Someone Sold Me A Pitbull Not A Cocker Spaniel

Atanquin

When my dog Smooch was a pup, my neighbours were convinced he was a joey (He's a smokey kelpie). When I purchased his sister Paige, same neighbours thought she was a baby wombat!

I've also had a policeman mistake my mini foal Abby for a dog. He had pulled me over for at an RBT site and spotted her sleeping on the back seat of my little excel (she was coming with me to work for x-rays). After the standard questions, he asked me if my dog was restrained. I told him that it wasn't a dog it was a horse, but yes she was restrained. I was asked to get out of the car and was asked if I had taken any drugs recently. After telling him no, the poor guy went and got his co-worker and brought him over, by this time Abby had woken up and was looking at all the comotion. Both cops thought it was hilarious that this tiny little pony was in a tiny little car (and she was wearing a dog rug). Next thing there's all the highway patrol cops from the 4 marked and 2 unmarked cars taking photos of Abby. I'll never forget that day, funniest thing I've ever had happen to me.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my dog Smooch was a pup, my neighbours were convinced he was a joey (He's a smokey kelpie). When I purchased his sister Paige, same neighbours thought she was a baby wombat!

I've also had a policeman mistake my mini foal Abby for a dog. He had pulled me over for at an RBT site and spotted her sleeping on the back seat of my little excel (she was coming with me to work for x-rays). After the standard questions, he asked me if my dog was restrained. I told him that it wasn't a dog it was a horse, but yes she was restrained. I was asked to get out of the car and was asked if I had taken any drugs recently. After telling him no, the poor guy went and got his co-worker and brought him over, by this time Abby had woken up and was looking at all the comotion. Both cops thought it was hilarious that this tiny little pony was in a tiny little car (and she was wearing a dog rug). Next thing there's all the highway patrol cops from the 4 marked and 2 unmarked cars taking photos of Abby. I'll never forget that day, funniest thing I've ever had happen to me.

:laugh: Poor cop, he must have thought you were out of your tree till he took a proper look at Abby.

:laugh: Poor cop, he must have thought you were out of your tree till he took a proper look at Abby.

LOL - I felt bad for the poor guy. I told my best friend about it (he's a highway patrol officer too). He rang up the poor guy and told him that I was his friend etc. The cop told my mate that he honestly thought I was on drugs cuz "What normal person has a horse in their car?", My friends response was: "Her!" I have been pulled over by that cop since, first question when he spotted it was me was "Where's the horse today?"

i never get breed confusion.. mainly cause we don't particularly know what their breeds are but apparently spider is a scary looking dog as told to me by several people... see my signature.... TERRIFYING!

Where does one get the idea that people wouldn't know a Pitbull if they saw it (providing that they had 20/20 vision)- is it from the media incorrectly identifying other dog/X breeds as one of them- and how would we know, unless there's photographic evidence of the wrong breed named?

It's something I've always wondered- :confused:

I think that they're very distinctive...

To you yes, to a lot of people who only ever hear about them no.

I came across sooooo many people who wouldn't have had a clue when I was working in a shelter.

Not to mention the huge amount of people who think anything with bull in the name is a pit bull.

Where does one get the idea that people wouldn't know a Pitbull if they saw it (providing that they had 20/20 vision)- is it from the media incorrectly identifying other dog/X breeds as one of them- and how would we know, unless there's photographic evidence of the wrong breed named?

I came across sooooo many people who wouldn't have had a clue when I was working in a shelter.

Not to mention the huge amount of people who think anything with bull in the name is a pit bull.

I once had a man around the corner tell me how vicous and uncontrollable pitbulls are as his off lead chihuahua ran up to my amstaff Juno. He didn't even bat an eyelid at Juno as his Chihuahua said g'day and Juno did a little play bow. The dogs he was talking about were massive mutts of unknown heritage that didn't look a bloody thing like a pitbull. If anything I'd say they had mastiff and shepherd in them. This is just one example of the many I have that say to me most people know jack about dog breeds. To people who are interested in dogs bull breeds have a distinctive look but to average Joe a 'pitbull' could be anything.

Not only that but some people believe the news like its the bible

Yes you heard I have been tricked, we went for a walk today when it wasn't raining and a man walking his kelpie told me that pit bulls where a danger to our community. I quickly corrected him saying no the only danger to community is the people and the stupid owners.

He the. Said said " I thought pit bulls where banned how did you get yours" that is when I burst out laughing I was wondering why he stopped to talk to me about that? Omg you should have seen his face when I stopped laughing and told him zorro was a cocker spaniel.

Omg I have never laughed so much in my life!!!!!!

a3eb5fb7.jpg

The deadly pitbull

He was old ,I thought maybe he didn't have his glass or somthing I did feel bad laughing so hard but really I think anyone would with that comparison.

I have had a bit of a joke with someone too in regards to a chi in a spiked collar, the joke was lost in space between joviality and serious=ness. I think we rolled eyes at each other when parting ways lol.

The thing that I find incredibly hard to believe, is the fact that someone would be naming a breed, when clearly they have no idea... I believe that someone who wouldn't have the foggiest is less inclined to name a breed if they don't know what that breed is supposed to look like IYKWIM. I've never seen the news (someone show me- I'd like to see) where they've named the breed and gotten it badly wrong, usually they're right on the ball* (obviously they've shown pictures or video evidence of said dog). I will admit though, that there have been cases of people who tend to say they have a certain breed, when what they have is a cross of that certain breed- *I can see where the media may choose to name only the part of the breed they like the most to up the ratings, while knowing full well, that said dog is a X of that breed.

Yes, so what I'm essentially saying, is that your average Joe is probably not going to know what a APBT is, probably isn't going to accuse a dog of being one (so Joe Blow isn't a problem).

I got asked if my dog was a Dingo.

I was asked.

That is a fantastically funny.....& cute.....story! :)

i bet all the police officers, armed with the pics, could hardly wait to get home to spread the tale.

The thing that I find incredibly hard to believe, is the fact that someone would be naming a breed, when clearly they have no idea... I believe that someone who wouldn't have the foggiest is less inclined to name a breed if they don't know what that breed is supposed to look like IYKWIM. I've never seen the news (someone show me- I'd like to see) where they've named the breed and gotten it badly wrong, usually they're right on the ball* (obviously they've shown pictures or video evidence of said dog). I will admit though, that there have been cases of people who tend to say they have a certain breed, when what they have is a cross of that certain breed- *I can see where the media may choose to name only the part of the breed they like the most to up the ratings, while knowing full well, that said dog is a X of that breed.

Yes, so what I'm essentially saying, is that your average Joe is probably not going to know what a APBT is, probably isn't going to accuse a dog of being one (so Joe Blow isn't a problem).

I got asked if my dog was a Dingo.

I was asked.

Not sure of the exact date but i will say end of last year beginning of this year... there was a news report stating a APBT was going to attack a child and a man hit it over the head with a wrench and saved the day..... they showed an image of the alleged dog and it was a Bull Terrier?

That is a fantastically funny.....& cute.....story! :)

i bet all the police officers, armed with the pics, could hardly wait to get home to spread the tale.

Apparently Abby's photo is pinned up to the bulletin board at the LAC. My friend was bragging that he knows "the crazy chick" who owns the "dog". Anytime I've seen my mate he asks me what animals are in the car today :o

[

Apparently Abby's photo is pinned up to the bulletin board at the LAC.

I hope they've put a sign under Abby's photo that says, 'This dog is a horse. Got it?' :)

LOL I'll have to ask Paul, I know they picked on the poor cop who pulled me over. For a while everytime he told his supervising officer (I think he was probabtionary at that stage) that there was an unrestrained dog a car, the response was something like "Not a horse like last time I hope". I know they ask Paul how Abby is going and when her next "adventure" will be (I think they want to pull me over again lol).

Not sure of the exact date but i will say end of last year beginning of this year... there was a news report stating a APBT was going to attack a child and a man hit it over the head with a wrench and saved the day..... they showed an image of the alleged dog and it was a Bull Terrier?

I found it. The first report called it a "pitbull cross", and one day later they've corrected themselves and called it a "bull terrier cross" while noting that is was incorrectly named the first time.

My Sibes, back when they were alive always got...

Minook was always a 'dingo' and I shouldn't have such a savage dog in suburbia....for shame at me

minook_001.jpg

Tusca was always a German Shepherd and I was wrong - even though Minook was his sire [breeder's contract] /sigh nope I didn't know my own dog's breed.

tusca_002.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the images...pre digital

Currently Scout usually gets picked as a Mastiff puppy, or just a puppy in general as he's so bouncy. Til they ask how old he is and get told he's almost 6 :laugh: