to start mine off on a kindness lead - they have a piece of soft material which goes under the neck of the dog. This type of lead is soft on the neck, provides control but still allows a nice neck and head carriage.

With regard to banding supplies - check out the show vendor. There are lots of online stores but I tend to get mine at the shows. Once you know what you favour you can then shop around online.

As stated in an earlier post I read some very good books about grooming specific breeds for the show ring. If I am guessing right and your new pup is of the poodle variety and you would like the names of the books and their author just PM me and I will give you the details. Being relatively new to the show ring myself I found them really helpful to read even though they weren't Australian ones.

Good luck on the weekend!!!

• 2 months later...

a book for newbies specific to Oz would be great!

Id buy it for sure :thumbsup:

Until then I will just keep on asking the numpty question here :D

There is one!! I can't remember the name but it is advertised in Dog News. I believe it is an Oz version of Show Me. You can buy that anyway. The usa isms (?) are easy to work around and its only about 12$.

Meea

a book for newbies specific to Oz would be great!

Id buy it for sure :thumbsup:

Until then I will just keep on asking the numpty question here :D

There is one!! I can't remember the name but it is advertised in Dog News. I believe it is an Oz version of Show Me. You can buy that anyway. The usa isms (?) are easy to work around and its only about 12$.

Meea

oh thats great, I will check it out, Ive got a Dog News around here somewhere :o