Decision To Rehome Or Not?

mumsy

I don't see what's the problem with responsibly re-homing a dog. Horse owners do it all the time and no-one questions it. Sometimes one has to go many years and own a lot of different horses before they get the right one. They may want one that's better at showjumping, or better at dressage, endurance or whatever. A certain horse may be a great horse but not suited to what the owner may have wanted to do with it...therefor selling it on to a more suitable home. Same with dogs...if the dog just doesn't suit you then I can't see problem with re-homing it?

Can't help being cynical here, because the phrase is so often used by breeders - but instead of 'rehoming' the dog, couldn't they just look for a 'forever home' for it? :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can compare dogs and horses in this context.

My horse lives in a paddock without me, for 20, sometimes 22 hours a day. My dog lives inside my house with me, travels in the car with me (if I am going somewhere she can come to) and visits friends and relatives with me.

My horse spends most of his day with other horses, not people. My dog is with me almost all the time.

There are more differences, and the lines get rather blurry when it comes to work and such, but how many people realistically need or want their dog to do a job? Most horses have a job and many people would not own a horse if they didn't ride or drive it...

I also feel that a dog is a lifetime commitment and wouldn't feel comfortable "selling it like a horse" (then again, I probably wouldn't sell my horses either, except for very special circumstances).

In my opinion, even an older horse, so long as it is healthy, good t handle and can be ridden, should be able to find a home. But how many people will willingly buy an older dog, unless they are looking for a dog to breed or want to purchase an already trained dog to do a job (herding, personal protection etc)? In my experience most people will choose a pup, or at least a young dog, rather than an older one, despite any advantages an older dog may have (already toilet trained etc)

Anyway, I suppose I am going off topic here. My bad.

BlackJaq:

My horse lives in a paddock without me, for 20, sometimes 22 hours a day. My dog lives inside my house with me, travels in the car with me (if I am going somewhere she can come to) and visits friends and relatives with me.

My horse spends most of his day with other horses, not people. My dog is with me almost all the time.

Substitute the word "dog" for "horse" and "backyard" for "paddock" and you've just described the lives of many of Australia's pet dogs.

Not saying that's the case in this instance but its the reality for a lot of dogs with one often worse factor - they live alone.

Edited by Telida Whippets

Well, in those cases you can hardly call those dogs "pets", they are more yard ornaments than anything else, and most people who keep their dogs like this do not mind getting rid of a pesky, destructive yard ornament and replacing it with a new one every six months.

However, I am not opposed to rehoming dogs in all circumstances, but I have kept a dog I did not feel a true bond with for over two years, until she died of a snake bite, and the dog seemed happy and I took the same care of her as any other dog, bond or no, because I felt responsible for this older dog and didn't believe she was going to find another home easily.

I just think that people need to be very thoughtful about the whole process and sometimes, if the dog may be difficult to rehome due to age, health or similar factors, if it is not causing them any trouble and they can afford to keep it, some people may need to buck up and face the responsibility.

I don't see what's the problem with responsibly re-homing a dog. Horse owners do it all the time and no-one questions it. Sometimes one has to go many years and own a lot of different horses before they get the right one. They may want one that's better at showjumping, or better at dressage, endurance or whatever. A certain horse may be a great horse but not suited to what the owner may have wanted to do with it...therefor selling it on to a more suitable home. Same with dogs...if the dog just doesn't suit you then I can't see problem with re-homing it?

Can't help being cynical here, because the phrase is so often used by breeders - but instead of 'rehoming' the dog, couldn't they just look for a 'forever home' for it? :)

I hate that phrase "forever home" in the real world there is no such thing as a forever home. There are so many ways the circumstances could change...including death, and no one can control that.