Rubber Dogs.

Blackdogs

Tonight, in a freak accident my 6kg Schipperke jumped over a five metre drop and landed on concrete. She has been assessed by two vets and has no injuries muscular or otherwise. Anyone else have a rubber dog? :confused:

Edited by Blackdogs

I had a Kelpie cross do that once - at the Red Hill Lookout, and she did hop on her hind leg afterwards for a few steps...

We were gob-smacked when we ran to the lookout, looked over, and there she was, nose to ground, pretending she *meant* to do that...

... and it was at least five metres, too :eek:

I had a Kelpie cross do that once - at the Red Hill Lookout, and she did hop on her hind leg afterwards for a few steps...

We were gob-smacked when we ran to the lookout, looked over, and there she was, nose to ground, pretending she *meant* to do that...

Incredible. If I had fallen five metres I'm sure I would have broken bones.

When I first moved out of home i had a back landing some 6ft off the ground that looked over a steep incline. My dobe used to jump off this landing, hit the ground running and make it to the back fence to bark at ther crows in seconds flat.We did put a rail up, she cleared that too...occasionally she would use the stairs.

One day a visitor let my very excited dobe out the back door (another bird) but was unaware my 3month old toy poodle was loose...she too followed the dobe out and before I knew it I reached the door only to catch a glimpse of my fluffy bub disappearing over the edge. I screamed, flew down the stairs relieved to see a fluffly pup happily covered in freshly cut grass...thankfully she had fallen into one of the lawnmower mans grass collection bags. She looked at me as to say ...what??????????!!!

Congrats on having a rubber dog....scary moment Im sure.

Wow, Blackdogs and dog geek, that is amazing! Those dogs are so lucky they didn't get hurt! It must've been such a shock for you

I was seriously panicked as I initially couldn't access the area to which she fell and had no idea of her condition.

Does your Schipp seem unaffected by gravity as well?

phew! I'm glad she's ok!

Its incredible she wasn't hurt. Makes you wonder whether its her size, her fulffy-ness, whether she was clever about the landing... or whether she was just really lucky!

I have no idea! I alwaus joked with people that she's indestructible because she just bounces, but this was ridiculous.

When I first moved out of home i had a back landing some 6ft off the ground that looked over a steep incline. My dobe used to jump off this landing, hit the ground running and make it to the back fence to bark at ther crows in seconds flat.We did put a rail up, she cleared that too...occasionally she would use the stairs.

One day a visitor let my very excited dobe out the back door (another bird) but was unaware my 3month old toy poodle was loose...she too followed the dobe out and before I knew it I reached the door only to catch a glimpse of my fluffy bub disappearing over the edge. I screamed, flew down the stairs relieved to see a fluffly pup happily covered in freshly cut grass...thankfully she had fallen into one of the lawnmower mans grass collection bags. She looked at me as to say ...what??????????!!!

Congrats on having a rubber dog....scary moment Im sure.

Wow! Lucky pup!

Scary story with happy ending....

Growing up I had a pitty x cairn called riff who was gorgeous but deep down a complete feral. He lived at dads and we had a verandah with a 1 metre high railing. The verandah was about 10 meters off the ground. Riff was inside one day, saw a possum on the rail and pelted out after it. Possum saw riff and jumped into the tree off the verandah. Riff jumped, over the railing, missed the tree and hit the brick path 10m below. Dad freaked, bolted down and grabbed him and went bolting to the vet with a conscious, but unmoving terrier cradled in his lap. Dad loved riff but wasn't one to pick up the dog, but he was completely freaking. Gets to the vet after calling on the way, completely panicked, runs through the door with riff cradled in his arms, where the vet was waiting, expecting a mangled mess. Riff looks up, saw another dog, leapt out of dads arms and strutted over looking for a fight, 110% ok! The dog was so shocked at dad picking him up that he froze. Vet gave him a quick once over then looked at dad, laughed and said 'mate, if you go through the door to the consult room it'll be about $300. If you leave now, it's free'

Dad slunk out with a very merry dog who leapt into the back of the ute and barked happily the whole way home :rofl:

He was an amazing dog-the only time he hurt himself was when he went swimming out the front (waterfront) and broke his leg after being hit by a boat. Didn't slow him down, he swam out and hopped over without a single complaint

Another DOLers pound puppy recalled when we were on a walk - took a direct route over an 8-10 foot drop. Landed in the artificial creek bed - base is stone - which had a small amount of water in it. We all held our breath and up he popped, shook the water off and finished the recall. No injuries!

Dogs, especially big dogs, are not rubber. Young dogs may suffer lifelong damage from drops on developing joints. It's great that the OP's dog seems to be ok, but please, don't assume big falls are safe. Physics says the impact is proportional to mass X velocity squared. A 40 kg dog will hit eight times harder than a 5 kg dog. Long ago, a dog I was walking off-lead (in a vast park that allowed off-lead dogs) fell ~8 m and ended out dead. Be careful.

Dogs, especially big dogs, are not rubber. Young dogs may suffer lifelong damage from drops on developing joints. It's great that the OP's dog seems to be ok, but please, don't assume big falls are safe. Physics says the impact is proportional to mass X velocity squared. A 40 kg dog will hit eight times harder than a 5 kg dog. Long ago, a dog I was walking off-lead (in a vast park that allowed off-lead dogs) fell ~8 m and ended out dead. Be careful.

Of course. I know I was extremely lucky, as were these other dogs. I'm sorry to hear of your sad story.

Someone recently told me a story about their friend's Lab who decided to jump off the edge off a cliff face. Of course he didn't survive. No dog is indestructible.

Incredible. If I had fallen five metres I'm sure I would have broken bones.

When I was younger I fell off a 4 FOOT high drop onto concrete and broke my arm in 2 places!!!

Latte, my coolie, fell off the top of the open stairs a month or so ago, a drop of about 10 feet or so. She just picked herself up, shook and ran off whilst I was standing there wtih my mouth opened.