Head Of The Piaa Caught In The Act.

Steve Austin is one of the most well known dog trainers in Australia. I doubt you'll get many negative opinions.

But there are heaps of negative opinions and just because someone is well known doesnt make whatever they

do acceptable

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a problem with feral animals & it has to be considered what are the most humane methods to cull.

But I agree with PS & Bartok, I find a photo of someone so relishing their 'kill' distasteful & disturbing.

If you are a lover of native marsupials, my guess is you'd be grinning too. :shrug:

That photo is evidence that the use of dogs to track and assist with the elimination of feral cats WORKS. I'd find that something to celebrate.

See my later posts. You've guessed wrongly about my emotional responses. I have no problem with the need. I don't grin over a body I've killed, however necessary. Evidence can be presented in dispassionate means. It's a necessity....

The photo is disturbing. Many feral animals are problematic in Australia and need to be culled to keep things in balance. But someone in a position such as that standing there wearing a grin while holding up a dead cat with a rope tied around its neck conjures up the wrong image. A dead cat, feral or domestic is hardly a hunting prize. I would feel the same if he was holding up a wild rabbit or a large marlin. What is there to show off about killing?

Edited to add I don't know if it is a friend or the head of the PIAA holding the cat but it is still inappropriate and not necessary.

So we want it to happen, we just don't want to see it?

Yes. We want lots of things, but don't want them shoved in our face.

We want to eat meat, but don't want/need to see the cow slaughtered.

See my later posts. You've guessed wrongly about my emotional responses. I have no problem with the need. I don't grin over a body I've killed, however necessary. Evidence can be presented in dispassionate means. It's a necessity....

Who says its "evidence"? Someone's grabbed a shot in God knows what context and now its being used here to attempt to discredit Steve Austin. I'm not a fan but I don't agree that smiling for a camera with proof of the success of your latest feral animal eradication project is a cardinal sin.

Edited by Telida Whippets

So we want it to happen, we just don't want to see it?

We don't want it to happen, we need it to happen, that feral animals be culled.

When presented with 'seeing' it, I don't like the person brandishing a dead body and relishing what they've done.

That is not a necessary part of the culling to personalise it, in such a distasteful way.

God forbid people involved in programs to eliminate feral pests should take pride in their work.

I have no problem with a sense of achievement. I do have a problem with someone relishing killing, however necessary.

God forbid, a person might exercise some rationality.

There is a problem with feral animals & it has to be considered what are the most humane methods to cull.

But I agree with PS & Bartok, I find a photo of someone so relishing their 'kill' distasteful & disturbing.

Relishing?????? That is your interpretation of people or a person in photo where you have not idea what was going on in their minds so it is unlikely you have guessed correctly that they are "relishing" their kill.

Oh to be that psychic.

Edited by dog_fan

I have no problem with a sense of achievement. I do have a problem with someone relishing killing, however necessary.

God forbid, a person might exercise some rationality.

Do they relish "the kill" or the fact that there's one less feral cat out there destroying native wildlife?

Smiling in that context is entirely rational.

I'm not a fan of trophy hunting in any sense but I fail to see what's so heinous about this photo.

Who says its "evidence"? Someone's grabbed a shot in God knows what context and now its being used here to attempt to discredit Steve Austin. I'm not a fan but I don't agree that smiling for a camera with proof of the success of your latest feral animal eradication project is a cardinal sin.

I'm not discrediting Steve Austin. I know nothing about the man. All I know is a photo that I'm looking at. And I don't like the behaviour expressed in that photo. It's a matter of taste and choices re behaviour. I'm find it distasteful & don't agree with the choice of behaviour.

You do. Welcome to the world where people think differently. Where people have different values. 'God' and 'cardinal sins' have nothing to do with it.

'Nothing's either right or wrong, but thinking makes it so'. Which is why I read your position with interest, but I don't agree with it. And don't give a damn that you hold it.

I'm not discrediting Steve Austin. I know nothing about the man. All I know is a photo that I'm looking at. And I don't like the behaviour expressed in that photo. It's a matter of taste and choices re behaviour. I'm find it distasteful & don't agree with the choice of behaviour.

You do. Welcome to the world where people think differently. Where people have different values. 'God' and 'cardinal sins' have nothing to do with it.

'Nothing's either right or wrong, but thinking makes it so'. Which is why I read your position with interest, but I don't agree with it. And don't give a damn that you hold it.

I give a damn that this photo is supposedly "evidence" that Steve Austin is somehow an unfit person to be on the Companion Animals Task Force.

For all anyone knows, this is a staged photo, Steve was handed the dead cat and told to smile for the camera. Because that NEVER happens right?

I see people leaping to conclusions about the man based on bugger all evidence.. but that was the aim of the thread from the beginning no doubt.

How about this evidence:

STEVE: One of the most fulfilling things I can do is to get a dog from a pound or an unwanted animal, you know, no one wants him and to develop that attitude and that, that and that drive, into a really great dog.

Yeah, totally unfit. :rolleyes:

Edited by Telida Whippets

Not one to judge..

Next time you walk into KFC and smile while you eat, think about where your chicken comes from..

Next time you eat your hamburger and smile, think about where the mince came from..

Oh and Vegans.. yes you do just eat vegies but if you buy them from a store can you be sure that blood & bone weren't used to fertilise your food or the excrement from battery hens wasnt used used to prepare the soil..

Unless you are a person pictured in that photo you have no right to judge..

Maybe the smile is rewarding the dog for locating a cat.. Who knows ??

Understanding & correct information are the keys to animal rescue and public education .... Judgement and blame have no place here.

For all anyone knows, this is a staged photo, Steve was handed the dead cat and told to smile for the camera. Because that NEVER happens right?

confused.gif I am pretty sure if someone handed me a dead cat that is the last thing I'd do...

I have to wonder if the OP has ever encountered a feral cat in real life, they are not sweet cuddly creatures at all. I have 6 indoor cats myself and I love them, but they are so different to feral cats they seem Ike a different species.

Hunting is a sport, I've hunted in years gone by for roos, feral goats and rabbits. Loved it. I still love seeing experienced hunting dogs working together to bring down an animal much bigger than they are and quite capable of killing them.

I live out west where feral animals are a huge problem. I have NO issue with ppl hunting them, or with them hunting other animals for food for themselves or their dogs. I mean is the OP against fishing as well?

I have to say tho i think it's much easier to be anti hunting when you live in the city and don't ever actually encounter feral animals or witness the destruction they've caused.

I don't have an issue with the pic myself. Hunters are allowed to enjoy the success of their hunt.

I give a damn that this photo is supposedly "evidence" that Steve Austin is somehow an unfit person to be on the Companion Animals Working Group.

F

I have given my personal response to the photo. I've pointed out that, tho' I do not agree with what's presented in the photo, that does not constitute my discrediting a man I know nothing else about.

I have no idea how this man behaves in any other situation such as the Companion Animals Working Group in NSW.

A person's behaviour can not be predicted from one photo.

All my comments were specifically related to my personal response.

A person's behaviour can not be predicted from one photo.All my comments were specifically related to my personal response.

My point entirely.

Yes, and I hope you've also taken my point that people will & can differ in their personal responses to what is depicted in that actual photo.

Many posters have confined themselves to their personal responses.

I give a damn that this photo is supposedly "evidence" that Steve Austin is somehow an unfit person to be on the Companion Animals Working Group.

F

I have given my personal response to the photo. I've pointed out that, tho' I do not agree with what's presented in the photo, that does not constitute my discrediting a man I know nothing else about.

I have no idea how this man behaves in any other situation such as the Companion Animals Working Group in NSW.

A person's behaviour can not be predicted from one photo.

All my comments were specifically related to my personal response.

It was a judgemental attitude and assessment on how the people were feeling and behaving, based on a photo that you have no idea of the context. Critical thinking and analysis out the window, emotions in.

[

It was a judgemental attitude and assessment on how the people were feeling and behaving, based on a photo that you have no idea of the context. Critical thinking and analysis out the window, emotions in.

I disagree with you. Values people hold, are by their very nature related to emotions. And it's people's differing values which determined their responses to that particuar photo. Which is to be expected.

Values are subjective judgments about what is important to us.

My last word on the matter.

Edited by mita

I am not sure where this photo came from and have no comment about the motivations behind the photo nor the person themselves however I personally think this photo belongs back in this persons's personal facebook, twitter, flicker or website page or wherever it came from and has no place here.

I don't wish to see a dead cat hanging by a noose anymore than a dead feral dog, rabbit or fox here despite the need to control all of them.

I rescue cats and dogs. I eat meat and so do my cats and dogs. I know where it comes from. I also believe in feral animal control and believe skilled huntsmen are a necessary part of keeping our ecosytem intact.

However, we are not a "boars are us" website or any other hunting site where people can promote their hunting achievements or prowess so all this photo does it upset several of us - although not the likely aim of the original OP, this is what has happened.

I no more would like to see this photo in a working area of the forum where many of us try to save cats and dogs than I would a photo of a slaughtered cow on the wall at a restaurant I went to for dinner.

Hopefully this whole thread is removed soon.

I'm not having an opinion either way but I will point out that that cat would not have been recently hunted and held up as a 'prize'.

It's on a string because it is a carcass that is being used for TRAINING the dog to pick up the scent.

They use the string to drag it through the grass for the dog to follow and to reward the dog in the end by allowing it to interact with the body.

Yes it's not nice, but that's what has to be done to train the dog to follow the scent.

ETA: You can see that the body looks 'hollow', that's because all the internal organs etc have been removed. They are using the skin and head to train the dog.

Edited by melzawelza