New Vic Microchip Advertising Rules

We just had an email from a lady saying she was buying a puppy advertised online that she has contacted the breeder and googled their email address and the chip number advertised in the ad and found a listing of mine from Jan and that the same microchip number is being used. Chip belongs to a different breed, colour and sex than that advertised. Bit cheeky :(

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...surely these people can be charged under the act for false advertising...failling that Id forward the reply from the papers editor onto the relevant authorities.

Edited by redangel

A bit of a worry. I would contact the owner of the dog with that microchip number and let them know the number has been stolen, in case the details get changed on them, and they could notify the registery the number has been stolen, just in case.

just a thought, what about contacting the Microchiping mob eg: Canine Animal Registry & see if a cross reference can be done on the no. to see which breed of dog it belongs too :)

The chip number belongs to a pup the OP sold doesn't it :confused:

We ended up keeping the pup to run on. The listing states the pup is a different breed, sex and colour to the one the chip actually belongs too. The website has decided to keep the ad, had it been in a newspaper or a different advertising medium l think something could have been done but some poor person is going to buy that pup believing it is pure bred with papers and microchipped.

l just hope some BYB using my chip number and claiming to be a reg breeder does not cause me any drama.

We've contacted the site but they feel the requirements are being meet, l offered to scan a copy of the AAR paperwork so l guess it's a case of buy beware. The ad does say it is purebred with papers too :(

This is the part that worries me a lot... there has been a report of the "inconsistency", yet the advertising site refuses to do anything about it...

T.

Website contacted = The ad meets our requirments

AAR contacted = Yep the chip belongs to your dog, all good

Local council contacted = Try the website again

Dogs Vic contacted = Have the seller contact us and we can confirm it's a false number in the ad.

DPI contacted = We expected this but your the first case, have the lady that contacted you email us we just need to make sure your not the bad guy.

Seriously how are they going to police this. The buyer thinks the seller has bought the puppy from me and is on selling it, she has been told the papers have not been sent to her yet so in turn thinks l have them. Obviously different breed, sex and colour to the dog the chip really belongs to so l have no papers, vaccination record or info to give her.

We have caught out quite a few people using false microchip numbers on GT, it's a silly system, so easy to cut and paste and they don't get caught unless someone physically checks.

We have caught out quite a few people using false microchip numbers on GT, it's a silly system, so easy to cut and paste and they don't get caught unless someone physically checks.

What were the repercussions for these people caught out, has it been acted upon?

l decided to contatced the seller myself and enquire about the pup they are selling using my microchip number, below is the reply l got.

Hi there,

Coco is a purebred american cocker spaniel puppy aged 13weeks,She is up to date on shots,micro chipped,not fix,wells socialized toilet trained and house broken.She will be coming with all her accessories and papers.I bought Coco from a breeder in Queensland,when she was just 5weeks.She likes playing with kids and even befriend strangers and other animals,as she would play very much with the kids we meet every time we go for walks at the park.Coco is like a kid to me now,I won't spent most of the day with her,feeding and training her following the instructions on the manual given to me when I got her from Jason(breeder),because i have no time to take care of her,Coco is a little bug that you would want to have as a companion,when you think of a cocker spaniel with a gorgeous face and good complexion on her coat,Its Coco you think of.photos will prove am right.She is good with humans,obedient and devoted.submissive and befriend children very well as mentioned above.Its very difficult and painful for me to give her away just now,but honestly I cannot do otherwise than getting a very nice home where she will be happy.

I am willing to accept $650 as re homing fee for her and all accessories,not leaving out any.

I know there are a lot of families out there just like yours,who are interested in Coco,but I really need to make sure she get the right home by imposing an adoption fee and asking a few questions like the oneslisted below.

What experience have you on this breed in general?

Will you be willing to send me,or her breeder photos as she grows?That's what i have been doing since I had Coco from Jason.

How many hours at most will Coco spend alone if you were to get her?

If you can assure me to take good care of Coco by giving convincing answers,we can take it from there and see where it leads us to.I have no problem organizing her transportation to you.let me know where you are located.

looking forward to your response.

Regards