Recurring Diarrhea

So today for about the 4th time I am taking my youngest to the vet for diarrhea that keeps recurring, when he gets it my adult dog will also have the squirts for a day or so. Nothing ever shows up in the stool sample tests. I am now over taking him to the vet every 6 weeks, he gets given Flagyl, it stops and repeat whole cycle again. Now I cannot do too many invasive tests at the moment as he is having elbow surgery next week but any thoughts comments? He is 8 months old in 3 days and this started at about 12 weeks.

Guest lavendergirl

Food related do you think? Have you tried regular yoghurt or other probiotic supplement? Sounds like the bacteria is regrowing after the effects of the Flagyl wears off - sorry don't have any other ideas. Hope things improve.

Yup he is on Protexin at the moment! But we only started it about 2,5 weeks ago. I am also trying to change him on to the Royal Canin Hypoallergenic to see if it makes a difference but need to wait until stomach is stable. Also he will go 3 or 4 days where I'm feeding him chicken and sweet potato, all seems normal and then he gets the runs again

Edited by Mason_Gibbs

Could it be that your yard/environment is reinfecting them? I would have thought that something like giardia would show up in the tests but maybe not?

Do they go swimming? Eat bird poo? Clam shell pool?

I'd suggest perhaps looking at his diet.

I have had rescue greyhounds who, though wouldn't get diarrhoea, would get very loose stools on occasions on some brands of dry. I normally find these dogs do well on raw food. For example, I've had two greys who would have unpleasant stools (and farts!) on Advance dry, but had lovely firm stools consistently on raw food. One of these greys did well on "Uncle Albers" (for whatever reason!!) and raw. The other one I haven't been in touch with, but I hope they continued with raw or found something that worked for him.

Another thing to look at is any other products you may be using - Frontline? Advocate? Anything else? Sometimes these can cause diarrhoea, too.

Could it be that your yard/environment is reinfecting them? I would have thought that something like giardia would show up in the tests but maybe not?

They do go swimming at the beach and at a lake, the lake does have ducks on it but my friends dogs come with each time and none of them have ever had the runs. They also do have a clam shell pool but it's cleaned out regularly, weird thing is older dog will have it for a day but the younger one will get the runs for like 2 weeks.

They do go swimming at the beach and at a lake, the lake does have ducks on it but my friends dogs come with each time and none of them have ever had the runs. They also do have a clam shell pool but it's cleaned out regularly, weird thing is older dog will have it for a day but the younger one will get the runs for like 2 weeks.

My younger girl has a much more sensitive tummy than my boy. The only thing she had that she gave to him, she was sick for 2 weeks and he was fine after 2 days. He has eaten absolutely disgusting things before (for example a whole bird skeleton) but simple things like bird/cat poo, stale water or old bones give my girl the runs without fail.

I pour boiling water over the spots they have been, if either of them has diarrhea, just in case. Not sure if it does much...

Until you can find the cause ... try also adding some pumpkin to the diet. I usually cook a chicken breast and some pumpkin together ... my guys love it.

My youngest gets the runs when he has been running around a lot or is over excited ... he is also sensitive to beef and grains.

Worth checking if occurrences are fairly evenly spaced ..then ask someone what nasties have a cycle like that ..or work out what happens at home, or in the park around that time ..spraying/fertilising/cleaning/mowing by council or private people.... ?

Sounds like giardia to me, do the dogs usually develop diarrhoea following rain? Most dogs carry giardia at some time during their lives, but very few develop major symptoms, young dogs are far more susceptible to it than adults. Try dosing them with Panacur, treat for three consecutive days and then again ten days later, that should clear it up.