Head Of The Piaa Caught In The Act.

Sadly, some people get a hit of some sick sense of satisfaction at seeing such images and then there are those who proudly display their catch on their walls through framed images or stuffed heads to increase that satisfaction. Puff your chest up guys and feel proud.

I think Austin made a very poor judgement call on this one. A PR nightmare that will have far reaching consequences. He, as a brand, is tainted and that taint is also dirtying the org he represents. They had an uphill battle as it is with many areas if the public and this isn't helping.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Austin made a very poor judgement call on this one. A PR nightmare that will have far reaching consequences. He, as a brand, is tainted and that taint is also dirtying the org he represents. They had an uphill battle as it is with many areas if the public and this isn't helping.

Hi. :)

My thoughts exactly. Very bad PR.

Although I don't know a lot about the subject.

In this issue my concern is the critical attitude that someone's lack of poor judgment brings out of people.

We then have two incidents of lack of poor judgment.

Negative criticism is a circular argument.

Personal criticisms are just intellectually dead.

If you take a stance against some issue it needs to be accompanied by suggested alternatives.

Some suggestions were proffered, however emotional retorts just elicit reflex replies.

Attention must be paid not to venture into moral exhortation or excoriation

We need to keep in mind that the jury is always out and beyond our own selfish opinions lies the ability to see another persons point of view.

Regards

Px

I agree Anne, Austin has a carefully engineered public persona - someone stuffed up here for sure. A picture speaks a thousand words - surely there was a better illustration of the good work that is being achieved?

In my opinion, you don't pose with pride over the death of anything. Whether it's deemed necessary or not. Show some respect!

He's not showing pride over the death, nor did he say he was.

If he was frowning you would have people up in arms saying he's against the eradication of feral cats, he can't catch a break either way.

How many people here have photos of themselves, or their husbands, smiling proudly whilst bbq'ing steak? I hope not, I'd hate to see you smiling over a dead piece of animal.

Perhaps some here would be better off putting their energy into actually rescuing, not having a go at someone over a photo.

It's a picture of some people smiling and holding up a dead cat, so what. The dog has been trained to do a job and is doing it well. The man trains many dogs to perform many tasks and regardless of what people think of him, he's very good at what he does. I'm no Steve or PIAA fan, but I can certainly understand his happiness and possibly even feeling elated, when it comes to the dogs achievements. I'd be smiling too.

Perhaps some here would be better off putting their energy into actually rescuing, not having a go at someone over a photo.

Agreed. For the time spent whinging over a photo, one could have donated their time and energy to a service or done something positive.

Doesn''t anyone see the irony of the head of an organisation that floods the market with undesexed cats by marketing them to impulse buyers, having fun hunting feral cats?

Put him on a rope and drag his sorry carcass around.

Doesn''t anyone see the irony of the head of an organisation that floods the market with undesexed cats by marketing them to impulse buyers, having fun hunting feral cats?

I think those that are blind to this irony are those that have lost clarity of the issue because of their dislike of the domestic cat in general. They see a cat and think of the damage that feral cats cause.

If it was a feral dog being held up by a noose the reactions would not be as they are in this thread.

Edited by ~Anne~

Greytmate, on 07 March 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

I think those that are blind to this irony are those that have lost clarity of the issue because of their dislike of the domestic cat in general. They see a cat and think of the damage that feral cats cause.

If it was a feral dog being held up by a noose the reactions would not be as they are in this thread.

totally agree - shot in very poor taste, size of cat it is not a very feral looking feral, as they are so much bigger, and if he really wanted to do something about the feral cat situation, how about not letting pet shops sell undesexed kittens, or puppies?

Greytmate, on 07 March 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

totally agree - shot in very poor taste, size of cat it is not a very feral looking feral, as they are so much bigger, and if he really wanted to do something about the feral cat situation, how about not letting pet shops sell undesexed kittens, or puppies?

I also considered size but then it could be young and that is why it is small, or it could be only a few generations into feral living. :shrug:

Guest lavendergirl

I think the picture is distasteful. While we should accept that culling of some animals is necessary I personally dislike the glorification of it.

THAT is what makes the photo so distasteful!

Steve Austin, president of the Pet Industry Association of Australia (PIAA) promotes and encourages the sale of undesexed puppies and kittens in pet shops and by doing so, supports the puppy & kitten farms that supply the pet shops. He's part of the problem .. kitty is bred (farmed) commercially for the pet shop market, kitty is bought on impulse from the pet shop, kitty is not desexed and has more kitties, too many kitties to re-home, some end up in the pound, some turn feral, Steve Austin goes hunting for the feral kitties.. and still continues to support the factory farming of companion animals and the sale of puppies and kittens in pet shops.

THAT is the problem with the photo!

There's a good chance he's just killed an offspring of one of the kittens that was sold in one of his 'PIAA accredited' pet shops. He may look like the good guy, working on the feral cat problem, but where did the problem start? What is PIAA doing to stop the sale of puppies and kittens in pet shops? What is PIAA doing to educate the public about the importance of desexing your pet? What is PIAA doing to help fundraise for more cost-effective or free desexing clinics? What is PIAA doing to stop puppy farming?

What PIAA is doing is having fun hunting the feral cats, continuing to add to the problem by supporting the sale of undesexed animals in pet shops, and posting the fun on facebook...

BTW, the original photo was posted BY Steve Austin on his facebook page.

This is his latest statement:

Hi guys, in light of the recent issue regarding yesterdays negative response re my photo I welcome all feedback and value your input. We have removed all discussion regarding this from my Facebook Page as, for me, is not the best medium to hear your view personally and I cannot guarantee I will see each message. Therefore we ask if all comments can be sent to feedback@steveaustindogtrainer​.com so that I can take the time to read each response. I welcome your comments and I can assure you that I am open to transparency on this matter so ask that you forward your comments and views directly to me.

It's still up for discussion on the PIAA facebook page http://www.facebook.com/petindustryassociation ... including the hundreds of comments asking for his resignation. It's all over other fb pages too, including overseas sites. I've been watching it all since the picture was first posted and it seems to be going a bit viral, the main reason being that this picture was personally posted by a well known dog trainer, who claims to be an 'animal lover' and is the president of an association which purports to care about animal welfare.

Steve Austin is one of the most well known dog trainers in Australia. I doubt you'll get many negative opinions.

I've only ever heard negative opinions on him. :shrug:

Really? I've seen him in person as well as on the news, and he seems like a really good dog trainer to me, as well as a pleasant person to be around. Nothing wrong with the way he trains dogs, and he trains dogs for conservation work all over the world. I don't really see how anyone could have a negative opinion of him.

I don't enjoy looking at that photo, but I don't find it "sick" (and I love cats, we have 7). If you kill pests for a living of course you can take pride in your work. That doesn't mean you're not a nice person or that you don't love animals. I know people who work for the RSPCA who euthanise animals every day, and they love animals and are really nice people. It's just a necessary evil.

Looks like a lot of comment threads have been removed from the PIAA Facebook page (though not the one in question - yet), including the comments about Steve's Rotty on TV segment.

Guest lavendergirl

Steve Austin is one of the most well known dog trainers in Australia. I doubt you'll get many negative opinions.

I've only ever heard negative opinions on him. :shrug:

Really? I've seen him in person as well as on the news, and he seems like a really good dog trainer to me, as well as a pleasant person to be around. Nothing wrong with the way he trains dogs, and he trains dogs for conservation work all over the world. I don't really see how anyone could have a negative opinion of him.

I don't enjoy looking at that photo, but I don't find it "sick" (and I love cats, we have 7). If you kill pests for a living of course you can take pride in your work. That doesn't mean you're not a nice person or that you don't love animals. I know people who work for the RSPCA who euthanise animals every day, and they love animals and are really nice people. It's just a necessary evil.

I don't think that is really a valid comparison. What they are doing is necessary yes but they are not photographing themselves proudly displaying the dead animals.

goodness me too many people with their knickers in a twist. The cat is dead, he didnt hang it, they shot it. Pick up any hunting magazine on the store shelf and you will see the SAME THING for page after glossy page - feral cats, foxes, pigs, birds, deer, feral dogs etc.

I think the only mistake was letting the photo get out so all the armchair activists could have a whinge about it.

goodness me too many people with their knickers in a twist. The cat is dead, he didnt hang it, they shot it. Pick up any hunting magazine on the store shelf and you will see the SAME THING for page after glossy page - feral cats, foxes, pigs, birds, deer, feral dogs etc.

I think the only mistake was letting the photo get out so all the armchair activists could have a whinge about it.

Exactly.

Exactly.

It's SO not about the fact that the cat is dead. It's got nothing to do with hunting magazines. This is about the president of PIAA.